Mountain Project Logo

Climbing around Rockwood, Texas

Original Post
Bo Handy · · Spokane, WA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 50

I am headed to Rockwood, Texas for a week of work at the end of April. Does anyone know of any sport climbing and/or bouldering areas within 90 minutes of town?

Thanks!

Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35

I gotta rib you cause there is a map feature on the front page of this site that does exactly what you are looking for.

But since you asked... E-rock (Enchanted Rock State Park) looks to be right at your 90-min driving range.  It has some decent bouldering and some bolted climbs, although it is a trad area and the bolted climbs are not sport bolted.  I don't think they are run-out but some do think that, definitely not a bolt every body length though.  Most routes require gear.

The stuff around Austin (Reimer's) is about 2 hours away and is well bolted sport if that is what you are looking for.  Other than that you are hours from other options.

Be ready to sweat.  Its already hitting high 80's with humidity.  There is usually water in the E-rock campground.  The camping in the park is usually booked months in advanced by boy scout groups but there is a little local place about 5 miles away called Frontier Outpost.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Climbing around Rockwood, Texas"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.