Mountain Project Logo

Frenchman's Trundling

Original Post
Aaron Nash · · North Bend, WA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 212

Just a PSA: don't trundle huge blocks on the weekend out at Frenchman's Coulee (or any crowded crag for that matter). Last weekend was one of the busiest weekends I've seen out there in a long time. It was definitely not the time to be pushing off boulders; ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE ARE OTHERS CLIMBING BELOW YOU. 

Get off your high, uninformed horse and use your damn heads. Do it when nobody is around, come back on a weekday, or just tell the community.

The collective circlejerk-backpatting conversation that was being had for taking mountaineers classes was high quality entertainment however; keep it up! 

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214

trundle means to move slowly and heavily

brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 87
mstolorena wrote:

trundling is a "thing", sadly.  I've heard many use the term over the years all to describe the process/act of pushing and rolling large rocks and boulders down scree or slopes.  Usually not off cliffs though.

mstolorena wrote:

Hey, thanks for that helpful contribution.

I have no problem with slow moving Frenchmen.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Seth Jones wrote:

I assume you talked to them about your concerns in person and this is just a follow-up?

Knowing the OP, without even asking I am sure that a conversation occurred. 

While we are on the subject of stupid stuff at vantage, just because you see a crack around a hold doesn't mean you need to throw giant chalk Xs everywhere. Start of boschido was littered with them on holds that I couldn't get to budge with all my muscle. Same goes to writing the grade of a route on the rock with chalk. Don't shit at the base of chimneys either. God damnit get off my lawn.

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Fort Collins, CO / Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10
While we are on the subject of stupid stuff at vantage, just because you see a crack around a hold doesn't mean you need to throw giant chalk Xs everywhere. Start of boschido was littered with them on holds that I couldn't get to budge with all my muscle. Same goes to writing the grade of a route on the rock with chalk. Don't shit at the base of chimneys either. God damnit get off my lawn.

I have a few Eastern Washington grumpy old man complaints. Between the hordes of climbers sporting brand-new 'draws and the concert crowds, Vantage really gets hammered. I feel like it's worse by the day--I haven't been out there since 2015 and I'm afraid of how crowded it'll be when I get back. At least DNR finally put in a toilet. Tieton has gotten "re-discovered" too, 5 years ago there was never anyone out there. Luckily I think the lack of bolts and abundance of rattlesnakes should keep the crowds down. This time of year Tieton is like a rattler petting zoo. In one afternoon a few years ago I had a snake set up residence in my rope bag and another curl up on top of a cam I'd placed as a directional. 

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625
Jimmy Sledd wrote:

I have a few Eastern Washington grumpy old man complaints. Between the hordes of climbers sporting brand-new 'draws and the concert crowds, Vantage really gets hammered. I feel like it's worse by the day--I haven't been out there since 2015 and I'm afraid of how crowded it'll be when I get back. At least DNR finally put in a toilet. Tieton has gotten "re-discovered" too, 5 years ago there was never anyone out there. Luckily I think the lack of bolts and abundance of rattlesnakes should keep the crowds down. This time of year Tieton is like a rattler petting zoo. In one afternoon a few years ago I had a snake set up residence in my rope bag and another curl up on top of a cam I'd placed as a directional. 

You forgot to mention the mountain lions and the red necks w/guns. Dangerous place. Best to stay home.

Please.

Bryce Adamson · · Burlington, CT · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,392
mstolorena wrote:

Are you thinking of "lumbering"?

"Trundle" literally means to cause to roll, as in to roll boulders off of a cliff.

Seth Jones wrote:

I assume you talked to them about your concerns in person and this is just a follow-up?

Yeah, concerns were expressed. Tried to educate and be helpful; it was ignored in a rather condescending manner. 

Thought it would be useful to remind the collective PNW internut that proper etiquette involves not endangering others below you by pushing rocks off of the tops of climbs on purpose. Maybe I'm just getting crotchety, but I figured it would go without saying. Every season shit get's crazier out there. 

Now get off my lawn and leave my rattlesnakes alone.

