Mountain Project Logo

Help from Boulder locals

Original Post
SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

It's been maybe 15+ years since I used to fly out and visit my brother and friends in Ned and Boulder. I would always climb during my visits and want to repeat some of what I recall as fun routes.  Can anyone help out with some info?  I seem to remember the amphitheater (flagstaff are?) having some fun bolted routes but when I search it in Mtn Proj it only shows Boulder problems. Anyway, among other routes in the area I remember a (5.9ish, steep if not overhung sport route in the amphitheater that was maybe 75ft?). This is from memory of course. Am I thinking of the wrong area? 

Second question.  Feel free to share some of your favorite routes, areas in Eldo and Boulder canyon. 5.7-5.10+ Yosemite climber. Classics or fun obscure multipitch. 

THANKS IN ADVANCE EVERYONE! 

Jay Eggleston · · Denver · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 21,326

Look here:  https://www.mountainproject.com/v/gregory-canyon-including-the-amphitheatre/105829700

There are lots of routes.  Not just boulder problems.

Forrest Williams · · Denver · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 25

Not sure what you are remembering.. But I can give recommendations. I'm going to suggest climbs harder than your Yosemite grade as you should feel like certain areas around boulder are soft.

Eldorado Canyon:

Long John Wall 5.8

Gambit 5.8

Hair City 5.9+

Handcracker Direct 5.10a

Rosy Crucifixtion to Alice in Bucket Land 5.10a

Over the hill 5.10b

Outerspace 5.10c

Super Slab 5.10+

Genesis (1st pitch) 5.11a

Naked Edge 5.11a/b

Boulder Canyon:

Wrinkles in Time 5.9

Young and Rackless 5.9

Lust 5.10c

The Slit to Left Side 5.10

The Scientist 5.11a

Free Whilly 5.11a

Hunky Monkey 5.11a

Divination 5.11a

Country Club Crack 5.11a (aid bottom bolts, do in one pitch

Also the south platte and lumpy ridge are in season if your stoked on granite cracks. Lots of multi pitch opportunities to be had in those parts.

Eric Klammer · · Eagle, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 2,070

The steep sport route in the amphitheater is called Raptors in Cellophane. It's quite fun and should be listed on MP!

Yeah, Eric that's it!  I guess I was looking in the wrong spot so thanks Jay and Forrest for your to do list. Will certainly pick some stuff from there. Thanks guys!  Climb safe this season. 

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
SRB25 wrote:

Yeah, Eric that's it!  I guess I was looking in the wrong spot so thanks Jay and Forrest for your to do list. Will certainly pick some stuff from there. Thanks guys!  Climb safe this season. 

Just watch out for nesting closures. 

Mark Roth · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 14,062
Eric Klammer wrote:

The steep sport route in the amphitheater is called Raptors in Cellophane. It's quite fun and should be listed on MP!

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/red-wall-aka-raptors-in-cellophane/105748514

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!  It was a great trip and the weather was epic. Front row seat to that hail storm also. Nuts. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Help from Boulder locals"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.