Mountain Project Logo

So much gear. So many opinions.

Original Post
Delete Account · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Just geared up. BD harness, qk draws, 4 locking biners, 4 reg biners, pruisk long enough for a foot loop, grigri 2 that will get a string for solo sport climb, bandaids, helmet, 9.8mm sterling evolution velocity rope (60m $154 on Amazon), and some webbing. I also have an atc and a petzl pirana. Don't worry,  im not heading the Everest. I'm gonna pratice on a steep hill for a bit and do dry runs. 

Gonna make a mock sport climb  (I live on a 86 acre farm with some steep hills). Set 5 anchors and go through the whole process until I can do it with my eyes closed. Since im blind that part will be easy.  

My question, what all do I really need to bring along for a sport climb? The internet searches have told me all kinds of stuff. Lots of that stuff includes devices that have been recalled and warm people not to use them (Silent partner). 

The internet has also told me to use a micro Traxion? With a backup. I've read up on these devices in forums and everyone seems to say, "Don't use toothed devices like xxx".

Im sure my research has just over complicated everything. 

I did a one jump off the rappel tower in boot camp and won us all a pizza party. One jump to get from the top to the bottom. Please, spare me your fears of solo and precautions. Nothing is really safe. I am taking my time. I will practice. I won't be going tomorrow or anytime soon.

Current location is SE ohio. 

Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35

In the off chance this is not a troll:

"What do I really need to bring along for a sport climb?" An experienced partner to show you how to belay, climb, and lead WAY before you venture off into the very complicated and dangerous world of roped-solo lead climbing.  There is plenty of guidance out there on roped-solo technique and gear, nothing new is going to be said here.  This is the same user base that generated that confusing/conflicting information you complain about.  You either have the experience to understand and apply what is already out there or you don't. 

However, I bet this is a troll.  Way to go all poetic with "spare me your fears"!  

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525
Scott Diller wrote:

My question, what all do I really need to bring along for a sport climb?

Quick Draws

5.Seven-Kevin · · Las Vegas · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

You could try bringing a partner......

That usually helps me

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847
Scott Diller wrote:

Just geared up. BD harness, qk draws, 4 locking biners, 4 reg biners, pruisk long enough for a foot loop, grigri 2 that will get a string for solo sport climb, bandaids, helmet, 9.8mm sterling evolution velocity rope (60m $154 on Amazon), and some webbing. I also have an atc and a petzl pirana. Don't worry,  im not heading the Everest. I'm gonna pratice on a steep hill for a bit and do dry runs. 

Gonna make a mock sport climb  (I live on a 86 acre farm with some steep hills). Set 5 anchors and go through the whole process until I can do it with my eyes closed. Since im blind that part will be easy.  

My question, what all do I really need to bring along for a sport climb? The internet searches have told me all kinds of stuff. Lots of that stuff includes devices that have been recalled and warm people not to use them (Silent partner). 

The internet has also told me to use a micro Traxion? With a backup. I've read up on these devices in forums and everyone seems to say, "Don't use toothed devices like xxx".

Im sure my research has just over complicated everything. 

I did a one jump off the rappel tower in boot camp and won us all a pizza party. One jump to get from the top to the bottom. Please, spare me your fears of solo and precautions. Nothing is really safe. I am taking my time. I will practice. I won't be going tomorrow or anytime soon.

Current location is SE ohio. 

Are you talking about solo leading a sport climb or solo top rope? There is a huge difference between the two.

BTW you're over racked for Everest

Jon Nelson · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 8,191
Scott Diller wrote:

It is amazing that you can do any of this as a blind person. Or was the 'blind' word just used as a figure of speech?

n00b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Stupid troll is stupid. What a waste of time.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342

Whats a bandaids?

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

You'll for sure want XS Edge on your left foot and C4 on right.  

A rack of RP's will will come in handy.

Oh and a couple of titanium ice screws.

James Sweeney · · Roselle Park, NJ · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 30

Not a troll. Ive just been reading for the last year and doing some gearing up.

The most common thing I read is how unsafe all of this is. So, ditch the self belay idea, rope, anchors, and go scurry up a wall? Dangerous? ok reading comments and will respond to some. Thanks to anyone who offered any useful advice. Oh, I am mostly doing this for photography. Eventually ill get some cams and block wedges for climbing random stuff that isnt pre anchored.

I'm not blind. Im a smart ass.

Ice screws. Rarely if ever. I grew up in the snowbelt, NE ohio. I have nothing to prove about getting cold and doing things outside. Ill read up on the boot gear.

Solo lead climbing sport route. I will inevitably do some solo tope rope. My plan, is to use a 3 point anchor on the ground/base instead of a belayer. Climb to first anchor and clip in. Use grigri2 as a self belay with X as back up and pretied knots in my rope. Top rope climbing gear seems simple. Having the rope under you at all times makes micro traxions or other devices useabled. Solo lead climb has a risk of quite a fall. So I am making sure that if that happens i dont use something that will cut my rope or just fail.

