Mountain Project Logo

Going to Patagonia... Please advise

Original Post
Peter Howes · · Beverly, MA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 80

I'm going to a wedding in Buenos Aires Febuary 2018.

Obviously I can't pass up this opportunity. But I'm a bit overwhelmed and intimated. Im looking for some sage advice from those crusty hard men (or woman, namely Mayan Gobat-Smith), also welcome is advice from those soft slimy Mt.Proj trolls. So... Bullet points, H E R E  W E  G O ! ! ! ! 

1. Am I ready? I will cautiously say I'm a 5.10+ climber in the Black, good range of climbing experience on all different rock (4 years of real trad climbing), But I dont think I can ringlock with mittens on, yet... Some steep snow navigation, but little formal training. Never looked down an actual crevasse. Shitty ice climber (WI2/3) never really pushed ice climbing in the mountains, example... I own two different tools, you could say I'm not that committed to steep ice. All around very fit. Could probably keep up with Colin Haley if I didn't have to stop periodically to clean the shit out of my pants (and if I could climb ice). What I'm saying is I'm not fat. 
  2. What routes could one climb with my skill set? What is the best guidebook? Should my sights be set on the Fitz Roy massif, or other areas/objectives in South America
  3. Training for new alpinism... I guess I should buy it? 
  4. What should I do about a partner? Can I just plan on bumping into HK knowing that our relationship will instantly blossom? My Girlfriend climbs and it looks like we could climb some of the less committing/easier routes together. However I don't think she will be swinging 10+ leads after 1000ft of climbing. (will I be able to do that? who knows!!!!)
  5. Also trying to do a bike packing trip in chile/argentina (can't afford to fly there twice) Anybody have any beta on this? Whats the touring bike market, or do I have to fly with a bike and ALL my climbing shit, and stuff to go to a wedding?
  6. Just recently relocated to NorCal, in terms of training and objectives what routes would be good stepping stones? (especially interested in mixed/ice/snow routes)
  7. Any good reading I should be doing? Recently read Kelly Cordes' book, loved it. 
  8. My current employment will be concluding in december 2017. Hoping to head down there and spend a good chunk of time (3 months?) People with experience being down there for a time, what makes the most sense? Is buying a vehicle an option? Should have family connections in Buenos Aires to base camp out of. How far is BA from El Chalten? 400-500 miles?

Love/hate the MP community, but would really appreciate any advice and support from whoever on this one. 

Also looking for new climbing partners in CA! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Going to Patagonia... Please advise"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.