Mountain Project Logo

84 mph winds in Summerlin Thursday!

Original Post
phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,097

Just read about the insane winds that hit Las Vegas on Thursday, including peak winds of 84 in Summerlin!  I'm just curious if anybody actually tried to climb that day, and what that was like. I climbed there last year on single pitch stuff in Willow Springs with winds gusting to 30. Right up against the cliff it was somewhat protected but out by the car it was intense. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I climbed that morning for an hour or so in the Willow Springs area at around 8 or 9 AM. Light breeze. On my way home from Vegas on the I-15, my windshield got sandblasted (winds were howling by then) and needs replacement. 

Ean Hendrickson · · San Diego · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 35

We were climbing epinephrine that day, it fucking sucked. Started early before the wind picked up, checked the weather that day and it said it was going to be windy, was not expecting it to be as bad as it was. Got to pitch three or four when the sandstorm started. Wind blew all my chalk out of my chalk bag, had to make a turban out of my shirt so I wasn't breathing in all the sand. Finished the chimney pitches and kept going on. Freaky climbing way up high during that cause I felt like I was about to get blown off the wall, had to time harder moves when it seemed like the wind was dying down. Then on pitch 7 or 8 it started to rain and snow. I somehow had service up there and checked the weather map and it said there was a huge rain storm coming, we then decided to bail. We only had one rope because we were planning on topping out and walking off, lucky there was one other party a pitch below us, so we linked up with them and rapped as a party of four. 

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,097

BigE123, that's insane!  What a great story!  You are way more adventurous that I am, I don't go up on things more than 2-3 pitches at RR when the winds are predicted more than 20 mph.

Sean H · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 120

Climbed in Front Corridor a while that day. Much more sheltered than elsewhere, but still would call it quite windy. Campground was a little bit Mad Max from Thunderdome when we got back around 3:30, many a destroyed tent. Was very grateful to be sleeping in my truck with a shell that night.

Jesse Jakomait · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 10

I was on Delicate Sound of Thunder when BigE123 was on Epin and the wind was going nuts.  I had to pin myself down on the wall and wait for a break in the wind to make another move otherwise I would have been tossed off the wall like a kite.  After me and my buddy got off that one we had enough and went home for the day.  Interesting about Saturday concerns.  We thought the forecast looked OK and climbed Drifting that day.  It was a bit breezy at times but I only took notice on the last pitch when the wind blew away my chalk.  Leading wasn't really an issue otherwise and from what I hear, Jetstream wall is more exposed than most.  To be fair, we drove 12 hours to be there and wanted to make the most of it!

F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 995

We were on Fiddler on the Roof and bailed from the top of P5 because the tag line was blowing sideways and tugging at the leader. We were hoping Black Velvet Wall would be more sheltered from the wind than elsewhere, but in reality it just funneled the gusts. The wind took the preexisting spice factor of that route and dumped ghost pepper salt all over it ... That night at the campground, I slept in my Civic and it was rocking from the gusts.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "84 mph winds in Summerlin Thursday!"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.