Mountain Project Logo

Micro Traxion questions

Original Post
Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 450

I've been using the Micro Traxion for TR solo and have a couple of questions

1) Do people that TR with it normally remove the device fully from the rope when they rappel?  I wouldn't mind leaving it on, both for efficiency and because it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to drop it, but the cam lock is incredibly sensitive and it takes almost no effort to re-engage it, which is a pain.  Am I doing something wrong in terms of tripping the lock or is it just super easy to do?  Also, the Micro sometimes slides down into the ATC and locks it...

2) Unfortunately I bought a BD Gridlock to use with the Micro because I thought it'd keep the Micro from cross-loading.  I guess it does do that but man are Gridlocks annoying.  Do people have a particular locking biner that they feel works best with the Micro?  I was thinking a smallish locking D like the DMM Phantom locker that I use on my Grigri.  Or some other type of anti-crossloading biner?

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214

Give the Petzl OK triact-lock a try. Thing seems to always orient correctly when I start to weight it.

Benjamin Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Hey, I also just started using a micro traxion for TR solo. You will notice that if you clip an MT to a d-shaped locker, you can't slide it around the bend between the basket and the spine. I wonder if there's the potential to produce some dangerous leverage on the carabiner basket if you fall in a way that presses the MT into the bend. On the Petzl site they recommend using pear shaped or oval carabiners with the MT. I use a attache which seems to work well.

Benjamin Mitchell wrote: On the Petzl site they recommend using pear shaped or oval carabiners with the MT. I use a attache which seems to work well.

Ahh, the old "read the manual" trick!  ;)  Sure enough, that's what it says, thanks.

Max Tepfer · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 2,513

I've done a lot of rope soloing with micros and the best solution I've found to limit carabiner rotation is the No-Twist belay loop in CAMP harnesses.  (I like the Laser CR)  It's a slick feature that adds a lot of peace of mind to exactly this situation.

What do you guys do about rappelling and taking the device off the rope versus disabling the cam?

Xam · · Boulder, Co · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 76
Benjamin Mitchell wrote:

Hey, I also just started using a micro traxion for TR solo. You will notice that if you clip an MT to a d-shaped locker, you can't slide it around the bend between the basket and the spine. I wonder if there's the potential to produce some dangerous leverage on the carabiner basket if you fall in a way that presses the MT into the bend. On the Petzl site they recommend using pear shaped or oval carabiners with the MT. I use a attache which seems to work wel

Breaking of the biner due to cross loading is a minor concern.  The real reason to use a orientation keeper type biner is to prevent rotation of the biner through the trax and having some feature on the biner bend the trax plate, which is really easy.  Those plates bend under body weight, if the torque is in the right spot.

drewdogg2112 · · halifax, MA · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 20

I use the petzl Basic for my solo tr stuff but I think pretty much the same idea. I take the Basic off of the rope but just keep it attached to my belay loop. I would recommend doing the same with the Micro if having it lock up is a problem. Seems like you could cause some damage to rope if you are rapping at a good speed and it locks up. Also +1 on using a locking oval biner. Its designed to keep the tool attached to it in a good orientation so it wont cross load. I also like to attach a small lanyard to the top of my Basic and loop it over my neck just to keep it in a good upright position while I climb. Cheers

rkrum · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 61

Yes, I remove the micro trax from the rope when rapping. The cam lock, or lack thereof, on the micro is a feature I am happy to have. I dremeled off the lock on my mini I used to use to avoid accidentally unlocking the device.

For TR solo, maybe consider using a length of cord to tie into the microtrax through the tie in points on your harness. This almost completely eliminates extension and risk of cross loading. Yes, you have to untie and re-tie every time you want on or off the rope but this is my preferred method.

If you don't like that idea, the smallest dmm locker actually works pretty well. Seems to load the plates evenly and doesn't seem as prone to cross loading them as much as other non-hms or oval lockers. I use this on my jugging setup since I don't own a chest ascender and the cord is just one more cluster I don't want to deal with in this context.

The BD gridlock in combination with a chest harness isn't bad either. If you rig it correctly and aren't trying to rope solo wide cracks, this is great option.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Just get a steel locker if you're concerned about X-loading.

Dave Oakden · · St. George, UT · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

Yes, remove it fully from the rope before rappelling. Have fun, back up!

Gunkiemike wrote:

Just get a steel locker if you're concerned about X-loading.

I was more thinking of cross loading the Micro than the biner. Great, now I can worry about both! 

Dave O wrote:

Yes, remove it fully from the rope before rappelling. Have fun, back up!

Definitely. My set up yesterday actually had 2 of everything including the anchors. 

Scott Polk · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

Petzl has a lot of great info on this subject here: https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/To-read-for-self-belaying?ProductName=MICRO-TRAXION&Familly=Pulleys#.WOaULYgrKM8

Plenty of other tips and tricks on the right side to check out.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

I use a mini trax and remove it for rappel. I use a biner like this 

to ensure it doesn't get crossloaded and I use a loop of bungee cord girth hitched to the minitrax's clip in point and then looped around my neck. This helps keep it in the upright position and also helps it feed unattended. I will also tie an overhand on a bight as a backup to jam in the trax periodically or whenever I get to a good stance. 

Make sure you double check everything and weight it preferably before leaving the ground, as well as before unclipping from the anchor to rappel. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Optimistic wrote:

I was more thinking of cross loading the Micro than the biner. Great, now I can worry about both! 

Just use the old style Petzl Basic ascender.  Can't cross load it, and it sits upright (with a cord thru upper hole) so there is effectively ZERO slack in the system. I don't want ANY device that drags along below the harness.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Micro Traxion questions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started