Mountain Project Logo

Pawtuckaway Trad Meet-up 4/23

Original Post
Eric Neal · · Jamaica Plain, MA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 0

Hi fellow New England climbers,

I got several responses on a separate thread looking for trad partners this season.  So at the suggestion of another member, I'm posting to gauge interest in a meet-up at Pawtuckaway this Sunday 4/23, maybe 9am? I don't actually know the area that well aside from the major bouldering spots, but I hear there's a wealth of single pitch trad, which might make a decent place to meet new partners in a low stakes environment until we know that everyone can at least tie a figure 8 and belay  

I didn't want to suggest a group getting together at the major crags due to crowd control.  And a group can really intrude on other climbers at the smaller crags.

I'm of average ability and experience, and actually particularly week and slow at the moment.  I would humbly suggest that anyone is welcome regardless of ability or experience (and age, etc. of course) but that you at least can safely belay a trad climber.  Obviously with single pitch it doesn't really matter if abilities don't match up beyond that.

Open to any alternatives, suggestions, whatever.

Exact details TBD.  We'll see if there's any interest first.

Best,

Eric from Boston

Rob p · · south hampton nh · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

I'm in obviously n I told the guy I've been climbing with n he's up for it too.  I know the main 3 cliffs pretty well and have also started to go out to other more obscure spots in the park.

Great! Hopefully we get some more takers, but at least we'll have a climbing party regardless.

Hey Rob P. What's the best entrance to meet up? 

Perhaps others will see the post and drop bye.  I haven't had any other takers thus far. 

I'm thinking maybe 10am to make it easy.

10am meet at McDonald's off 101 exit 5 I think gold ford ranger we'll try to save parking spot

Sharon2802 · · Wellesley, MA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 15

hey! I am interested in this. I have never been, so a few questions:

- does it dry out quickly? With the rain from today and what's in the forecast tomorrow it wouldn't make sense if all the cracks are seeping wet. It would help if there is no vegetation above and sun to dry it out in the morning.

- are there enough easy routes? I really only lead up till a Gunks-5.6 (maybe more a 5.5 early season).

Sharon

Mark NH · · 03053 · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

P-way doesn't dry that fast unless its windy as most crags are in the woods. I'd peruse MP for routes to lead but FYI most of the time folks TR (or boulder). Allot of the really good climbs don't take much gear though there are a few really nice easy leads. Oh, watch out for polished rock on some climbs which makes things feel harder. Some climbs IMHO are real sandbags (some upper cliff cracks come to mind). Whatever you do, get on "the horn" (which is a great lead). 

Plenty of stuff to climb I just got a copy of the unofficial guide book and there is so much I didn't even know about. As for wet rock I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Ok. I'll be at the McDonald's at 10am. White Toyota Camry or black 2 door Hyundai.  I know there are easy 5.6ish leads that aren't cracks that should be dry. I was there once for trad years ago but can't remember where/what we climbed. 

Thanks for the info Mark!

Sharon2802 · · Wellesley, MA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 15

i think I am going to pass this time...reluctant to drive 2 hours and find that too many easy climbs are still wet. But keep me in the loop for future stuff! Also excited to explore Pawtuckaway as I have never been.

Ron Brown · · Danville · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I've been going to pawtuckaway since I was a kid. I'm less than a half hour away so it's always been a great day hike area. 

This time of year, the gates might be closed, as they were two weeks ago when I was last there. If so, the reservation rd entrance in Deerfield would leave you with a 3 or so mile hike to the climbing areas. In that case you'd probably be better off finding the north entrance on Deerfield rd in nottingham, but I don't know how much parking is up there.

Most of the climbing areas are south-facing, so I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding something dry, just get to the upper part of the ridge if the lower stuff is still wet.

I usually work Sunday afternoon, otherwise I'd probably join you, Saturday's work best for me.

LAST MINUTE BROKEN THUMB!

Hey Rob p: I hope you get this before heading out, or that you at least have a friend to climb with tomorrow. I freakin' broke my thumb at the climbing gym tonight. Ahhhhhhh!  Probably 6 weeks before I'm able to climb again.  Didn't have a number for you.  SORRY!!!  Not 100% sure it's broken, but it's big and purple. Need to get it checked out tomorrow.  No way I can put pressure on it though.

Big Red · · Seattle · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 940

Can't make it for this one... Would love to come to a similar meet in the future!

No worries i still got a partner. Good luck.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

North Eastern States Partners
Post a Reply to "Pawtuckaway Trad Meet-up 4/23"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started