Mountain Project Logo

Will be Oahu

Original Post
K2tbui · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 56

Will be on the island end of May to Aug. looking for regular climbing partner! I will have all my own gear.

thanks,

tim

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

You might get more interest if you filled out your profile. Basically, you have minimal information about you in your profile. Or at the minimum, add some info on your post.

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40
K2tbui wrote:

what I have unsighted lately 

Is this when you start from the top and down lead? haha

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625

I think what 20kn means (don't mean to put words in his mouth) is if you fill out the personal page with a little information IE. what grade you climb, etc. you might find some interested partners. Might also find it helpful to check the spelling before you post. I think you are talking the Hawaiian island of OAHU? And i love the def of unsight! HA!

Good luck

BBQ · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 554

K2tbiu,

Sorry that you are getting flamed on this site. I spent 10 years on that island and the only crag is on the North Shore. It is listed in the MP database. As far as finding partners, Oahu has a large military presence which means there are lots of young, athletic people who are interested in climbing. When I climbed there I never even bothered finding a partner I just hiked to the crag and had no problem finding groups of young people with odd numbers. Granted, you might have to put up with lots of beginners but finding a belayer should not be a problem. Just be sure to never keep valuables in your car. The crag is basalt and rather interesting since it is geared towards sport climbers and is very user friendly. Good luck!

K2tbui wrote:

Sure. I am a safe and experienced climber and have all my own gear. I sport and trad but assume there is no trad on the island.

I remember the days when we use to put a slip of paper with name and contact info on the gym or crag board and people interested would make any effort to reach out and inquire more. The climbing community has always been open and generous. I guess those days are over. If you are some who needs to know my sex, what I look like or what I have unsighted lately then I am ok with you not responding.  Thanks.

Tim

Those boards still exist. I've used them in several places. I dont think anyone really cares about you gender or what you look like, but when meeting up with random strangers off the Internet most people do care about your experience level and whether you know what you're doing or not. There are climbers on this very forum who have nearly been killed as a result of climbing with other people they met on this forum. One dude fell 200' and broke both legs with someone he met on this forum as a result of a very simple belaying error. As such, people reading your post are not going to be that inclined to replay if they cannot determine any information about you.

Anyway, you're welcome to come out with me and any of the other people I climb with. There are only about 500 climbers on island, so those of us who've lived here long enough all know each other. The crag has climbers at it every weekend and you can almost always catch a belay if you ask so even if you dont have a partner it's worth just going up and looking around. Weekdays are a bit trickier, but there are still some climbers who go out during the week.

K2tbui · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 56

Ha ha. Thanks for the friendly beta. Sorry I sounded like a turd. Well, at least everyone knows that I cannot spell. I swear I belay much better. Just arrived on the island so looking forward to getting out this weekend. 

Tim

Cool well you can send me a message, I'll be up there this weekend.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Hawaii
Post a Reply to "Will be Oahu"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.