Mountain Project Logo

Does coca cola have a special ingredient that somehow makes us feel good and climb harder?

Original Post
Pil Jungli · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 60

From what I've seen coke must be a special drink . It's not just any old canned carbonated drink. Otherwise Ashima would never have accepted sponsorship from them. 

Has any body else had that 'special feeling' after a coke hit which makes you feel like 'yes I WILL send now' ? I mean compared to red bull which was basically copied from a Thailand conconction of a different nature. It's way stronger than coke and has more caffiene along with other chemicals and stimulants. 

We are mostly all guilty users so...

Which is the best? 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Well they do use cocaine leaves when they make it so maybe it still picks up some of that.

I thought it was banned to put the cocaine leaves in it nowadays. If they still put it then I'll sign up.   

It could explain why a ten year old girl can do V13 boulders but I suspect red bull is better somehow.  

Why does everybody love red bull and not coke? Why did she sign up with coke anyway?

S.price,

Does she have any idea what she has signed into?  

I mean as well as being just another useless beverage without any nutritional value it's actually got deeper significance in the way of pushing mainstream products which are so damaging to people and the environment all over the world. Surely she has enough money from other sponsers? 

Maynard · · Lisbon, ct · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 1

There's a man in ct in his late 60's still crushing living on Coca Cola and peanut m&m's. Maybe there's something to it.

Maynard, 

Does he know what is in that coca cola or does it just make him feel like really goood for 3 minutes (enough time to send your project) Is there a 'come down' 

Kevin R · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2008 · Points: 290
Pil Jungli wrote:

S.price,

Does she have any idea what she has signed into?  

I mean as well as being just another useless beverage without any nutritional value it's actually got deeper significance in the way of pushing mainstream products which are so damaging to people and the environment all over the world. Surely she has enough money from other sponsers? 

My guess is she has a good idea what she signed into?  Probably well over six figures.  I've got to imagine that the paycheck from Coca-Cola is way more than all her climbing sponsors combined.  Why the hell wouldn't she take that deal?  In this day and age, if you become fat and diabetic because you're slugging 2 litters of coke every day, thats your own fault, not Ashima's.  I personally don't drink coke unless it's got rum in it, but if Coca-Cola wanted to write me a big fat check to sell coke to idiots...sign me up.  Climbing has gone mainstream, this is the result.  My guess is that you wouldn't have a problem with Sharma being sponsored by Budweiser.  That's just sexist, racist, beveragist, and probably some kind of micro-aggression.  

K.Le Douche, 

Quite liked that one but let's face it Coca-cola is very different. 

It's THE no.1 symbol of American cultural hegemony in the whole world to the extent that a poor labourer in india will spend a quarter of his daily wages on it while he and his family are hungry and malnourished. This is mainly because of the subtle but very strong subliminal advertising. You can't walk in any village or town anywhere in India without the coca cola sign burned in your brain from every sign board and wall. There is no escape. They could buy a fresh coconut for a fraction of the price but have been brainwashed into thinking coke will be better. For him and his malnourished family. That is sad and now climbers are helping.  

Maynard · · Lisbon, ct · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 1

One can only speculate.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Pil Jungli wrote:

K.Le Douche, 

Quite liked that one but let's face it Coca-cola is very different. 

It's THE no.1 symbol of American cultural hegemony in the whole world to the extent that a poor labourer in india will spend a quarter of his daily wages on it while he and his family are hungry and malnourished. This is mainly because of the subtle but very strong subliminal advertising. You can't walk in any village or town anywhere in India without the coca cola sign burned in your brain from every sign board and wall. There is no escape. They could buy a fresh coconut for a fraction of the price but have been brainwashed into thinking coke will be better. For him and his malnourished family. That is sad and now climbers are helping.  

If people took responsibility for themselves, they wouldn't blame America, Coca-Cola and climbers. 

Frank PS How can a simple village guy in India know anything about the company and what it does, what is in the drink etc.  The coca cola company have heavily targeted India for a very good reason. Yes it's a huge market but they also know what they can get away with.

You may say, let's not blame coca-cola.

Sorry but.......

"The Indian Parliament has banned the sale of Coke products in its cafeteria," Srivastava added. "The parliamentarians should take the next logical step, and ban the sale of Coke products in the entire country." He said the ban came as a result of tests by the Indian government and private laboratories which found high concentrations of pesticides and insecticides in the colas, making them unfit for consumption. " samples tested showed the presence of these toxins to be more than 30 times the standard allowed by the European Union. Tests of samples taken from the U.S. of the same drinks were found to be safe," he said.

Jeffrey Arthur · · Westminster, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 290

You guys are so flipping judgmental. If Coke offered me more money than the best climbing sponser could ever fathom I'd sure as hell do it in a second.

As Richard Pryor once said, "Just grab a Coke and a smile and STFU!"

Jarther,  Even if it was more than you needed and you already had enough already?

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Pil Jungli wrote:

According to wiki...

After 1904, instead of using fresh leaves, Coca-Cola started using "spent" leaves – the leftovers of the cocaine-extraction process with trace levels of cocaine.[70] Since then, Coca-Cola uses a cocaine-free coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey.

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

I think she thinks getting paid is best!

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

Pil, you kook.

If a grown man spends a quarter of his wages on coke instead of food for his family, it's no ones fault but his own. Wanton advertising not withstanding. 

If a young girl growing up in one of the worlds most expensive cities gets an offer that could possibly set her right for life, it would be prudent to accept. 

Not everyone can run away to India with a trust fund.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
rain cloud wrote:

Is climbing getting so popular now, that the big companies are getting involved in sponsorship?

Since climbing will be in the 2020 Olympics, you can bet on it.

Hey Simply, What's with you man? What's with the baseless personal attacks and childlike name calling? Does everybody have to like the fact that coca cola is getting into climbing?  I'm sure a lot of people are happy like you seem to be but not everybody right. There are also a lot of of people including climbers that dislike the company for very good reasons. If you do some research about it you will see why so many people in India dislike them. 

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

You will frequently see people doing ultra mountain bike races (100 miles+) slamming coke at points during the ride. There must be some reason for it. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

Would it be different if she endorsed diet Coke?

Do you do crack before sending? Does it help or am I reading it wrongly?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Does coca cola have a special ingredient that s…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started