Mountain Project Logo

Eldo - West Ridge - Be on the lookout

Original Post
Mike McHugh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 420

This fellow and his friend were going through the trail gear cache on the West Ridge yesterday. Perhaps they were just curious. Tomorrow I'll take inventory and see if anything is missing. I'd be very careful about leaving anything of value at the base of climbs in Eldo.

If you see him, please contact a ranger or one of the park staff. Like I said - he may have just been curious. He certainly seems fond of the paleo pick.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

He seems like a nice, wholesome boy.

JF M · · NoCo · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,823

Is that Cornholio in the background?

Max Cody · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 82
JFM wrote:

Is that Cornholio in the background?

That's "The Great Cornholio" to you, buddy!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Are these cell phone photos or is there a camera installed somewhere? Are there surveillance cameras for problems such as this?

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
FrankPS wrote:

Are these cell phone photos or is there a camera installed somewhere? Are there surveillance cameras for problems such as this?

These are game camera photos. See the little dear logo in the bottom left corner?

sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60

What is that propeller thing he's holding?

Adam Fleming · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 451
sherb wrote:

What is that propeller thing he's holding?

Looks to be pickaxe from the trail crew cache where these photos were taken.

FrankPS wrote:

Yep. It's a game camera. I put it up after some trail gear was stolen recently and climbers bought replacement gear. Fwiw: if some of the park's gear or my personal gear got stolen, I'd be bummed, but if the gear you folks bought got stolen I'd be beyond pissed. I hate the big brother thing, but wanted to have some recourse if your trail gear got nicked.

I also posted this to give a heads up to Eldo climbers. 

I'm going to move all the gear (and the camera) back to storage.

This also blows because there's 150-200 pounds of trail gear needed on the West Ridge sites. That's a bunch to haul at the beginning and end of a day of rock stacking. But the salad days of caching trail gear near work sites are over.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Chad Miller wrote:

These are game camera photos. See the little dear logo in the bottom left corner?

Dear logo,

Like that?

Frank

Gregger Man · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Aug 2004 · Points: 1,769

Securing the tools at the site would be really nice. I was thinking that a homemade mesh bag of 1/8" wire rope and swages might do the trick, but the dude would just show up with bolt cutters and end up with more pawnshop funds for neck tats. This is why we can't have nice things. 

Persevere, Mike. 

-gg

The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460

I feel like that talus field to the west of the W Ridge trail probably holds some very promising opportunities for sneaky gear caches that Kid Rock and his ilk wouldn't find

joe trabucco · · Boulder, co · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

why would a guy like that even care about this stuff? bet the dude doesn't even climb.

Gregger Man · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Aug 2004 · Points: 1,769

Perhaps ACE could offer him some free body modification in exchange for the return of any stolen tools. I have experience using this veterinary tattoo kit:

I also have experience using this on cattle, and it might provide a more appropriate modification for him:

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
FrankPS wrote:

Dear logo,

Like that?

Frank

Ha!  Damn auto correct. 

Dear Deer Logo …

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

haha totally cornholio.  And man I hate making assumptions on appearance, but sometimes people set themselves up to look like shitbags.  Usually neck and finger tattoos are a great start, and this is coming from a guy that has 5 large tats. 

physnchips · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

I'm having trouble taking my eyes away from cornholio and his(her?) crotch, what's going on again? Oh right, I think based on the tool and the back of the guy's hoodie he's just really excited about being an Eldo diamond prospector.

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10
Gregger Man wrote:

more pawnshop funds for neck tats. 

I though that was just a goiter or something.  Damn that is ugly.

Hey!

So the good news is that mister sister was NOT able to break into the locked work box. All gear is present and accounted for. I'm going to weld some reinforcements to make that box a lot harder to get into than it apparently already is. Volunteer Katie, Ranger Mikaela, and I got a lot of rock moved today.

The bad news is he had a poopy fit and chopped at the top of the work box with the pick. It's got some holes in it. No biggie.

dsauerbrun · · Boulder · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 56

Can anyone make out what the neck tattoo is? My guess is that he's gonna be back to try to get back into the box so informing the rangers at the tollbox of that distinguishing feature will likely be a good way to catch him red handed when he tries again.

PS: maybe throw a macbook in there just to make it grand theft :P

The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460
Gregger Man wrote:

Perhaps ACE could offer him some free body modification in exchange for the return of any stolen tools. I have experience using this veterinary tattoo kit:

I also have experience using this on cattle, and it might provide a more appropriate modification for him:

Which raises the question...  what can Gregger Man not do?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Eldo - West Ridge - Be on the lookout"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started