Mountain Project Logo

Petzl Connect Adjust

FourT6and2 ... · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 45
baldclimber wrote: I'll have to get around to doing a review of it.
Don't do a review unless you're a good salesman and can convince Stagg54 to buy one. Or else face his wrath and mighty e-schlong.
Michael C · · New Jersey · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 340
baldclimber wrote: That's why I went with the Kong Slyde - I can use it with any length rope that I want. It also does everything the Connect does, including shorten/lengthen-ing the tether under load. I'll have to get around to doing a review of it.
My Slyde was delivered yesterday.

@baldclimber, you were spot on about rope diameter. Tried it with my 9.8 and it was very tight. Pulling in slack was tough. Trying to release slack was nearly impossible. My buddy is going to donate a few feet of his 9.1 to me. Should be fine.

If you're trying to replicate the Connect Adjust (which was my intention) and save money, Slyde is the way to go. I bought mine for a little over $10. So long as you have a few feet of rope to create your tether, you're golden. But it basically works the same as the Connect Adjust's "adjustable arm". I think the Connect Adjust is 95cm/37inches. I'll probably make mine a little bit longer.

If it's not for you, it's not for you. This wouldn't be an everyday, every climb piece of equipment for me but after seeing the Connect Adjust in use I'm impressed by what it can do in certain situations and set-ups and was compelled to get one/make one for myself.
baldclimber · · Ottawa, Ontario, Canada · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6
Michael C wrote: My buddy is going to donate a few feet of his 9.1 to me. Should be fine. I think the Connect Adjust is 95cm/37inches. I'll probably make mine a little bit longer.
~10' is probably the right length, accounting for the knots in each end, and a clove hitch in the middle when using it to extend the rappel. As an option use a
"scaffold knot" to attach a second carabiner at the end instead of just a stopper knot. This gives you a second attachment point if you're doing rappels where you are hanging at the rap station. If you use the scaffold knot, make sure it's tied correctly
simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

I love how insecure climbers are.

"hey I use X."
"oh, I use Y because I don't like this about X.'
"fine. whatever. don't buy one then. whatever."

"hey, I use X'
"me too."
"you're so cool."

simplyput wrote:I love how insecure people are.
Fixed that for you.
simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60
baldclimber wrote: Fixed that for you.
no, what you did was ruin the pun...
simplyput wrote: no, what you did was ruin the pun...
Huh? Oh, now I get it! I love puns but missed that totally, sorry!
Aaron Danforth · · Cody, WY · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 0

I have the dual connect adjust (has a pigtail for extending your rappel) and I quite like it, but it really only comes out when I'm rapping multipitch routes. I know I could have made something that would work similarly for far cheaper, but I like to make it rain for the climbing gear companies. C.R.E.A.M.

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10
FourT6and2 wrote: You edited your post for more than just spelling. I saw your first version. You changed what you wrote. I don't need to convince you. And I'm not playing your weird games. Don't use the thing. You don't need it. Use whatever you want.
Isn't the point of review to tell people how awesome something is and why they should use it, or how horrible it is and how they should stay away from it? Am I missing something here. I'm trying to learn something by having an intelligent consversation. Apparently you are either not able or not willing.
Gunkiemike wrote: Hey, can I play? Clearly (to me) this Adjust device has two main appeals: 1. It's a cool new gadget for folks who like to adorn themselves with CNGs. We all know people like that. 2. It does adjust quickly and easily, hence the name. Is it better/faster than a clove hitch? If you're bringing the second up on a rope-on-bolts anchor like what FourT6 posted above (this is something I do often), then changing the length of the tether throws the anchor out of whack. Maybe just an inch or two (who needs equalization on bolts anyway?) but if I'm stretching a couple feet to look out over the edge, it's going to be a bit of an issue. And if the second happens to be weighting the rope at the time, fuggetabout it. I imagine the same issues come into play if the belayer is weighting the anchor e.g. hanging belay stance, and needs to adjust e.g. pull in tight to reach higher on the anchor to redirect the brake strand, start the guide mode release process etc. So IMO it can do things easily that a CH can't. Would I ever buy one? Not a chance.
Those are all very valid points. Thank you for contributing.
Bill Kirby wrote: I could see the benefit of using the Connect at the top of a route before rapping back down. At some point you gotta go in direct so the ropes can be freed to rap with. I can think of plenty of ice routes and some rock where the adjustment could come in handy to stay comfortable. I could see using the Connect if you wanted to tether in but not extend your rappel. I wouldn't buy one either but I also wouldn't pull the typical point and laugh at the PAS thong either.
good point. I see it being useful in that situation as well.
JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56
This thread wrote:It's not the same I thing I use, so it is clearly inferior in every situation. Also, probably just a money making gimmick woven from the hair of slaughtered orphans. It might even be a damning sin.
Basically how this thread has gone.
Eric K · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 45

