Mountain Project Logo

Lovers Leap Conditions

Original Post
Madeline Farmer · · Oakland, California · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Does anyone have the current status on Lovers Leap? Is it accessible/climbable currently? Just curious on the snow status in Lovers! Thank you :).

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

Tons of snow and more tonight.

Colton L · · Colorado · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 15

I drove past it on Friday before the most recent precipitation, and it was definitely still snow-covered... and I'm not snow adverse either.

Elevations as low as Kyburz have been completely melted out by my standards and even they are seeing 2-4" inches tonight (3/26).

Erick Ern · · Santa Cruz, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 915

What are the chances of being able to snowshoe in and do some climbs that may be dry?

Greg Carlisle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 5

wet round here!!!
Better bring the rainboots...and a thong.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=w9M6o…

Steve G · · Portland, OR · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 29

Totally guessing but I imagine routes will be very wet for another month or so. The climbing area is mostly north facing and snow above climbs will continue to run off making the climbs wet.

Here's a drone video of the area from 4 days ago:

instagram.com/p/BR_pI6UhBg-…

Cheers,
Steve

Jason Ringenberg · · South Lake Tahoe · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

It's not climbable. Did Bolee Gold and Dominion on the loaf last week though and it's good to go!

Kelley Gilleran · · Meadow Vista · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 2,812

Wrights Lake Road has hella snow

Robert Chow · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Given all the snow this winter, is Lovers Leap likely to be in climbing condition by mid May? 

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430
Robert Chow wrote:

Given all the snow this winter, is Lovers Leap likely to be in climbing condition by mid May? 

Impossible to say if it doesn't stop snowing...cold storms in May are very possible....BUT...other than snow at the base that is gonna be there for a long while all we need is 2-weeks of sun to dry out the seeping from the rim for most routes.

Matt Hostetler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 141

How's it looking now?

Kelley Gilleran · · Meadow Vista · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 2,812

Still a couple weeks out for good conditions. Theres been a lot of rain/snow.

Craig Allen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 60

Its on! Climbed hogsback and east wall on Friday. Bone dry and perfect temps. Some snow on descent. Main has alot of snow on descent but climbs look dry.

Ryan Bottesini · · From the Northeast · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 341

On a road trip south to LA. Looking for a partner to climb here next week. 

Any takers?

I'm flexible on the timing. May 10-14

PM or call at 5033279441

Matt Hostetler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 141

Thanks for the update Craig!

Steve G · · Portland, OR · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 29

Saw a couple instagram photos of folks climbing yesterday and over the weekend at Lovers Leap on Hogsback and East Wall. Looks like there may still be snow on top of other areas (wet routes).

Amanda L · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 45

We did Surrealistic Pillar and Corrugation Corner yesterday and the route was pretty dry. It's still very cold in the shade, especially if you get an early start. The face warmed up fast in the afternoon once the sun hit it so bring your sunscreen.

The walk off descent from CC was a bit dicey, to say the least. There was plenty of snow patches up there and water making things very slippery. We took the little gully to the left (facing the leap) which has a no fall zone and tons of debris and loose dirt. I would be super careful in this spot. I'm not sure if it would have been better to hike up a little and take the ridge (never been that way) but it wasn't far so it might be worth a check. Once you get further past the east side of LL, just stay left of the water runoff and you should be fine. TONS of fallen trees back there. Some bushwacking required.

We saw people on Bear's Reach and another climb to the left.

Alex Lloyd · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 35

We did the 3 Corners link-up yesterday (Corrugation, Hospital, East Corner) and those were bone dry. East Wall is dry except for some seepage around the roof-sections on A Few Dollars More. Traveler's and Corrugation are dry. West wall looked dry for the most part, as well.

Rattlers are out--in force--on the PE 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Lovers Leap Conditions "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.