Mountain Project Logo

Easy way to re-lace Mythos

Original Post
303scott · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 195

Stuck inside with the flu today, I decided to attack the dreaded Mythos re-lace project. The way I did it wasn't too bad, and only took about 10 minutes per shoe.

1. First, unlace the shoes down to the eyelets by the toes:

unlaced

2. Cut the end of one of the old laces off. If your laces are broken, start on the side that is not broken. The laces are hollow after you cut them:

hollow lace

3. Insert the end of the new lace into the hollow center of the old lace. I worked it up about and inch and a half into the lace:

new lace inside old

4. Tape the laces together with electrical tape. It is important to make sure you have reasonably good adhesion because you don't want them coming apart while you pull:

taped

5. Pull the old lace through the shoe from toes to heel:

pulling

6. Be careful around the heel, the holes get really tight:

pulling

7. Pull it through the broken side:

pulling broken side

8. Even out the lengths and then use a nail to create a small loop to start re-lacing:

using a nail to form a loop

9. Re-lace like a normal shoe and you're done!

done

The whole process takes about 10 minutes per shoe.

divnamite · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 90
saxfiend · · Decatur, GA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 4,221

The one time I had to relace my Mythos (after a resole), I didn't find it that difficult. My trick was to use a long wire twist-tie attached to the lace end to pull it through all the slots. Not nearly as much of an ordeal as I was anticipatiing, and it definitely didn't take 10 minutes per shoe.

JL

303scott · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 195

That chopstick method from la sportiva looks like the source of the stories about why these are a nightmare to re-lace. I was told by several people to expect the project to take at least an hour, and that is probably why. I agree a long wire would work well too.

saxfiend · · Decatur, GA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 4,221

Your system looks like it would be handy when you're not having to remove the laces entirely, as I did.

Did this method do anything to improve your flu?

JL

MelRock · · New Jersey · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 30

Thank you! This was very helpful. Had been taping a break in my laces for months and finally braved the relace using your technique. Your explanation and pictures are great.

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 450

I found needlenose pliers super handy for this job...

What worked even better was switching to TC Pro's. :)

Glenn Schuler · · Monument, Co. · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,330

Perfect timing on the thread ressurection, I've got to do this same thing shortly. I'll give this a try, Thanks.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

Nice! I was wondering what the best way to do this was. I was kind of pissed when my overpriced, $140 Mythos sustained lace damage from two weeks at the Creek.

BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew the length of lace required to replace Mythos? Also has anyone had any experience using these as replacements. Seems like they might be a good choice to hold up for Indian Creek compared to other options. immortallaces.com/product-c…

Thoughts.

wivanoff · · Northeast, USA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 674
BrokenChairs wrote: Thoughts.
I bought 100 feet of black paracord for $8.00 Cut it to whatever length I need, pull out the guts to make it flat and use a lighter to fuse the ends to create aglets. Done. And the paracord holds up really well.

Haven't relaced my Mythos yet but have done most of my other climbing shoes.
Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 450
BrokenChairs wrote:Hey I was wondering if anyone knew the length of lace required to replace Mythos? Also has anyone had any experience using these as replacements. Seems like they might be a good choice to hold up for Indian Creek compared to other options. immortallaces.com/product-c… Thoughts.
I have no experience with those laces, but I do have experience with laces on mythos being cut (at the toe of the shoe) at Indian Creek. Whatever you decide, if you climb with mythos, I'd definitely bring a second replacement pair of laces to Indian Creek.
Jorge Szymanski · · San Antonio, TX · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 0
wivanoff wrote:
Thoughts. I bought 100 feet of black paracord for $8.00 Cut it to whatever length I need, pull out the guts to make it flat and use a lighter to fuse the ends to create aglets. Done. And the paracord holds up really well. Haven't relaced my Mythos yet but have done most of my other climbing shoes.

I am gifting my old Mythos to a dear friend who just started climbing and I wanted to do a good job. So, I bought a baseball glove relacing needle for $6 (pictured) and some Paracord for $7. Left the guts in the cord and burned the ends into aglets. The needle made it a cinch. I'm pleased with the outcome.

wivanoff · · Northeast, USA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 674
Jorge Szymanski wrote:

....I bought a baseball glove relacing needle for $6 ....

Great idea. I did not know those existed. I've heard of people using a crochet hook or hemostat to help.

The only reason I pull the guts out of the paracord is to make flat laces. I know in the military, they use the cord for laces as is. Glad it worked out for you

Aaron Formella · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 720

14:50.75 for the second shoe.

Didn't time the first one, but Wendy says it probably took me about 25 minutes.

The 303scott method of using the old lace to pull the new ones through is genius and would be the fastest. I tried it briefly, but just the taping part, and it kept pulling apart so I just grabbed some needlenose and to went to work. Definitely recommend to, "sharpen the saw," and do the proper 303scott method since then the rethreading process could go about just as fast as pulling the laces off.

Another time saver on the second shoe was to use the needlenose to make little loops to serve as the eyelets for the "normal" lacing part (the last step). Otherwise, without much slack in the lace it is hard to rethread them quickly in this step. Here's a photo:

I reused a pair of laces from my worn out Evolv Astromans and they are very close to the same length as the Mythos standard laces. Plus they are a nice garnet color that compliments the tan leather well, and Wendy says she likes the new equipment on her now 12 year old Mythos.

Hans Wernetti · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 10

Similar to what some earlier commenters suggested, I found it to be pretty effective to just tape the end of the lace to a twist tie: 

mike brodesky · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2021 · Points: 15

Suggest 180CM for the size 42-45 shoes. 

Steps I used and learned from.

1. Remove Old laces on one shoe
  2. Use the pin/large paperclip and tape the ends of a new shoe lace to it
  3. Start at the front of the shoe an push towards the back, stopping between front and back
  4. reposition and go through three lace spots.
  5. go through the eyelet on back so the lace is not around it
  6. push pin to front of shoe going through the back 3 slots
  7. Next reposition and go through front slots
  8. cross as needed and lace like below

La sportiva sells some 150 CM laces, these would be to short. 

Desert Rock Sports · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 2

Wire splicing fid made with a paper clip is what I have used before. Like a very affordable version of a "D-Splicer" tool.

Sarah Z · · Golden · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 532

I just relaced the mythos was hoping to leave the core in my cord and have additional emergency cord but after attempting the wire method, tape method, and tapestry needle I took the nylon core out. Once. I had the correct size of lace I took a tapestry needle and just quick zipped in the laces the old laces were falling apart and completely unusable as any sort of guide system so here’s how I did it. As I had tons of cord I cut 3 ft per lace. 1. Start on the inside of the shoe at the bottom most leather eyelet leaving 1 foot of slack. 2. Thread the shoe up around the ankle and down the outside 3. Lace as normal using the tapestry needle to loosen the eyelets as you go. 4. Trim to fit and burn edges if necessary. 
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Easy way to re-lace Mythos"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.