Mountain Project Logo

Elko, NV beta

Original Post
Kyle Smith · · Southern Nevada · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 1,986

I'm looking for information on climbing around Elko in northeastern Nevada. I know there is an old guidebook for Lamoille and also that the Pequops are listed in the book "Islands in the Sky". Unfortunately I haven't been able to find either book but any information about the areas (besides what's already on MP for Lamoille) would be appreciated. I've heard tale of a crag southwest of Elko, another north on Fifth Street, and perhaps one other nearby called Devil's Gate in addition to the Rubies and Pequops.

I'm new to the area and also looking for people to climb with, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

oldfattradguuy kk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 170

I might be able to scan some of the book if I can find it, or at least some I pad photos, climbed there a lot 25 plus years ago, just go up canyon and park at a pullout on right by some rocks below pullout, plenty of routes and boulders on both sides of road.

Also look for big white wall on left right before campground , many 1 to 2 pitch routes, just because there are bolts does not mean you should not bring gear.

Pullout 1 to 2 miles up canyon.

Kyle Smith · · Southern Nevada · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 1,986

@oldfattradguuy kk: I've explored up Lamoille a little bit (as far as the snow allows right now) and have definitely walked up the hillside and checked out some boulders and routes, it looks promising! I'm just hoping to have more concrete info and find areas I have yet to explore. Seeing some scanned/photographed pages of the Lamoille guidebook would be spectacular!

@John Wilder: I did see that they had copies of "Islands in the Sky" for sale online and will actually be in Vegas next week so I may check that out, thanks for the info!

johnnyrig · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 105

I live on the west side of Nevada, so take it with a grain of salt...

Get on google earth and follow 5th st up toward the radio tower on the hill. About 4 miles from the edge of town and half a mile from the tower facility, there's an outcrop below it on the hill side. You can actually park on top of the outcrop if you have a 4x4, and as I recall there are a few scattered bolts. Don't quote me on that. I tied a TR anchor on my truck. Honestly though, you'd probably do much better to go out toward Lamoille. My friend and I were just screwing around up off 5th hunting chukar further up the mountain, and it was too damn cold to do anything more than show him how to rap and TR a little.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Elko, NV beta"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started