Mountain Project Logo

BD Venom no more??

Original Post
Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

I've been toying with the ideas of buying a tech pick for my BD Venom for a little while and have noticed fewer and fewer stores carrying them over the last couple mounts. I finally ordered one on Backcountry last week, only to have my order canceled today.

I meandered over the BD's website and it looks like the Venom is no longer even listed as a product anymore!

WhiskeyDan · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 65

Looks like they are discontinuing them.

BD has them on sale for $104.96, plus you can get 20% off with EXTRA20

blackdiamondequipment.com/e…

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Man, nice axe there.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

They are being replaced this spring with an updated model.

thealpinestart.com/2016/08/…

jon jugenheimer wrote:They are being replaced this spring with an updated model. thealpinestart.com/2016/08/…
Wow those new Venoms are sexy as hellllllll
Ben Walsh · · Louisville, CO · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

Anyone tried adding any of the many sliding pommels out there to the old Venom, including, but not limited to the flicklock pommel on the new Venom?

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

Wow those are pretty sweet.  Not sweet enough to upgrade from my venoms, but still pretty bad ass.  

All around great tool. 

diepj · · PDX · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

I believe I read somewhere that the venom re-design was intended to harmonize the head design of the entire BD lineup so the picks interchangeable across all of the tools. Right now the (old) venom's have different picks than everything else. 

diepj wrote:

I believe I read somewhere that the venom re-design was intended to harmonize the head design of the entire BD lineup so the picks interchangeable across all of the tools. Right now the (old) venom's have different picks than everything else. 

Shit does this mean I should buy some extra picks???? 

Has anybody tried the new Venom or Swift?  I'm interested to know if the pinky rest locks at the bottom of the shaft.  

diepj · · PDX · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

What are you trying to climb with Venom's that wears out picks?!? I've been climbing with mine for several years and I think I might have touched up the tech pick maybe once when I accidentally swung into something shallow.  Of course I only use it in snow and easier alpine ice.  Anything I think will be legit ice or mixed and I bring out other tools.

But yeah...  Might want to stock up if you burn through them.  Probably on closeout soon!

diepj wrote:

What are you trying to climb with Venom's that wears out picks?!? I've been climbing with mine for several years and I think I might have touched up the tech pick maybe once when I accidentally swung into something shallow.  Of course I only use it in snow and easier alpine ice.  Anything I think will be legit ice or mixed and I bring out other tools.

But yeah...  Might want to stock up if you burn through them.  Probably on closeout soon!

Good point!  These pics will probably outlive me, but once there are no more available one will snap at the tip. haha  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "BD Venom no more?? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started