Mountain Project Logo

Anyone know of any good places to repel?

Original Post
Eamon Sigler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Does anyone know where any good places where you can hike up and repel down?  I've done little Si and that's fun but I'm looking into some more places and sombre more views! Please help me find some cool places!

Snah Ntrm · · Seattle · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

Anywhere you can climb up! I don't know who in their right mind would more enjoy the rappelling side of climbing though...

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

Run-down dive bars, abandoned railyards, in alleys behind dumpsters... repellency is everywhere when you start to look. 

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Hans Martin wrote:

Anywhere you can climb up! I don't know who in their right mind would more enjoy the rappelling side of climbing though...

Rappeling is a gateway drug ;)

TaylorLutz · · Seattle · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 65

any bridge should do if its short enough

Mike McMahon · · Little Cottonwood Canyon, UT · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 940

Anywhere with high  mosquito populations will do: The South, The Wind Rivers, The Northeast, Central America....

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

What are you trying to repel? Mosquitos? Noobs? 

Mike McMahon · · Little Cottonwood Canyon, UT · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 940

Fair point on the noobs. In that case, try Boulder Canyon, Calico Basin, or virtually every gym...

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 396

Repel is for bugs

Rappel is for going down 

As far as where you can try it in the PNW, anywhere kinda steep with a tree that you can throw a rope around! Start at a low angle - something steepish that you can still walk down. Then when you are comfortable you can move up to steeper angles. 

Rappelling is really not that hard, you'll probably figure it out on your first try. Most people who fail at it (and die) don't have issues with the basic mechanics of it. Usually the errors come from setup, conditions, exhaustion, etc. 

Nathan Flaim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

You could rappel down any popular sport route on any busy weekend.  That way you could be repellant and rappelling all at the same time!   Talk about efficiency.  Who has time for double entendres anyhow?

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

I repel people every where I go. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

I'd probably recommend a science store.  Anywhere you can find magnets, really...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Anyone know of any good places to repel?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.