Mountain Project Logo

Tucson beta, guidebooks, easy single pitch sport?

Original Post
Jordan Wisch · · St. Louis, MO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Hello MP, I'll be out in Tucson 4/28-5/2 and looking to climb with my fiancé Saturday or Sunday. Still relatively new to outside, only a handful of single pitch sport routes in the 5.6-5.8 range. Initial thought is Mt Lemmon, but are there other areas we should consider? Are there any guidebooks for the area, preferably one that could be rented or borrowed?

Thanks! 

Jordan 

Joe G · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 0

Hey Jordan,

You should check out The  Havens on Lemmon. All the info you need is on this site but it's never a bad idea to pick up the new book Squeezing the Lemmon 3 . The Havens has lot of moderate sport lines with an easy approach. Hope you guys have a great trip.

Joe

Luke Bertelsen · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 4,867
JD · · Southern AZ · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

use MP unless you want to shell out a few bucks for the guide book. it's a bible. Crags AH if you want to listen to cars all day :/ the Havens would be a good area on great rockconsidering your desires, you can start easy and move anchors for the harder 10s down low or several nice mods in the area. checkout the Outcroppings if you like slab, Ridgeline could be packed on the several mods, tho Ridgeback pitch would be a fun line in your range. Munchkinland is worth the hike from the Willow Creek trailhead. 

just my $.02

timinthehouse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Second  Munchkinland, little bit of a hike but plenty of climbing in moderate range, beautiful area as well. I would also recommend looking into windy point, you'll have to do some research to find the routes and areas that fit your description but some fun climbing with a few routes you can access from above and set up top rope.

Jordan Wisch · · St. Louis, MO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Lots of good info, thanks all!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Tucson beta, guidebooks, easy single pitch sport?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started