Mountain Project Logo

Has anybody eaten shrimp?

Original Post
Lisa Goldberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

What are peoples experiences with shrimp? Is it like chicken?

Joe Virtanen · · Charlotte, NC · Joined May 2010 · Points: 241

Got the same size as my Miuras. Fit is good, heel is good. I've taken them up vertical granite trad routes and overhanging sandstone sport routes so far, and on both the performance has been good.

I've only had them for a few weeks, so I can't speak to their durability, but overall they are a great shoe at a price point lower than Miura/Solution.

Eddie Ferrer · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 15

A little shameless self promotion. Try SizeSquirrel to find your size.

sizesquirrel.com/shoe/la-sp…

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Joe Virtanen wrote:Got the same size as my Miuras. Fit is good, heel is good. I've taken them up vertical granite trad routes and overhanging sandstone sport routes so far, and on both the performance has been good. I've only had them for a few weeks, so I can't speak to their durability, but overall they are a great shoe at a price point lower than Miura/Solution.
Joe, have you owned a pair of pythons prior to compare them to?
Joe Virtanen · · Charlotte, NC · Joined May 2010 · Points: 241
Nick Drake wrote: Joe, have you owned a pair of pythons prior to compare them to?
I have not, sorry.
Luke Bertelsen · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 4,867

Love 'em.

Same size as Miura VS, Genius, and Katana Lace for me.

Edit: I'm actually a half euro size smaller in the Skwama.

RAZORsharp · · CA · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 825

I wear size 41.5 in Futura, Size 41 in Muira, and I had no dead space (perfect fit) in the Skwamas, size 40.5

Hard to judge the sizing, but they fit amazing!

dukle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

I just picked up a pair to tide me over while my Solutions are getting resoled.  I ended up with the same size in both (43.5).  The Skwamas are slightly less stiff, and the heels are maybe slightly better, but overall they are very similar to Solutions.  Despite this, I would say the Solutions have a better velcro/strap system and seem better constructed overall.  It also seems like the Swkamas will stretch quite a bit more -- this might be good if you're looking for a comfortable gym shoe.  Otherwise I'd recommend shelling out the extra $40 and getting some Solutions instead, assuming you like this style of shoe.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
DustinKleckner wrote:

I just picked up a pair to tide me over while my Solutions are getting resoled.  I ended up with the same size in both (43.5).  The Skwamas are slightly less stiff, and the heels are maybe slightly better, but overall they are very similar to Solutions.  Despite this, I would say the Solutions have a better velcro/strap system and seem better constructed overall.  It also seems like the Swkamas will stretch quite a bit more -- this might be good if you're looking for a comfortable gym shoe.  Otherwise I'd recommend shelling out the extra $40 and getting some Solutions instead, assuming you like this style of shoe.

This also depends on your foot shape. I purchased Skwamas in a 39.5 since this thread started (same size as my pythons, 1 euro lower than performance TC pro and 2 lower than katana lace sized for thin cracks). The solutions have more taper to the small toes and don't stretch in the toe box to allow room for my pinky toe. Skwamas are much more comfortable. I have actually found the skwama pretty versatile, I've been happy using them for thinner routes outside due to the sensitivity.

Nathan · · Tel Aviv · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 107

They're fantastic. Weirdly excellent performance out of what is essentially a slipper. 

Jack Stephenson · · Dadeville, AL · Joined May 2016 · Points: 25

I sized down 0.5 eu from my solution/katana lace. I really enjoy the shoe. The heel took some getting used to, and the stiff plastic piece on the inside of the ankle was almost a deal breaker, but after a few sessions neither of those two things ended up being an issue. Would recommend. 

T-Bob · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 50

Love 'em!

Performance has been great for steap to slightly overhanging face. Feels like a custom glove for my mid-wide fugly feet. Heel hook better than anything I've used (Miura, Moira vs, Boostic, Moccasym, etc...)

Added bonus, finger/ ring lock cracks! The fit has relaxed enough from stretching that they still perform on the steap stuff but let the spit in the sole allow my feet to wiggle in the tight stuff. 

TC Pro- 44

Miura vs- 43

Skwama- 42.5

Two notes: 

I'm going to start rolling with one pair 1/2 smaller and one at regular fit. The tighter pair will be reserved for the steap pockets and glassy smears where I live now. 

The Skwama's don't edge on anything less than obviously easy. They do however smedge (smear/edge) on minuscule protuberances like nothing I've used before. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "Has anybody eaten shrimp?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started