Mountain Project Logo

Whoever thought it was a good idea to bring climbing chalk into the lava tubes

Original Post
Politically Correct Ball · · From WA to AZ · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

should be severely beaten with broomsticks!   

No, NorCal (is AZ part of the PNW now?)

Deep in the tubes there were piles of chalk, and there they will remain for all eternity 

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Politically Correct Ball wrote:

Deep in the tubes there were piles of chalk, and there they will remain for all eternity 

Can't you just pick it up? JB

Xam · · Boulder, Co · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 76

You're righteous indignation is a bit muted by the fact that there is a northern california region on here, as well, that you could have more accurately posted in.

John Barritt wrote:

Can't you just pick it up? JB

Nope! 

I don't know what you're envisioning, but it's embedded in the lava flow. It will be there from now until there is a major tectonic event which likely ends all life in the PNW.

No water flows, no air breezes, no animals roam. It's beyond a mile of tunneling so you can't take, say, a pressure washer or whatever and there is nowhere for the water to flow anyway. The only solution I can think of is a battery powered vacuum cleaner which not only wouldn't be effective but nearly impossible due to hauling heavy batteries while crawling through 10" passages. 

Under what situation can you just "pick up" powdered chalk, anyway? Are you environing a glass-like floor where you can use a broom?

Lurk Er · · Truckee, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 5,289

You sure it's not just bat shit?

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

Lurker wrote:

You sure it's not just bat shit?

White, fluffy bat shit? 

Scott McMahon wrote:

Yeah, good luck with that

Nope! 

I don't know what you're envisioning, but it's embedded in the lava flow. It will be there from now until there is a major tectonic event which likely ends all life in the PNW.

No water flows, no air breezes, no animals roam. It's beyond a mile of tunneling so you can't take, say, a pressure washer or whatever and there is nowhere for the water to flow anyway. The only solution I can think of is a battery powered vacuum cleaner which not only wouldn't be effective but nearly impossible due to hauling heavy batteries while crawling through 10" passages. 

Under what situation can you just "pick up" powdered chalk, anyway? Are you environing a glass-like floor where you can use a broom?

You said "piles" bud, so that's what I envisioned, piles on the ground. How about a gallon jug of water and a sponge, a whisk broom perhaps, a pump up sprayer full of water. It's chalk, not tar. JB

John Barritt wrote:

You said "piles" bud, so that's what I envisioned, piles on the ground. How about a gallon jug of water and a sponge, a whisk broom perhaps, a pump up sprayer full of water. It's chalk, not tar. JB

Sorry, but that's not going to work. I'd be entertained if you tried that, however. 

A gallon jug, huh? Where is the water going to flow? How are you going to use a sponge? This is volcanic rock, not a teacup and saucer. 

Have you ever seen a lava field?

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Chalk in a lava tube is the equivalent of spray paint.

Ball, if you want to try to remove it, there are resources within the caving community related to cave repair and rehab.

Getting cavers involved in this kind of episode is kind of like poking a beehive with a stick, though.

Just trying to help bud. Most chalk "disappears" when wet. A gallon of water and a sponge, dab the chalk to pick it up, pull it off. Wash it off with the pump up sprayer and pick up the water and chalk with some dry rags. Take the pump up sprayer, No Water, pump it up and blow the chalk off to diffuse it so its not noticeable anymore..

That's all I got. 

If you're sure none of this will work don't try it. JB

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966

Bitches on the internet... doesn't take anybody's advice about how to fix the situation....

Jon Rhoderick wrote:

Bitches on the internet... doesn't take anybody's advice about how to fix the situation....

All I'm saying is it won't work.

If you could get a dyson vacuum down there and somehow power it (lol), it might. A little handheld vacuum isn't going to do much. Maybe a chemist knows of a chemical process that could turn magnesium carbonate black. 

I can only hope nobody else gets the bright idea of bringing chalk down the tubes. 

Aaron Wilson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Always sad to see the impact on the tubes from people going in unprepared. Quite a few piles of slowly decaying tp/feces around the Mt. Adams area.

Ryan Underwood · · Laguna Hills, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 55

Bringing in chalk was not the brightest move but from my limited experience in lava tubs, I found them to be VERY porous with the exception of certain flows.  My guess is that the water would seep right through, possibly taking the chalk with it.  At a certain point it will probably just look like guano but I doubt you'll be able to get it all out.

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

Man, I get why you're frustrated but why are you being such a prick to people offering ideas?

No, not everyone HAS seen a lava flow or been in the tubes. Why don't you try to explain what the situation is and what the preventive aspects are instead of being snarky and condescending?

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

...off to a good start

Ryan, I doubt it would seep through. It would most likely just dribble into crannies where it would be even harder to remove. 

Maybe in 2000 years it'll become one of the attractions: "and here we see some droppings by primitive climbing man..."

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

And the award for worst troll account goes to.....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Whoever thought it was a good idea to bring cli…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.