Mountain Project Logo

Mid June, Colorado or Utah?...both are a first for me.

Original Post
JasonSH · · unknown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 90

Trying figure out whether to fly to Denver and climb in the areas there and surrounding, then drive out to Colorado National Monument, see the sights, hike and climb?

Or...

Fly into Vegas and drive up to Bryce and Zion areas?

Worried about temps. Will be climbing with my wife who leads on sport seconds trad abd will have our 6 yr old son with us...yep..he climbs. Don't want to put us in severe heat. Would like to expose my son to multi-pitch via a weekday run up one of the Flatirons or something out in Utah?

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112838222/best-time-to-visit-boulder-mesa-verde-areas-planning-trip

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112838223/best-tme-of-year-to-visit-n-eedles-sd-and-devils-tower-wy

Sooo, now you DON'T want to climb at the Needles, or Devil's Tower, or go to Mesa Verde? You should probably just pick a place and go man...

It will be cooler in South Dakota. Lots of options for kids. Denver/Boulder will be getting warm but not too bad if you're done by afternoon, but still many options. It will be hot in Grand Junction, and very hot in Utah. There is very limited climbing around Bryce and very limited sport and kid-friendly climbing around Zion, but more around St. George (but very hot). Google image search all these potential places. See what looks the coolest to you and the family. Go there.   

Edit:  I get it; you're busy and want advice. Sorry I'm a dick, but I need more info to help you:

1) Do you want this trip to be a climbing trip, or a sightseeing trip with some climbing thrown in?

2) Are you camping or hotel?

3) How long do you want to be in the car? Would you rather see a lot of cool places, or just one and spend some time there? 

4) What your family's tolerance for hiking/approach as far as milage? And heat? And general time outside per day? 

5) Tell me more about your climbing. Single pitch sport/trad? Or super easy multi-pitch routes? What is preferable?  

6) How much total time is this trip?

Collaborate with the wife on these questions and then we might be able to give you an itinerary.

Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95

That time of year there will be some great climbing at The Jungle, near Tropic (Bryce area and at 10,000 feet). Anything below 8k will be too hot and miserable. 

Andy Novak wrote:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112838222/best-time-to-visit-boulder-mesa-verde-areas-planning-trip

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112838223/best-tme-of-year-to-visit-n-eedles-sd-and-devils-tower-wy

Sooo, now you DON'T want to climb at the Needles, or Devil's Tower, or go to Mesa Verde? You should probably just pick a place and go man...

HA!...bud, I Wish it were that easy, but it actually has nothnig to do with not "wanting" to go to the above mentioned places, its flights (car with time alloted for the trip ended up not working out best for us, plus found some good air rates after hours of searching), scheduling and prices that just changed the plans into what they are now.  I'm hoping to hit WY and SD either later this year or next.

2) Are you camping or hotel?

Camping would be preferred, (I'll even do a KOA style place IF it came to that), but looking into the Air B&B thing right now as well.  I read how camping is practically non-existent around the Boulder area?

3) How long do you want to be in the car? Would you rather see a lot of cool places, or just one and spend some time there?

Renting car from airport, going forth from there,...haha  Would like to have a destination to drive to and climb along the way out to it and there then back with a hike or two tossed in. 

4) What your family's tolerance for hiking/approach as far as milage? And heat? And general time outside per day? 

My wife and I climb, hike, backpack, but when the little guy is with us we have to tweak things a bit.  Naturally, children at that age (6yrs old) don't do well in any drastic weather, hot or cold, so hydration is paramount.  The little guy is good for usually 1-5 miles.

5) Tell me more about your climbing. Single pitch sport/trad? Or super easy multi-pitch routes? What is preferable?  

I'm all about the multi-pitch, but, if we do any multi-pitch its going to have to be on an easier grade (5.4-5.5) so I can easily manage our son.  Otherwise, (for the sake of "this" trip goig well,) trad, single pitch (mostly for this trip,..sigh), and up to 5.10...my wife started climbing sport a few months ago so up to about 5.6-5.7 for her, though she'll follow on a 9 usually.

