Mountain Project Logo

Book recommendation to kill time on 11-hr flight?

Original Post
Kevin F · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 5

What book would you recommend for someone who will be sitting on a plane for 11-hours? I have an upcoming flight on a budget airline and will be sitting in economy. Looking for captivating and entertaining book recommendations to help pass the time quickly. What do you recommend? 

rozaosa · · Longmont, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

No picnic on Mt Kenya!

Dave Russell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 125

Shantaram

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 20

Are you coming back soon?  Lord of the Rings.

will smith · · boulder · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 35
Alex Rosa wrote:

No picnic on Mt Kenya!

will smith · · boulder · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 35

+ 1, One of the best mtneering books I've read, I wish my copy would come back to me.

carla rosa · · CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 269
Dave Russell wrote:

Shantaram

+1  such a good book. I'll probably read again soon!

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Smoke a ton of pot before you get to the airport, drink half a 5th of whiskey, and than take a few sleeping pills when you get on. It should knock you out for most of the flight.

Gabe Cisneros · · Baltimore, md · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

Freedom of the Hills

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

What style do you normally like to read?  That will narrow down my recommendations.  If I had to choose a book for me, it would be either Good Omens or American Gods by Neil Gaiman, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, or To Kill a Mockingbird, or The Handmaids Tale.  

If you want climbing books, I'm not the one to ask.  If you like memoirs, my wife will be the one to ask.  It all depends on your taste

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Siddhartha is one of my favorites. For a climbing related book, Seven Years in Tibet

jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

If you're a normal person and aren't pretending to be intellectual, a song of ice and fire series will get you through a plane ride.

Jameson Young · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Tommy caldwell's book comes out in the 16th.

rozaosa · · Longmont, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

Conquistadors of the Uselessness is a another really good one 

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

The guy sitting next to me on recent flight was reading "The subtle art of not giving a fuck". It looks interesting. I haven't looked it up yet.

I'm currently reading "Becoming the Iceman" about Wim Hof and a young dufus who is trying to emulate him. It's interesting. Wim is absolutely amazing, and cocky, and detached, but has some amazing stories. Justin (the kid) has no clue what he's doing and is a terrible writer. It's fun to read a chapter or two and put it down for a week. It'd be a hard one to plow through.

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

The world of books is a big place.  Kind of hard to recommend anything without knowing what you like.  How about reading something related to where you're going.  Since I was an English major, I like more literary works, but since you're asking on this site, you might like something more outdoor/adventure related.  Jon krakauer has some good reads.  There's The Perfect Storm, by Sebastian Junger.  The Long Walk by Slawomir Rawicz (WWII prisoner escapesfrom Russian Gulag and walks to freedom in India).  Annapurna by Maurice Herzog. If you can find it, check out Four Against Everest.    Hemingway is easy and enjoyable reading:  The Sun Also Rises and For Whom the Bell Tolls are good reads.  Raymond Chandler is also top notch:  Farewell My Lovely and The Big Sleep.   

Andrew Reed · · CaƱon City, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 56

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Daniel Tocci · · White Plains, NY · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 45

Minus 148 degrees by Art Davidson 

Excellent story about the first winter ascent of Denali

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Any particular genre?  Climbing books?

dave custer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 2,411
Alex Rosa wrote:

No picnic on Mt Kenya!

The other two WWII mountaineering epics are good read: Heinrich Harrer "7 Years in Tibet" and Slawomir Rawicz "The Long Walk."

Nick Clinch "A Walk in the Sky": a successful mountaineering expedition on which nothing of note happens; my kind of trip...

plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 85

Climbing-related: Climbing Free, How to Rock Climb!, Mountain of My Fear/Deborah, Rock Warrior's Way

Other: Desert Solitaire, Into the Wild, On the Road, The Alchemist, The Four Agreements, Fast Food Nation

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Book recommendation to kill time on 11-hr flight?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started