Mountain Project Logo

New Alpenbock Trail System in LCC

Original Post
BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240

Not 100% sure what to make of the new trail system for the lower LCC climbing/bouldering access.  Don't get me wrong the trails looks great and was done well.  It's nice to have clear trails right to the base of crags but routes like Mexican Crack seem to have had a lot of vegetation removed. Crack in the Woods no longer seems to be an applicable name.  I'm sure it will grow on me and I appreciate the effort and cost that went into making the trail system.  If you haven't been up there since the change (about a week since the signs went in) you can now loop from the park n ride all the way up to the the Crescent Crack Buttress with a new trail leading from there up to Bong Eater and then back west and down to the park n ride on the west side.  I know portions of this trail have been in place for some time but it's now fully connected and you can walk one trail from The Egg to Bong Eater and back to the park n ride.  Just wanted to see what other's thoughts were on this change. I should have taken pictures to post maybe I'll add them later. 

BoogieRose · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Agree 100% with your thoughts above.  The signs will definitely help people stay on the trails and "know" where they are going. I believe the end effect is going to be much more traffic in LCC though.  SLCA in my opinion wants to sell it as helping the canyon. I totally disagree. I believe it will just increase use/traffic which is going to make things like the boulders more accessible for those who want to tag things up, gumby getting in over his/her head, etc.  There are plans to continue expanding the trail system up the canyon towards the gate, so it is what it is.

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 888

My opinion is that the lower section of crags in the canyon see the most number of climber days over the calender year. As such they're the focal point for our communities efforts to present the SLCA's stewardship of the land. Thus the Alpenbock Trail System acts as a display piece of what the SLCA is capable of when given reign to apply for grants, source volunteers, and execute a plan on public land directly in front of the eyes of the powers that be whoever they are. The result of this will hopefully be the continued cooperation of the Forest Service with the SLCA (and presumably the Access Fund) for future projects wherever they may be.

I can't speak to the de-vegetation of belay zones or new trail sections, but trust the judgement of the professional trail team they've brought in to perform the work. Change is a tough pill to swallow sometimes especially when it's more dramatic than anticipated. I was surprised at the extent of the new trail system at first as well! 

Jack Crockett · · SLC · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 16

Well the web of unchecked climbers trails cutting perpendicular to contour and wrecking surface vegetation through subsequent erosion isn't too easy on the eyes either. Continued overuse with unestablished access would ultimately have been worse for the area. 

All outdoor recreationalist drift toward entitlement as their skill and experience increase. It's not always a pretty ego check when the same place that you do what makes you feel extreme is the where someone also will be able to walk their dog or have a picnic. A kid that vandalizes a crag is an asshole and a redneck that climbs with a hemp hardware store rope is an idiot.The drive of idiot assholes is infrequently lessened by having to cut new trails.

I think Muir Valley and Eldo are great case studies of how well used climbing areas with great access can be managed successfully. 

M L · · Sonora, CA · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 165

The approach to the Bong Eater is now absurb

zoso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 790
notmyname wrote:

The approach to the Bong Eater is now absurb

As is basic spelling. 

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

For some details: http://www.saltlakeclimbers.org/alpenbock-loop-climbing-trail-access-project/

As for those who may not like the changes - step up and get involved. These plans were open to public comment from the start. The SLCA made multiple announcements and shared materials. That said the climber trails were not sustainable, whereas the new trails have to meet a specific standard as they are on public land managed by the Forest Service.

tenesmus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2004 · Points: 3,023

Isn't the closure of the west end temporary, while they actually build that part of the trail?

"Phase two of the project continues with work to stabilize the trail systems and staging areas" and "Temporary directional signage will help you find you way."

Sorry to inconvenience people while the work is happening.  Some of the trail corridor may seems wide now but they won't in a few years.

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

Criss-crossing social trails and lost people tromping through vegetation is way worse for erosion than having one clear, maintained trail. I support it.

Just as a note for everyone on this. Today is the last day to publically comment on future work to be done in Joe's Valley. They are going to do trail improvements, create established camp-sites (disallowing dispersed camping) and put in a pit toilet.

Info can be found here:

https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front-office/eplanning/planAndProjectSite.do?methodName=dispatchToPatternPage¤tPageId=115889

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "New Alpenbock Trail System in LCC"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started