6) How much total time is this trip?

Dates are looking to be, thus far, for a week total.

Jeff G · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,098

The Flatirons are beautiful with lots of long easy and moderate routes.  Long hikes, but again, beautiful.

Lumpy has long moderates and RMNP is amazing.

Check out the town of Lyons.  They have an amazing park in town with a little campground right on the river.  (Meadow Park.)  That would put you 30 minutes from RMNP and 30 minutes from Boulder.  

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
Jeff G. wrote:

The Flatirons are beautiful with lots of long easy and moderate routes.  Long hikes, but again, beautiful.

Check out the town of Lyons.  They have an amazing park in town with a little campground right on the river.  (Meadow Park.)  That would put you 30 minutes from RMNP and 30 minutes from Boulder.  

Yep and if you climb above 5.10 St. Vrain Canyon is a wonderful place right outside of Lyons and the RMNP / Lumpy area.  Love climbing in the flats, but just be advised with east faces, parking issues and crowds it's pretty much an alpine start.  Totally worth it though since those routes heat up pretty good in the day. 

Matt Pierce · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 312

There's no climbing in Colorado - who told you that? Trust me - you don't want to come here ;) It's terrible...

Jeff G. wrote:

Hey thanks!  I'll look into that today.

Matt Pierce wrote:

There's no climbing in Colorado - who told you that? Trust me - you don't want to come here ;) It's terrible...

Hahaha,... Gotcha!...haha

Scott McMahon wrote:

Yep and if you climb above 5.10 St. Vrain Canyon is a wonderful place right outside of Lyons and the RMNP / Lumpy area.  Love climbing in the flats, but just be advised with east faces, parking issues and crowds it's pretty much an alpine start.  Totally worth it though since those routes heat up pretty good in the day. 

Not climbing above 5.10....yet.  I usually climb 5.7-8 at the Gunks,...going to push harder this year though.  I used to climb 5.9-10 sport before I fell in love with trad.  

JasonSH wrote:

Not climbing above 5.10....yet.  I usually climb 5.7-8 at the Gunks,...going to push harder this year though.  I used to climb 5.9-10 sport before I fell in love with trad.  

Still good routes to be had.  And you won't have the shitshow that is Boulder canyon to deal with. 

https://www.mountainproject.com/scripts/Search.php?searchType=routeFinder&minVotes=0&selectedIds=%27107839313%27&type=rock&diffMinrock=1300&diffMinboulder=20000&diffMinaid=70000&diffMinice=30000&diffMinmixed=50000&diffMaxrock=2200&diffMaxboulder=21400&diffMaxaid=75260&diffMaxice=38500&diffMaxmixed=60000&stars=0&pitches=0&sort1=area&sort2=rating

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370

I think flying into Denver and exploring the Front Range is what you're looking for. Every type of climbing possible within 2 hours, plenty of options for camping and airbnb, and still cool enough in the mornings. You could climb at a new place every day and still have time for sightseeing. Spend some time up in Estes Park hiking in RMNP and climbing, and hit a flatiron route. Note that the classic 3rd flatiron will be closed, but there are lots of other fun romps that offer a similar experience. Garden of the Gods down in Colorado Springs is worth seeing too, but get their early or on a weekday. Also, drive over Trail Ridge Road in RMNP. Have fun.  

Mathias · · Loveland, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 306

Given your criteria, I also think the South Saint Vrains seems a good option and one of my preferred areas. The only down side is the poison ivy, which is abundant. But some crags are better than others. I've never found it busy, other than Scout Rock which still isn't really busy at all.

Lumpy might not offer as much for you (again, given the criteria). But there are some low angle multipitch routes on the Left Book, that are worth looking at.

