Mountain Project Logo

Rock and Resole retail shop

Original Post
Jonathan S · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 176

I just wanted to post that I had a good experience at Rock and Resole's retail shop today. I brought in a pair of shoes for resoling, but I also wanted to try on a Butora shoe (hard to find). Sure enough, they had the Butora shoe in stock. They are also offering a free resole ($36) if you buy a pair of shoes, which I took advantage of. It wasn't crowded and the staff were helpful. Afterward, I went over to REI for a couple items. What a madhouse in comparison!

dsauerbrun · · Boulder · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 56

Just a heads up, I believe they only do a free resole if the shoe is not la sportiva and is over a certain price(I believe $150 but i could be wrong). Great deal if you aren't buying la sportiva and want to support a local shop.

EDIT: it appears that they do offer this deal with la sportiva shoes now

Yes, the new shoe needs to cost more than $149 for the free resole (and now I do see the fine print about La Sportiva exclusion on their web page). More important (to me) was the very large shoe selection and customer service. Worth the trip up from Golden.

Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95

Hmmmm. I'd like to call them. Does anyone have the phone number for Rock and Resole?

Austin Baird wrote:

Hmmmm. I'd like to call them. Does anyone have the phone number for Rock and Resole?

Ha Ha! Its published on their website now. And if you can't find that, well...

Big DogBurlyDiesel · · COLORADO · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 516

Hey Guys! Thanks for the positive feed back! Im an employee for Rock and Resole and just wanted to set the record straight. Rock and Resole does offer the free half resole($36 value) on ANY shoe over $149 and we now offer the free half resole with the purchase of La Sportiva shoes. So come by and check us out!

Daniele Nicolodi · · Boulder, Co · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 5

Hi Rayan,

I wanted to stop by and check myself, but your opening times are a bit inconveninet: do you have La Sportiva Testarossa in house?

Thanks. Cheers,
Dan

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Daniele Nicolodi wrote:

Hi Rayan,

I wanted to stop by and check myself, but your opening times are a bit inconveninet: do you have La Sportiva Testarossa in house?

Thanks. Cheers,
Dan

You could call them and ask.

rozaosa · · Longmont, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15
Austin Baird wrote:

I heard they'll give MP users a free resole if this thread reaches 100 pages!

Mitch Stubbs · · Boulder · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Thumbs up on the redesign Rock and Resole. Now a great stock of gear and, as always, good advice

La MoMoface · · Arvada, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 60

Love R&R, the advice couch is great! They also have a great selection of biners, everyone else in town was out of what I was looking for but I found it at R&R. 

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665

It was cool in my case - I went in for some repair work on the uppers of a couple of pairs of my trail runner shoes.  I'm always coming through the side on the little toes because of the shape of my feet and my stride.  Anyway, they do that sort of work too.
I was surprised at the selection of shoes that they were carrying at this point (pretty high) and noticed that they had some very small pairs out.
Since I was in there with my 4 year old and was able to try on a few pairs of climbing shoes for her...  $45.  Not only did they have her size, they had pairs that were too small... so I guess about any kid size.  They also had different colors so that she could pick what she wanted.  
This matters to 4 year olds.  And the $45 price matters to parents who will have to pass them on in < 6 months.

Jon Welchans · · Longmont Colorado · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 75

Pretty much the only place I go. They have guide books that no one else in town has. They got trad gear, sport gear, ropes and even guess what.....SHOES....

Travis Provin · · Boulder CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 105

I also love that place, their gear selection is legit! I took a friend there who was looking to get into climbing, got him totally outfitted and he's been happy with everything he got! It's my new go to for anything climbing related, gear, shoes, books, everything.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Ryan Sather wrote:

Hey Guys! Thanks for the positive feed back! Im an employee for Rock and Resole and just wanted to set the record straight. Rock and Resole does offer the free half resole($36 value) on ANY shoe over $149 and we now offer the free half resole with the purchase of La Sportiva shoes. So come by and check us out!

Outstanding! Is this available if I purchase online? I have a pair of Katana Laces that need a resole, but I want to purchase a backup pair before sending them in.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

I am not sure what Don is saying is true (even though he may have been told that). I have always dropped off my shoes and 2 weeks is the best I have got with it being as long as 4 weeks. $30 vs $36 is not that different in price either. YB only has trax ruber as well. 

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

Just got off the phone with R&R. They will honor the free resole for online purchases as well. Just include your order number when sending in your old pair.

