Mountain Project Logo

International Air Travel W/ Epoxy?

Original Post
Christopher Beauchamp · · New Haven, CT · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 15

Curious if anyone has any experience traveling (flying Internationally) with epoxy, and more specifically if anyone has encountered any problems? Looking at the FAA Regulations it seems like if it's not labeled flammable it should be Ok.
Looking at the AC100 Datasheet I don't see it being described as flammable but...

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I flew 12 tubes of redhead a7 from Colorado to Bermuda with no issues. They were in my checked luggage, original packaging,and I had the receipt so I could pay duties on it. Nobody seemed to care at the airport.

Brian Smeets · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

I've also flown with Set-XP to Asia, the TSA opened my bag to check it though. I had it wrapped up in plastic to avoid leakage because of the air pressure. I thought it might violate the no strong oxidizer rule, but I'm no chemist. I guess they let it fly! Good luck out there, a lot of the rules are up to their judgement.

-Brian

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Christopher beauchamp wrote:Curious if anyone has any experience traveling (flying Internationally) with epoxy, and more specifically if anyone has encountered any problems? Looking at the FAA Regulations it seems like if it's not labeled flammable it should be Ok. Looking at the AC100 Datasheet I don't see it being described as flammable but...
Believe me it´s horribly complicated, I ship resins sometimes but nowadays try not to!
Part A of epoxies is non-hazardous but mostly part B comes under the hazardous goods regulations. For air freight it´s then a question of the packaging and the container size whether it gets categorised HM.. (the packaging and labelling requirements) of FFT (prohibited). A 50ml tube might get HM10 and a 10kg pack FFT.
For transport on passenger aircraft the authorities can be more stringent, depends if they check carefully or not.
Polyester/vinylester and epoxy-acrylate are definate no-no, epoxy you might get through but it´s up to the guy checking. We´ve had commercially packaged epoxy sent back before now which was going by a normal parcel service.
The hassle is many large international airports screen all baggage with neutron scanners for explosives and they will find resins straight away. Sent as freight it´s a bit easier as the checker can identify the product and let it continue, your normal bagggage guys just chuck it out.
Christopher Beauchamp · · New Haven, CT · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 15

FWIW- All went well, Don't know of it was a fluke but had no issues flying internationally out of JFK with several tubes of Hilti RE100 & 500 in checked luggage.

Francis Haden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 9

I've consistently flown Hilti RE 500 epoxy - a pure one at that - globally for years without any issues, into Australia, Thailand, Vietnam, China, United kingdom, Greece, to name a but a few countries. Typically up to 7 * 500ml foil packs a trip, wrapped up in dual layer bubble wrap and packed in checked luggage.

Not to say that makes it legit / without dramas etc but certainly to date no issues. On the flip side, it's one reason why I like Hilti's products because their global distribution (availability) is superb vs many other adhesives in use. Heavy dispenser granted but knowing you can fly into a country in most parts of the world and buy RE 500 is a great asset.

Sam Lightner, Jr. · · Lander, WY · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,732

I had three tubes of RE500 taken way on the way to Cuba this year.  No explanation. 

Sam Lightner, Jr. wrote:

I had three tubes of RE500 taken way on the way to Cuba this year.  No explanation. 

From your checked baggage Sam?

Sam Lightner, Jr. · · Lander, WY · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,732

From my checked baggage... yes.

Just returned from Bangkok with an open (but capped) tube of Hilti RE500 epoxy contained within the dispenser insert, inside my checked luggage. I went through my files and found an email between myself and Hilti in which they confirmed carriage of sealed resin packs inside checked luggage was acceptable, however, they are not an airline company or customs.

Perhaps split the packs up between different passengers and ideally someone travel ahead with it so others can bring back up packs if the initial set does n't make it through or is damaged. Assuming resin cannot be purchased locally of course.

cashmab · · Boston · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,923

I tried sending some RE-500 v3 to the DR last year in my wife's luggage when she went there for a visit but it got bounced by TSA, and I had 4 days to go retrieve it from the airport (BOS) before they were going to shitcan it. I'm trying to bring the same stuff down there with me tomorrow, we'll see if I have any luck... fingers crossed. This time, I'm putting it inside a clear rubbermade tub with the MSDS printed out laying on top of it. Let TSA figure out the IATA special provisions listed on the MSDS, because I can't make heads or tails of it.

cashmab · · Boston · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,923
cashmab wrote:

I tried sending some RE-500 v3 to the DR last year in my wife's luggage when she went there for a visit but it got bounced by TSA, and I had 4 days to go retrieve it from the airport (BOS) before they were going to shitcan it. I'm trying to bring the same stuff down there with me tomorrow, we'll see if I have any luck... fingers crossed. This time, I'm putting it inside a clear rubbermade tub with the MSDS printed out laying on top of it. Let TSA figure out the IATA special provisions listed on the MSDS, because I can't make heads or tails of it.

So TSA seized my RE-500 v3 again this time, and shitcanned it without option of retrieving from the airport, despite my printing the MSDS and IATA special provisions that the RE-500 v3 falls under which states that it can be transported by passenger airline in quantities of 5L or 5kg or less. I lost 14 330mL foil packs divided up among several bags. Bummer.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536

Epoxy hardeners are considered Dangerous Goods class 8 corrosive.  Most airlines won't allow you to bring it on board.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "International Air Travel W/ Epoxy?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started