I have one, cool device, easy to use, works as advertised. Its not the cheapest or lightest option out there. It's also not perfect for all situations. My wife loves it for cleaning sport routes. I use it when guiding.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

I have the dual version of the connect adjust, which has a fixed end and an adjustable end. A few notes:

1. The adjustable end works really nicely, adjusting much more easily than a Prusik anchor or PAS, especially under load.
  2. The tail of the adjustable can be a bit dangly when the adjustable end is clipped to my gear loop. I tuck it into my leg loop but it's still a little less than ideal.
  3. The dual connect adjust really shines when doing an extended rappel. I keep the adjustable end clipped to my anchor while I set up the rappel off the fixed end.
  4. Petzl recommends using their Spirit carabiner. This is great for the adjustable end, but when I use the non-adjustable end for extended rappel, I find a pear-shaped, round stock biner gives a smoother rappel. My preferred rappel biner is the DMM Rhino because it's only round stock on the part that needs to be, but this doesn't fit into the fixed end of the connect adjust. I doubt other round-stock carabiners would fit. I'm experimenting with the Petzl Attache biner which seems to work better for rappel than the Petzl Spirit biners (because of the pear shape) but not as well as the DMM Rhino biners (because of the I-beam stock). It would be better if the non-adjustable end had a slightly larger loop to accommodate a wider variety of rappel biners.

Overall, the device has some tradeoffs versus the alternatives I have tried, but I think I prefer it over a Prusik anchor or a PAS. I haven't tried the Kong Slyde, and it seems like that might mitigate some of the problems with the dual connect adjust, so I might give it a try this summer.

Jake- Up · · Santa Cruz CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 165

I enjoyed using the petzl adjust rapping from middle cathedral it was easy to use, and makes for efficiency at bolted belays/rap anchors

FourT6and2 ... · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 45

Still using this thing as my main personal anchor. Still like it. Works great. I've noticed more and more people at the crag using these too. But I guess the experts on MP have the final word...

Lewis H · · rapid city, SD · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 5

I started using this as my personal anchor and I love it. It's handy and it is like how you can change the lengh with ease. It was a bit pricey but I don't think you can put a price on your life, I trust it...

Karl Henize · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 643

I have the "dual connect adjust". After a brief testing period, I decided to chop off the short end designed for rappel device extension.  This modification makes it essentially the same as the "connect adjust"

I find that creating an extended rappel by clove hitching my belay device carabiner into the long strand (with slider) is more than adequate.  I felt that the additional bulk of the second short strand and the need to keep it clipped into a carabiner on my gear loop made the "dual" significantly worse than the connect adjust.  

I would have preferred that Petzl use a smaller diameter cord for the connect adjust, as the rope currently being used seems unneccisarily bulky.  I would be interested in using the aluminum slider on skinnier 7mm - 8mm cord.

Has anyone tried using the aluminum slider on skinnier cord?

Eric K · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 45
Karl Henize wrote:

Has anyone tried using the aluminum slider on skinnier cord?

I would be very interested in hearing about this as well. I don't really want to tear mine apart but using it with some 8mm rope would be much less bulky and that would solve my biggest issue with it.

chris vultaggio · · The Gunks · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 535

I use a petzl adjust as part of my shooting rig, works great for quick and bomber positioning when I need to get out of the way of the climber (ie tensioning over on a piece). Can be tricky to unload, but you get used to it after a while - and I really dig how quick and non-fumbly it is to work with. However I really don't use while climbing, I prefer double length slings for my personal anchor because of the bulk/versatility factor. Many folks I know do use them for anchors and do dig them.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "Petzl Connect Adjust"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started