Mountain Project Logo

Effects of urine on dry rope

Original Post
Jeff Luton · · It's complicated · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

Yep, that rope definitely got pulled right into a big ole pool of dehydrated waste bodily fluids. So what now? Burn it? Wear gloves when rope handling? Should this be treated as getting battery acid on your rope? I know certain things aren't good for ropes thats fo sho. So open up the opinions of the intergoogles

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Jeff Luton wrote: Yep, that rope definitely got pulled right into a big ole pool of dehydrated waste bodily fluids. So what now? Burn it? Wear gloves when rope handling? Should this be treated as getting battery acid on your rope? I know certain things aren't good for ropes thats fo sho. So open up the opinions of the intergoogles

Just wash it. Only the most anal retentive paranoid personalities would worry about it.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

How is it a "pool" if it's "dehydrated?"

dave custer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 2,411

The German Alpine Club did the tests back in the day. Soaking your rope in urine for a day or two has no effect on the rope performance--only on your interest in using the rope. Hint: don't bring this rope on your next climbing date... [reference: one of the Pit Shubert "Risiko in Fels und Eis" books]

My chemistry is a little shaky, but I think the pKa of uric acid is high (5.8), the acid is weak, and not enough of it dissociates to attack the nylon. 

Keep that rope away from yee olde sulphuric acid (pKa 1.9). And the ant acid, formic acid (pKa 3.75)...

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

Applying urine to a brand new dry rope could be bad for your teeth and bones health.

Jeff Koperek · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 20
Marsella wrote:

I urinate on my partners rope pretty much every time we climb -- no one has died yet.

wat

AndrewArroz wrote:

How is it a "pool" if it's "dehydrated?"

Dude, it was one of those I just drank a can of monster pisses. So lots but not good for you kinds

dave custer wrote:

The German Alpine Club did the tests back in the day. Soaking your rope in urine for a day or two has no effect on the rope performance--only on your interest in using the rope. Hint: don't bring this rope on your next climbing date... [reference: one of the Pit Shubert "Risiko in Fels und Eis" books]

My chemistry is a little shaky, but I think the pKa of uric acid is high (5.8), the acid is weak, and not enough of it dissociates to attack the nylon. 

Keep that rope away from yee olde sulphuric acid (pKa 1.9). And the ant acid, formic acid (pKa 3.75)...

This is interesting, I was wondering about the acid levels associated. Good info man thanks
wivanoff · · Northeast, USA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 674

Hmmmm... reminds of the guy who asked: "Is it bad that a cat peed on my rope?"

And I replied: "It is for the cat..."

petzl logic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 730

This still qualifies as almost new in buy/sell/trade. 

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Uric acid can definitely degrade nylon. However, its questionable if human urine has high enough concentration of uric acid to really do anything. Given that your rope is dry treated, I'd say that it probably didn't get enough to really fuck up your rope. I would just wash it really well, or maybe even wash it a couple of times, and call it good. Also don't disclose that to your climbing partners

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

you are going to be doing thedying brah

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Can't find an original document for this detail:

http://www.rockandice.com/gear-guide-tips/will-urine-harm-a-climbing-rope

Powick does cite additional testing by Pit Schubert and the University of Stuttgart on ropes contaminated with human urine. A rope soaked overnight in urine saw a 30-percent reduction in the number of falls held, while a rope on which urine drops had been dribbled held 13 percent fewer falls. 

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86

Yellow piss in sandstone would be much worse than clear piss on granite I would assume. 

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Human urine is not pure uric acid.  It's diluted by excess water in the body.  This gives it a ph of around 6.5-8.  Very neutral. So it will have no effect on nylon.  Plus iif it was really a pool, it probably means there was rain water added, and as long as your not near major industrial cities with extremely high levels of acid rain, it is going to be even further diluted.  

Joe Garibay wrote:

Yellow piss in sandstone would be much worse than clear piss on granite I would assume. 

How many days would you wait to climb on that?
Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86
Jeff Luton wrote:How many days would you wait to climb on that?

Touch it to your lips. If it's cool to the touch you need to wait another day. 

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

do not piss of your rope

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Effects of urine on dry rope "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started