Mountain Project Logo

Van life?

Original Post
Ian Ritterbush · · Lincoln, Ne · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Ian Ritterbush wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. So I've ditched the Colorado idea completely, too expensive. I was really looking st Tucson, Az because of Mt Lemmon. I think i am more leaning towards getting a van and traveling all over the country and live out of it for as long as possible or until I'd like. If anyone has done this or has any advice as far as best kind of vans, necessities within the van, making money on the road etc. I'm doing a lot of research but could always use personal advice or experience. I want to make this dream a reality so I may climb everyday in different and remote places.

Thank you so much!

By the way, my original post was to move to Colorado, I am now wanting to live the van life!

Dyllon W. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

What work skills do you have? Living in Boulder or Denver area is crazy expensive so you will need to have a job.

trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20

Sorry to hear, CO is a bummer these days 

NickinCO · · colorado · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 155
trailridge wrote:

Sorry to hear, CO is a bummer these days 

+1

Hope you have a good job! Especially finding pet friendly apartments...

Ralph Kolva · · Pine, CO · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 210

Enjoy your time in Greece and let us know when you get to Colofornia.

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121
Ian Ritterbush wrote:

My question is, where is the best place to move to that is within biking, hiking distance to great climbing routes but also affordable? 

This mythical place does not exist within the state of Colorado.  If this is what you are looking for, search elsewhere.

NickinCO · · colorado · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 155

Lots of areas in the west that have everything you seek. The problem is the routes won't be spoon fed to you out of a guidebook and there are no local REI's. Probably no jobs either but if you can work remotely on a computer I bet you could make a pretty good living. 

Thanks for the feedback guys. So I've ditched the Colorado idea completely, too expensive. I was really looking st Tucson, Az because of Mt Lemmon. I think i am more leaning towards getting a van and traveling all over the country and live out of it for as long as possible or until I'd like. If anyone has done this or has any advice as far as best kind of vans, necessities within the van, making money on the road etc. I'm doing a lot of research but could always use personal advice or experience. I want to make this dream a reality so I may climb everyday in different and remote places.

Thank you so much!

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

Let me ask you this. You are a 23 year-old Yank, living in Greece, and looking to move to Colorado to climb full time, right? Are you independently self sufficient and don't need to work?  The reason I ask is that there are plenty of inexpensive option with fantastic climbing, such as Canon City, Colorado western slope, or even something like Bishop or Saint George. The problem is that employment options in these places may be limited. 

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
Ian Ritterbush wrote:

Thank you so much!

Oh god, don't live in a van in southern Arizona, you will be burned alive in June.

Tucson isn't a bad place, but if you are looking to dirtbag it up you have better options, pick a different place like Flagstaff if you are so inclined to stay in Arizona; if you want real quality climbing outside the state, live in Moab or Index.

jgfox wrote:

Oh god, don't live in a van in southern Arizona, you will be burned alive in June.

Tucson isn't a bad place, but if you are looking to dirtbag it up you have better options, pick a different place like Flagstaff if you are so inclined to stay in Arizona; if you want real quality climbing outside the state, live in Moab or Index.

Thank you for the advice! But if I were to choose the van life, I would travel all over the states, Canada, South America etc, I have no intention to really settle down. I don't really want to "move" somewhere and have to pay rent when I'd rather spend money on climbing and gear. Any advice on this would be fantastic

the schmuck wrote:

Let me ask you this. You are a 23 year-old Yank, living in Greece, and looking to move to Colorado to climb full time, right? Are you independently self sufficient and don't need to work?  The reason I ask is that there are plenty of inexpensive option with fantastic climbing, such as Canon City, Colorado western slope, or even something like Bishop or Saint George. The problem is that employment options in these places may be limited. 

Only in Greece for the month to climb, unfortunately and fortunately (however you look at it) I will be coming back to Nebraska to work my ass off and save for a van in order to travel anywhere and not have to pay rent in a specific place. I appreciate the advice, any you have on van life would be great!

Ian Ritterbush wrote:

Thank you for the advice! But if I were to choose the van life, I would travel all over the states, Canada, South America etc, I have no intention to really settle down. I don't really want to "move" somewhere and have to pay rent when I'd rather spend money on climbing and gear. Any advice on this would be fantastic

In that case start your life adventure in Moab this fall, you are bound to find partners for climbs there on this site and you can shuttle over to Colorado's western slope and do climbs there with others.  When winter hits, head to southern California, Red Rocks in Nevada, and maybe southern Arizona.  Spring time comes, you should be pretty strong, you can head up to Yosemite and keep going north to Smith, Index, and then Squamish.

That would be a pretty awesome year.  Have fun, hope you got the means and motivation to support yourself doing this.

cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175

I've lived in CO for over 25 years and it has changed A LOT in the last few years. The population is growing rapidly (only partly due to legal weed), traffic jams are everywhere, housing costs are ridiculous (if you are lucky enough to find a place) and the more popular crags look like climbing gyms. Still a great state but not as great as it once was...

cragmantoo wrote:

I've lived in CO for over 25 years and it has changed A LOT in the last few years. The population is growing rapidly (only partly due to legal weed), traffic jams are everywhere, housing costs are ridiculous (if you are lucky enough to find a place) and the more popular crags look like climbing gyms. Still a great state but not as great as it once was...

Are you talking about just Denver or the entire east side from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins?

Chrissy · · Portland, OR · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 0

I lived in Boulder for 5 years and I loved it.  Climbing in Eldo and getting a beer at Southern Sun after is a hard day to beat.  Still, finding an apartment that I could afford, dealing with traffic, and tolerating all the people were certainly downfalls.  I live in SLC now and I love it.  My backyard (literally) is Little Cottonwood Canyon.  I am a weekend trip distance from Indian Creek, Red Rocks, Moab, the Winds, and if I really want to I can get in the car and be in Boulder in about ~7 hrs.  Plus, it's way more affordable, there's way more space, and the climbing community has been really friendly and accepting.  That being said, no one place is perfect.  Salt Lake has shitty beer, there's ridiculous sprawl, and I haven't experienced an inversion yet but I hear they suck.  I have also lived in TN and Oregon, and could argue really positive and negative points for each.  Still, SLC has been my favorite and would totally endorse moving here! It isn't Coolorado, but it's Utahwesome. 

I am really looking into this! If you have any advice that would be fantastic!!

Tim Lutz wrote:
cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175
jgfox wrote:

Are you talking about just Denver or the entire east side from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins?

I live in Broomfield (Northern Denver), so talking mainly about the Denver Metro and Boulder area. 

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
Chrissy wrote:

Salt Lake has shitty beer, 

Geez, what style?  I'd stack Uinta, Squatters (UBC), Two Row (Epic can be ok and I just tried a tasty Shades of Pale) up against nearly any brewery in Colorado...

Uhhh, I mean, you're right.  Terrible beer, and, the rock is choss and the skiing sucks too.  Tell your friends.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Van life?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started