Bringing a partner to a solo climb is actually impossible. It is. 

Roped solo lead climbing... That might be the phrase That describes what I am wanting to learn. This is just a starting point. Further education and instruction will almist certainly be obtained. Self education is great! But taking a 20ft fall is a big risk and before I do that I'll want someone to give me the ok to do it. I really dont want to or plan on falling... I just wanna climb.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

Gear is rarely the problem. Experience and knowledge is usually the problem. Not really sure what's up with the photo of the gym either..? 

You probably want to save money and time poking around with gear that you probably don't know how to use just yet and invest in some courses. People who buy gear before knowing how to use it usually end up replacing it for stuff that works better for them anyways. It sounds like you don't have any partners to show you the ropes, so hiring an instructor is something you should really consider. (That's how I got into it.) You definitely don't want to be running up walls solo if you don't yet know what basic gear you need for a sport route!

I recognize that you probably believe that you are being conservative with your approach. However, do realize that people are giving you flak because, to the more experienced observer, your plan is likely to fail. As you know, failure is likely significant injury or death.

Hope this helps with your pursuit! 

Roped solo lead climbing. Thanks. Just knowing the right phrase really helps.

https://youtu.be/SyAMQuqhj6I

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/108100558/systems-for-rope-solo-climbing#ForumMessage-108107420

Silent partner is discontinued. Their site says, "This will not keep you safe!"

They have another recall notice for something else.

Top Rope Hero · · Was Estes Park, now homeless · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 1,150

Yah. I second the 'block wedges,' Scott. Lot's 'n' lots of block wedges...

Dan Africk · · Brooklyn, New York · Joined May 2014 · Points: 275

I'm still not sure if this is a troll, but in case it isn't..

Are those 'steep hills' on your farm bolted? Because if not, sport climbing of any sort isn't going to happen..

Roped soloing of any kind is an advanced skill that requires specialized techniques and equipment which most climbers, myself included, are not familiar with. Even if that's your goal, I really think you should learn and practice the basic skills of top rope belaying and climbing, and then eventually lead climbing and belaying, so you understand the fundamental principles of how all that works. And then there's anchor building, which is an entire subject on it's own (and a very important one!), that you should learn from a guide or well experienced partner.

Once you have all of that down- you can confidently top rope, lead, belay, and build anchors- then read up about roped solo techniques and seek guidance from people who have done it. A lot of things will make more sense to you at that point. 

I don't know what if any knowledge or experience you have related to climbing skills, but it sounds like maybe none, since you only mentioned that jump in boot camp. If you jump straight to teaching yourself how to rope solo just based on reading online, and even our wonderful forum, without some hands on training and guidance from an experienced partner or guide, the odds of you messing up and something horrible happening is very very high..

Ol Leatherhands · · Olympia, WA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Gotta be a troll...

Its Isaac · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Yeah this guy....

Sounds like you haven't done a single lead climb even at the local gym

Yer actually literally gonna die.

Put in the mileage on top rope, then on lead. You aren't so much more uber-competent than the rest of us that you can jump straight into the deep end and not expect to flounder (read, again, actually die). Unless ur a troll, in which case you are highly competent and need more block wedges 

I haven't done anything like that. Never used a ripe for any kinda of climbing except for boot camp. Which I s why, I am gearing up and using a sttep hill here. As stated, in the opening. I live in southeast ohio now and going someplace to learn is a bit of a drive. So, I'll self teach right here, with the internet. There is no local gym.

No grumpy cat. Just a guy about ti help the farrier trim horse hooves. 

Google Jerusalem Ohio and find a local anything. Gotta go.

Oh. This all started as tree climbing arborist stuff. I had bought a static line and just about everything I needed before winter hit. I'll probably do the tree climbing arborist stuff during my steep hill dry runs. I am also gonna setup some cameras by hawk nests down here. 

Matt, I have no idea how to physically respond to your message. I havent foubd an inbox yet.

I'm in no rush folks. I'm incredibly capable and will get some instruction before doing anything ither than my steep hills here. Its just dry runs to see how everything workz. 

No rush = another 2 to 3 years. I am i. The middle of quite a few things and this is just being dine in the background. Thanks for the concern.

Diamond says Hi! I am still fitting his new halter. Everything is dangerous. Education is key. Horse lessons here are local and Ive dine thisthe same way. Learn all that I can. Take sime classes to work out the bugs. 

But first thing was that I needed to know what gear i needed. I didn't want a barrel racing saddle for trail riding. What kind of bit? Any at home exercises?

Rope solo sport climbing  (Not top rope). What gear will i need? I kinda see why its a hard to answer question and why the internet anwers are so confusing.

I have watched and read countless posts on useing a grigri2 or gri gri for this. So I ordered one under the impression that this what it's for. Then, I find out self belay is not what the grigri is for. 

Then I was lost in the sea of gear that is great for rope solo lead climbing but no one should use because they'll die. For sure die X.X

I'll get there.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "So much gear. So many opinions."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started