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,362
Pete Spri · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 347

Wow, scary to hear.  A good heads up, because I would assume that people would know better.  Wouldnt have thought to be vigilant of trundling at a busy place like that on a weekend!

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Jimmy Sledd wrote:

They're working on getting a second toilet, desperately needed. I've decided that Vantage is only a valid option when there is snow and ice on the ground. Had some nice days when I can't feel my fingers.

There were rattlesnakes jumping out of trees last weekend at Tieton. I have had one decide to hang out in the base of a crack my partner was climbing, while they were mid route. Sub optimal.

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Fort Collins, CO / Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

Trundling can and has killed people--a human-accelerated boulder killed a Lander climber in the Legg Lake cirque about 10 years ago. 

Jplotz · · Cashmere, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,315

Oh Vantage. So unappreciated yet so necessary.  My favorite line I constantly hear, "I normally climb at Index."

MorganH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 197

Friends don't let friends climb at vantage.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103
Jplotz wrote:

Oh Vantage. So unappreciated yet so necessary.  My favorite line I constantly hear, "I normally climb at Index."

ha ha so true.  usually you hear that line right after listening to a long winded monologue about how they are leading ice climbing trips, and how they are famous for putting their first piece in really, really high, and how they are famous for having their pieces sooooo far apart, and how they are famous for only placing stoppers,......

.....and right before they place their first piece at chest level, make one step up, yell "TAAKKKEEE!!!!!!"..  "oh god, i don't know why i am taking, this isn't even hard..."..... "TAAAKKKEEEE"........,  .......,  ........,  ..........

....and after a long time when they get to the anchor they don't know how to use 2 quickdraws....  "well, it's just soooo  much different than making an ice climbing anchor...."

on a 5.8.....

no joke - you will literally see this all day there.  it is quite fascinating.

Lalp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 35

Stopped through there last weekend to check it out and was shocked at the amount of humans there.  Is it always such a zoo?  I thought its geography would save it as it's fairly displaced from any major urban area.  Seemed like the ease of access and relatively low commitment required make it so popular.

Jplotz · · Cashmere, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,315
Lalp wrote:

Stopped through there last weekend to check it out and was shocked at the amount of humans there.  Is it always such a zoo?  I thought its geography would save it as it's fairly displaced from any major urban area.  Seemed like the ease of access and relatively low commitment required make it so popular.

It's slammed because it's the only dry cragging in most of the PNW from December to February. And the columns and lower tier have a friendly gym feel to them.  Despite the crowds I always have a great time there.

Patrick Nygren · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 20

Two weeks ago, I was climbing at Millennium Wall and had orange peels hit me in the face...when I got up a little higher I called them out and got this response "Oh sorry man, didn't know anyone was down there." First of all, what? Second, it's still garbage, whether or not it hits someone in the face.

Same trip, I saw a rock the size of a laptop come down and hit a dog - luckily it bounced first, otherwise that dog would be dead. Unclear if the rock was "trundled" or just accidentally got dislodged.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

there is also a college nearby.  but it i agree w/ jplotz - i always have fun there also.  there is a really good concentration of bolted and gear routes, and you can get in a lot of pitches if you  hustle.  i also kind of like how it is a bit loose, kind of keeps you on edge a bit.

MorganH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 197
slim wrote:

ha ha so true.  usually you hear that line right after listening to a long winded monologue about how they are leading ice climbing trips, and how they are famous for putting their first piece in really, really high, and how they are famous for having their pieces sooooo far apart, and how they are famous for only placing stoppers,......

.....and right before they place their first piece at chest level, make one step up, yell "TAAKKKEEE!!!!!!"..  "oh god, i don't know why i am taking, this isn't even hard..."..... "TAAAKKKEEEE"........,  .......,  ........,  ..........

....and after a long time when they get to the anchor they don't know how to use 2 quickdraws....  "well, it's just soooo  much different than making an ice climbing anchor...."

on a 5.8.....

no joke - you will literally see this all day there.  it is quite fascinating.

I actually do usually climb at index. My vantage catch phrase is, "wow, this is terrifying. I would never lead on gear here. ROCK!! I'm never coming back."

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Frenchman's Trundling"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started