Mountain Project Logo

Climbing in the Black Canyon.

Original Post
Kirk · · Lakewood · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 31

I was planning on heading to Indian Creek (from Golden) for a week or two but though of stopping off to climb in the Black Canyon on Friday if anyone is interested. Could possibly even make it out there for a climb thursday, but not as likely. I've been trad climbing for over 20 years and have a lot of experience on long multipitch.   Tried to climb in the Black twice but had bad luck with weather so I'd be psyched to do almost anything but would love to get on one of the classics.  If Friday doesn't work and anyone is interested over the next couple of weeks, I'm sure I could be torn away from IC if the weather, partner and planets align. 

Kirk

845 430 3599

Liba Kopeckova · · Montrose, CO · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 210

The north rim is still closed. The climbing from the South Rim is more confusing and less routes. I think they will be opening in a couple of weeks. I love climbing in the Black, and would be interested! Did about 7 routes there so far, but only a couple can lead all pitches. Let me know if interested in the future. libuska@mac.com P.S. I will be at Indian Creek this weekend too.

Jason Brown · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 1,072

I'm always looking to get to the black Canyon, I'm just in Carbondale and can go last minute sometimes…10-12+ range. 309–6247

Ray Hellinger · · Gunnison, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 350

I'm ALWAYS looking for future partners for the Black Canyon.  It's my absolute favorite place!  Just be advised, yes, I cry, yell, shake, drink, at that place.  But hey, that emotion can be beautiful!......right?! :)

Kirk · · Lakewood · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 31

Thanks for the replies.  Looks like I lined up a partner for Friday, but I will definitely keep y'all in mind for future adventures!

We  should just start a black partner thread!

D Snyder · · Golden, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 60
Jay 1975 wrote:

We  should just start a black partner thread!

What a great idea! I love The Black. Count me in for a thread for experienced partners. Let me know if you wanna go, I can swing 4 days off and mid-week trips pretty easily. Received an email from the rangers today that the North Rim CG is open. Makes my palms sweat in anticipation. 

Sounds good! 

It was a good wknd but chilly breeze, perfect!

Reuben Cousin · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 15

Anyone want to go to the black canyon this weekend?  I'm also interested in unaweep canyon and the creek

D Snyder · · Golden, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 60

Anybody gonna be in the Black next week? Say sometime like 17th - 21st? I've got some free time... Competent, safe .10 climber seeks similar.

Anyone available for Black on 21/22/23?......please, please, please......

Ray Hellinger wrote:

Anyone available for Black on 21/22/23?......please, please, please......

i am if my buddy cant make it! ill know by tues! Thinkin anything above 10+ FYI 

Jonathan S · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 176

I'm looking for 4/23-4/25, if the weather is good.

Reuben Cousin · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 15

I too am interested in black canyon for next weekend.  Sending a PM

James Klaers · · Boulder and Leadville, CO.… · Joined May 2015 · Points: 155
D. Snyder wrote:

Anybody gonna be in the Black next week? Say sometime like 17th - 21st? I've got some free time... Competent, safe .10 climber seeks similar.

I'm available Mon through Friday this week 17th - 21st. I live in Leadville and could happily make tomorrow happen and climb as many things as desired/able. I am taking an AMGA rock guide course this fall, have tons of experience with ropes and multipitch and climb up to .10/.11 on trad. Hit me up at 303.746.4342 if you want to climb in the Black. 

Jonathan S · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 176
Jonathan Stickel wrote:

I'm looking for 4/23-4/25, if the weather is good.

Weather looks good! I have a tentative partner for Sun (4/23). I need a partner for 4/24-25 (Mon-Tue). I lead up to mid 5.10 with plenty of experience on long multi-pitch, cracks, and offwidths. Send me a PM.

Still looking for someone for this fri-sun.  Haven't climbed in Black in 10ish years, but did a bunch of routes.  Kinda weak so need to just do some of the classic ones this time.  Anyway, please feel free to call if interested (FYI, not into the endless emails/texts....I much rather speak with a potential partner directly to get a good feeling, thanks.).....970-759-7462

Ray

Kirtis Courkamp · · Golden · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 378

Does anyone want to climb in the black this weekend? 

H Lue · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 10
Kirtis Courkamp wrote:

Does anyone want to climb in the black this weekend? 

Thought about it but the weather is scaring me away. 

Kirtis Courkamp · · Golden · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 378

Ya the weather was lookin ok... not so much now 

Lars Hedin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2010 · Points: 15

Hey all,

In CO for a bit (rifle right now) and hoping to climb in the Black. Pretty open schedule till around the 11th

New to the Black but plenty of experience climbing long big walls and multipitch routes. Comfy leading mid 10ish or following harder.

Lars

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado Partners
Post a Reply to "Climbing in the Black Canyon."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started