La MoMoface · · Arvada, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 60
Parker Wrozek wrote:

I am not sure what Don is saying is true (even though he may have been told that). I have always dropped off my shoes and 2 weeks is the best I have got with it being as long as 4 weeks. $30 vs $36 is not that different in price either. YB only has trax ruber as well. 

Ditto, I dropped off a pair very recently and it was a 2-3 week turn around or so. But hey, that's why I have two of all of my favorite shoes, so turnaround time doesn't actually matter to me. 

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Don Morris wrote:

The cool thing is to know there are choices, and I can get my shoes done by a California company faster, cheaper, better and trusting the deal.

Rock and Resole may be a nice little local store, but that is all they are. Their branding is already fading nationally with the poor turnaround time, high cost, and now knowing they do not treat customers equally. This kind of thing seems to happen when the founder sells to those who only see dollar signs, and don't have a clue on running a business.

First of all, YB lost my business when they demonstrated they don't know how to maintain the shape of non-Evolv shoes. Maybe they've gotten better, but I still detest Traxx.

While I really enjoyed chatting w/ Erik (as well as the resoles) when he was running the show, the current owner (who I also know) is way savvier about running a business: the fact they can raise the price and operate a larger shop speaks to that (maybe Neptune can learn a thing or two). Besides, why shouldn't the local customers get a price discount (btw, Erik ran a discount for drop-off/pickup as well) and/or turnaround time priority when they also visit the retail shop every time they need a resole? Case in point: last time my wife picked up her resole, she bought a specialty chalk bag that she'd otherwise have mail ordered (+shipping $).

Don Morris wrote:

I learned on Saturday that Rock and Resole treats customers in two distinctive ways: Local and Non-Local. If you bring your shoes in the turnaround is a week. If you mail your shoes in the turnaround is four to six weeks. My wife sent her shoes in via mail. We live in Denver. It so happened we would be traveling through Boulder, recently and gave Rock and Resole a call to see if we could pick the shoes up. The pair had been with them for two weeks. Rock and Resole asked if she dropped them off or mailed them? The reason he explained is there are two piles or bins. One for drop-offs (locals) and one for mail orders (non-locals). Since it was in the mail order bin they would take a lot longer to get to. The drop-ins are first priority.

While that may be partially accurate, it is not fully accurate.
I am a local and a long term customer (since Eric ran the place and Patrick worked the desk, and Crowley sat in the sun). The present owners happen to know my face and name, so that's how I was greeted.  I dropped off a pair of shoes the other day... Sunday, April 9th.  
No less, I was told that it was presently quite busy and turn around time was ~2-3 weeks, unless I needed a rush on it.  The repair on the uppers of two sets of trail shoes (as opposed to resoles) was to be done in 7-10 days though. Because they have less backlog on that sort of work.  Sure enough, they called to tell me my uppers-repair was done last night, and the resoles... not done yet.
R&R is a small place that is growing and spring is resole time, I guess.  The nice thing about what are literally 'mom and pop' shops (OK, 'family businesses' - let's not discriminate against people with no kids, right?) is that they are flexible.   Perhaps It is presumed that people mailing in shoes have some time to let them be in that process, and likely another pair.  It's presumed that someone like me has another pair for sure.  But someone visiting for a week or whatever - well, they might need turn-around faster so they can climb or so they can pick the shoes up before leaving.  So there is a 'rush' option you can ask for.

Morals of the story:
1) It sounds, Don, like you have things a little mixed up or perhaps a little exaggerated in your understanding of how it works.  Indeed, there are 2 bins, but the difference is not 5 weeks (1 Vs 6).  It appears to be more like 3 Vs 4, which can mostly be accounted for in shipping time.  If turn around was 1 week for you before, you must have been lucky with your drop off timing or SPECIFIED that you wanted a rush.  
2) 2-ways shipping takes time and they have to write-up mail orders, whilst drop-offs are written up with the customer right there. That is 1 week of the difference.
3) If there is a good reason to want/need priority on a pair of shoes in spring, you can let them know and I bet they will work with you.

I know enough to say that the above are true.  
I'll poke Colby about this thread and maybe he can elaborate on any mistakes I've made in attempting to explain, because I can't speak for the shop beyond what I happen to know.

Parker Wrozek wrote:

. $30 vs $36 is not that different in price either. 

Well, no, not when you account for having to ship the shoes... there is shipping then the process of boxing, labeling, etc...
Pick-up is obviously going to be cheaper for the shop.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Rock and Resole retail shop"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started