Andy Novak wrote:

I think flying into Denver and exploring the Front Range is what you're looking for. Every type of climbing possible within 2 hours, plenty of options for camping and airbnb, and still cool enough in the mornings. You could climb at a new place every day and still have time for sightseeing. Spend some time up in Estes Park hiking in RMNP and climbing, and hit a flatiron route. Note that the classic 3rd flatiron will be closed, but there are lots of other fun romps that offer a similar experience. Garden of the Gods down in Colorado Springs is worth seeing too, but get their early or on a weekday. Also, drive over Trail Ridge Road in RMNP. Have fun.  

I heard the 3rd flatiron might be closed...I'll have to look into that,.. what is it due to Falcon closure or something??

So much beauty to see,...so little time and cash!  HA!

So Utah's gonna be a suck-fest with hot temps then, even up at Zion? (had been told about the higher elevations, but its all new to me!)  Had seen the Narrows up there in UT and thought it would be an awesome area to explore and hike?  Wish I had the time later in the season to get out there so the damn heat wouldn't be an issue.  I'm good to go wtih dry heat, but like I said, my only worry is not knowing ho our 6 yr odl son would deal with it.  

Mathias · · Loveland, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 306
JasonSH wrote:

So Utah's gonna be a suck-fest with hot temps then, even up at Zion? (had been told about the higher elevations, but its all new to me!)  Had seen the Narrows up there in UT and thought it would be an awesome area to explore and hike?   

The Narrows real is awesome. So is Angel's Landing. I think I've been in September and May, both of which were comfortable. I can't speak to the average temperature in June, but you won't be too hot in The Narrows. It's mostly in the shade (due to the high walls) and the water is pretty cold. I'm sure you could find some charts on monthly average daytime temps via a Google search.

David House · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 453

The Third Flatiron will almost certainly be closed in June. Sometimes they lift closures early depending on the raptor nesting situation, but I wouldn't count on it. 

The First Flatiron is equally classic though, I recommend an early weekday start and you'll probably have it nearly to yourselves. It will be in the sun, so you'll likely want to start early and keep moving. I can't think of a more memorable experience for a young climber - super fun. You'll want to be a confident trad leader, there are some run-outs on easier terrain on most Flatiron routes.

Pretty much everything in June you should expect to start early unless you are single pitch cragging.  I'll echo the left book up at lumpy from above, but just a note lumpy 5.7 will definitely hold your attention.  And speaking of that any routes you decide to climb you should check both the FA date an asecensionist.  haha a 1960 Kor route even at 5.8 will CERTAINLY get your attention. 

Scott McMahon wrote:

Pretty much everything in June you should expect to start early unless you are single pitch cragging.  I'll echo the left book up at lumpy from above, but just a note lumpy 5.7 will definitely hold your attention.  And speaking of that any routes you decide to climb you should check both the FA date an asecensionist.  haha a 1960 Kor route even at 5.8 will CERTAINLY get your attention. 

Yeah I was wondering how the grades out in your neck of the woods compare to, say, grades of the Gunks?  A friend moved out to CO a few years ago and she said some 5.9s felt like 5.7s, then some 5.7s felt like 5.9s,.. typical to have that nearly anywhere I'd suppose.

David Hous wrote:

The Third Flatiron will almost certainly be closed in June. Sometimes they lift closures early depending on the raptor nesting situation, but I wouldn't count on it. 

The First Flatiron is equally classic though, I recommend an early weekday start and you'll probably have it nearly to yourselves. It will be in the sun, so you'll likely want to start early and keep moving. I can't think of a more memorable experience for a young climber - super fun. You'll want to be a confident trad leader, there are some run-outs on easier terrain on most Flatiron routes.

Run out don't bother me unless I'm vertical and its a PG or R rating, I used to totally dig slab when doing sport a few years ago, thoughtful and technical 9s and 10s were fun here in PA.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trip Reports
Post a Reply to "Mid June, Colorado or Utah?...both are a first…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.