Mountain Project Logo

Maple vs American Fork

Original Post
Henry Ooten · · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

I'll be climbing around SLC the second week of May.  Do any regulars have opinions on which is better, and why?  We will only be climbing sport, with our highest concentration in the 10's, although we will get on some harder and easier stuff.  Also does anyone know if any climbing shops rent guide books, or where I could get my hands on a used one?

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

Darren in Mountainworks, the climbing shop in The Quarry climbing gym in Provo, has put up a ton of routes in Maple and American Fork. Plus he wrote the most recent guide book for Maple and is working on one for AF. Go see him when you get in town and he can probably give you some really good suggestions. Mountainworks also has a fine selection of gear if you need any while you're in town. They just got in a load of new CAMP draws and Tendon ropes. 

Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95

Maple is way better for those grades. Most of the 10s in AF are polished and slick and kind of miserable.

Ryan Hamilton wrote:

Darren in Mountainworks, the climbing shop in The Quarry climbing gym in Provo, has put up a ton of routes in Maple and American Fork. Plus he wrote the most recent guide book for Maple and is working on one for AF. Go see him when you get in town and he can probably give you some really good suggestions. Mountainworks also has a fine selection of gear if you need any while you're in town. They just got in a load of new CAMP draws and Tendon ropes. 

Awesome!  Thanks for the info Ryan.  That should help us out a lot!!

Austin Baird wrote:

Maple is way better for those grades. Most of the 10s in AF are polished and slick and kind of miserable.

Thanks for the heads up Austin!

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

I've never heard of any shop renting guidebooks...

You buy a new one then sell as used...(make it up on overpriced shipping...ha ha).

I prefer to have a guidebook ahead of time to get spots mapped out and planned in advance.  Database here on the 'proj is good for that too, though.

Hit both.  They're only an hour and a half or two apart.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

Maple is definitely the more destination-worthy crag.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Maple vs American Fork"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started