Mountain Project Logo

mystery routes

Original Post
dragons · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 847

Suppose a person discovered a small cliff while hiking around in the woods, and happened to notice two new-ish looking bolted routes on the cliff. Suppose the person went back home, searched Mountain Project, and did not find these routes in the database. Is there any way the person could get more info about the routes? Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

Hypothetically it would help if that 'person' posted a general area where said cliff is--you know, hypothetically. My guess is that there are lots of small cliffs with unrecorded routes in lots of woods so it might be helpful to a person seeking information if others were told where that section of woods may be--at least hypothetically.

chris magness · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 590

Yes.  Ask around locally.  MP isn't the place.

Send me a PM.

Alan - I left the area super vague, because I really don't want to get anyone in trouble or cause access issues. Plus it's just a hypothetical right? :)

Chris - PM sent.

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
Alan Rubin wrote:

Hypothetically it would help if that 'person' posted a general area where said cliff is--you know, hypothetically. My guess is that there are lots of small cliffs with unrecorded routes in lots of woods so it might be helpful to a person seeking information if others were told where that section of woods may be--at least hypothetically.

Ya' Think?!  

I've told you as much as you have told me.( Bear Mnt Road?! ) I'd like to think that given how the Western Mass. climbers have prevailed, you would say a bit more as to the myriad of reasons why NOT Adding a climbing zone To a vast public data base is often the best course of action. I think that the point system and the need to 'recognized' whatever that means does a dis-service  & can be the reason a cliff gets posted; -( "NO CLIMBING"

june m · · elmore, vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 110

Not everything  needs or should be posted on line. If it looks good to you give it a go

HBTHREE · · ma · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 30

when in doubt, chop it out

scott fuzz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 125

You know ol' Ken Nick' adds all these N.E. posts to his hit list data base-

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616
scott fuzz wrote:

You know ol' Ken Nick' adds all these N.E. posts to his hit list data base-

Is that really a reason to not post beta?  Fear?  Fuck KN.  Let him keep playing his games if that's how he wants to spend his last years on the planet and his 'legacy' to the climbing community (being a PITA).  He'll be dead sooner than later (simple math/odds), and although he has a few cronies they'll never hold a torch to the idiocy of their master.  His archaic methods and mentality will go the way of the dodo.

Climb On · · Everywhere · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Pm'd

Kevin Heckeler wrote:

Is that really a reason to not post beta?  Fear?  Fuck KN.  Let him keep playing his games if that's how he wants to spend his last years on the planet and his 'legacy' to the climbing community (being a PITA).  He'll be dead sooner than later (simple math/odds), and although he has a few cronies they'll never hold a torch to the idiocy of their master.  His archaic methods and mentality will go the way of the dodo.

Ha kev. Although I was only kiddin' bout KN, I'm A+ agreement on yer thoughts on that kook-

Wow, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

This has nothing to do with bolt-chopping.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
dragons wrote:

Until someone chops these routes.

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40
Kevin Heckeler wrote:

Hallelujah 

Zach Swanson · · Newton, MA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 36
dragons wrote:

Naw, all discussions about routes in MA are inevitably about bolt chopping.

This is not a discussion about a route in MA.

Aunt Patty · · Fryeburg, ME · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 126

do this mystery routes happen to be around the MWV?

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616
dragons wrote:

Sorry, bolt chopping just strikes me as a pretty low blow (in 99% of cases).  It's extremism. I don't know KN fwiw, just the 'legends'.  He's no better than a climbing terrorist.

Kevin - I don't understand why you and others are using my post to beat a dead horse and make ugly remarks. Well before your first post on this thread, I made it clear that this situation is about access issues. "Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk."

Dhane Knakkergaard - "do this mystery routes happen to be around the MWV?" - a reasonable person might think so, given the location posted directly next to my handle!

Craig Childre · · Lubbock, TX · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 4,860

I spent several years climbing down in Last Chance Canyon... which at the time was a word of mouth crag, where the locals we're quite protective of the spot and didn't want it published online.  I got flamed for posting some stuff on the old rockclimbing.com and took it down in shame.  Could be a unique situation here, but I think you are well served by checking around before first, before you whip out the megaphone :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "mystery routes"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started