Mountain Project Logo

Best way to camp when flying in?

Original Post
Chelsea Henry · · Anacortes, Washington · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 15

My friend and I are flying into Oakland may 13-20th and plan on spending the week in the park. 

I'm trying to avoid having to bring a ton of camping gear on the plane,  but having a heck of a time finding any sort of excursion/adventure van rental that isn't absurdly expensive. 

Any ideas guys??

Rich Brereton · · Pownal, ME · Joined May 2009 · Points: 175

I'm a little confused by the question - are you saying you're considering renting a van to drive from WA instead of flying? Regardless, an economy car should do the trick with two people. There are lots of things you can do to save room in your bags. Bring a tiny canister stove and buy canisters in Oakland. Get a compression stuff sack and keep your sleeping bag compressed until you get to camp. Leave your tent footprint behind. Get collapsible water containers.

Lothian Buss · · Durango, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 15

If mosquitoes won't be an issue, stop at walmart and pick up a big tarp (at least like 9x12) and some clothesline or paracord?

Then you just need your sleeping bags and pads.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Uh, "in the park" in Oakland? or can I surmise that you mean driving to Yosemite or some other Sierra park?

You can rent an RV from Cruise America for less than $100 a night. Given that a basic rental car is about $60 per night it's a good price. They also have pickups with a camper that are more reasonable to drive around in than a motorhome. 

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

pay to bring one checked bag. you should have no problem fitting camping gear in a 150L duffel and checking it. carry your rack and rope on the plane (if youre low on checked space). 

its easy enough to carry all of that in a 60L bag when backpacking, you should have no problem fitting it in a single checked bag.

jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
AndrewArroz wrote:

You can rent an RV from Cruise America for less than $100 a night. Given that a basic rental car is about $60 per night it's a good price. They also have pickups with a camper that are more reasonable to drive around in than a motorhome. 

A car is about $250 for the week from the Oakland airport.

rozaosa · · Longmont, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

Southwest lets you check 2 bags in for free,  Flights to Oakland are dirt cheep if you fly through them. 2 people = 4 bags checked and 4 carry on's. I've never had an issue with too much gear when i fly with them. 

Edit: just found flights for $94 one way from Seattle to Oakland

jmmlol wrote:

A car is about $250 for the week from the Oakland airport.

Good to hear rental car prices are down. Last time I was there it was ridiculous. Still, a motorhome or camper for under $100 per night is great value.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Best way to camp when flying in? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started