Mountain Project Logo

August 21, 2017 Eclipse Grand Teton and the Wind River Range

Original Post
ccaissie · · Whitefield, ME · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 20

You can get a .kmz overlay for Google Earth to show the
Eclipse path.  The highest probability of clear weather is East of the Wind River Range

I plan to be on Gannett Peak at totality.  See you there!

Colin

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

Ha! Not me.  I plan to be as far away as possible.  Too many people are going to flock to the good viewing points.

I probably don't realize how many people will be out there....

Troy Woodard · · Colorado Springs · Joined May 2014 · Points: 1

Draw a line from Portland Oregon to 

Savannah Georgia that's the path more or less 

coldfinger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 55

I think all my tweaker friends in Pinedale and Rock Springs are really excited about all the out of state plates gonna be parked here.

And the Sheriff will be looking for CO plates too!

Should be a ton of fun!!

Hmmm.  So what's the usual tourist/hiker load up Titcomb Basin on a typical weekend in August?  I did see a photo with about 10 black dots on the glacier.  Could it be 10X because of the eclipse?  Time to head back to the Chugach Range if it's this crowded in the 48.

AmandaM · · Jackson, WY · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 10

It's going to be a complete zoo.  People in Jackson are renting their houses for $1,000+ per night during the eclipse week, and getting it.  I would not be surprised if the Wyoming high points were overwhelmed with guided clients, and the usual others, for this event.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

It's a solar eclipse at 11 am. It's the sun! Why would you need to be on a high point for the event?

Well, I'm a climber....here on the Mountainproject site,  also an amateur Astronomer.  Also researched the best probability of clear weather.  Bingo!  Trip to Gannett Peak!  Also as a Mainer and someone who keeps off the beaten path, I'm not up on how the city slickers behave.  Learning....shocked! 

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 225

One of the best viewing point for the eclipse you can DRIVE to. Yes, it will be a fucking zoo. I'm not looking forward to it what so ever. We're already getting calls from people trying to plan their trips and get "away from the crowds". HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. If you go anywhere near the Cirque or Titcomb Basin be prepared for hundreds of tourons with their head nets, 10 pounds of shit hanging off their packs and eclipse viewing glasses littering your beloved Wilderness. Oh, and the people at the trailhead asking how to get to Big Sandy Lake. Saying that it will be a zoo is a gross understatement. Not to mention the inevitable idiots who will think it's so cool to view the eclipse from the top of Gannett then proceed to need a rescue because they, "didn't realize it was going to be so hard". Have fun!

Really.....Ok, to hell with it.  I'll just watch from the highway out between Casper and some cattle ranch, and then head to my real destination....Rainier.  Y'all call Dinwoody a Glacier? Sad.

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 225
ccaissie wrote:

Really.....Ok, to hell with it.  I'll just watch from the highway out between Casper and some cattle ranch, and then head to my real destination....Rainier.  Y'all call Dinwoody a Glacier? Sad.

You call Kahtadhin a mountain??

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "August 21, 2017 Eclipse Grand Teton and the W…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started