Mountain Project Logo

Beijing Mid June

Original Post
Malcolm Ferguson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Hello,  

I'm planning on taking a two week climbing trip from June 10th - June 24th.  I've been doing some research on China and came across a crag in Guoliang.  It looks like an amazing part of the world.  

I'm a solo traveller and would love to find a partner who wants to join, saving me the hassle and potential loss of time due to not having a belay partner.  My sport range is 5.10's and 5.11's, but am happy climbing anything.  I just like being on the rock.  I'm a super laid back guy, easy to get along with.

If anyone is up for a trip shoot me a message.

Robert Owyang · · Quincy, Ma · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Hi, Malcolm

I am a climber based in Lanzhou, Northern China. Guoliang is where I started climbing and I am happy to go. It's bigger than a crag, actually a self-sustained valley with 300+ routes.

I won't be busy during these two weeks of June. Crags in White River, Beijing also make me interested. Safe Belayer, open to climb with different partners. Looking forward to join this trip.

Hi Robert,

That's awesome news!  I was worried I wouldn't be able to find a partner and be forced to change my travel plans.  I've heard of White River as well, and would love to experience multiple sectors in the area.  I've been climbing on and off for close to 8 years now.  I started off climbing trad in the mountains, but recently all my time has been spent sport climbing.  

I've been preparing for this trip in the gym for a few months now.  I'm climbing 5.10's indoors and should be into the 11's by June.  Although I'm happy climbing any grade, the numbers aren't important to me.

Do you have many friends who you climb with?

What's the best way for us to communicate and plan out some details?

I look forward to hearing from  you!

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Feel glad that you haven't cancel the trip yet.  

Facebook is blocked here, so a little inconvenient. I have whatsapp and my number is 86-18893716673. If you want to make friends in Beijing or participate in the community, Wechat is defnitely their favourite.

I usually hang around with local or nearby climbing community. My area is a little distant from Beijing, but I still have quite a few friends there, active climbers.

I've been climbing for one year and a half and really fell in love with rock. Most routes are bolted in China, so Guoliang is among those three or four areas that have established trad route. I just started  building my trad rack so an experienced partner can be of great help! My sport grade is in the 5.10 range, no problem following some 5.11s. I recently struggle with some minor injuries, believing they will heal by June.

Robert

Hi,

The Wifi in my office isn't the greatest, so I'll download WhatsApp once I get home tonight.

What's the name of the city or town you live in?  How far are the crags from  your home?  I'm wondering what kind of arrangements I should make, whether it be camping at the crag, or renting an apartment in the city then drive out each day.

Are you on summer holidays from school during June? Do you have any work obligations during that time?

I'm also working though some minor injuries right now.  I spent 17 days climbing in Mexico during February and injured my shoulder, its feeling quite a bit better and probably around 80% strength.  Recently I sprained my ankle, lol, but it should be healed up in a week or so.  I've been wanting to visit China for many years now, if all works out, I'm excited to experience your culture, and especially to try the food! lol

levifranz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

Hi Malcolm/Robert,

I am planning on travelling to Hong Kong and China this June as well and would love to do some climbing! I climb similar grades to you both and spent last fall in Yosemite, so I am experienced with trad climbing and building achors. Itd be asweome to catch up with you guys! Malcolm, what are your dates specifically? I am buying my tickets in the next few days.

-Levi

Hi Robert and Levi,

I tried downloading WhatsApp onto my ipad, but was unsuccessful.  Perhaps email or Kik Messanger would work easier?  Do you have an IPhone?  Imessage works on my ipad.

Levi, I'm planning on departing Toronto, Ontario on June 11th, either flying to Beijing or now possibly Lanzhou.   From there we could all head to either White River or Gouliang.  Robert, the days you need to be in lecture can be our rest days, afterwards we could try which ever location we haven't visited yet.  

Levi, do you have facebook?  You can add me by my name or by my email: WellLaidRoofing@hotmail.com

Actually, if you both send me an email, we could create thread that we are all apart of.

Oh and Levi, my full travel dates are the 11th - 25th.

levifranz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

My email is levifranz@yahoo.com. I'm flying into Hong Kong on the 9th and then flying out the 22. Would robert, what would you recommend for climbing? Also what gear will you guys have?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "Beijing Mid June"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started