Mountain Project Logo

Excessive warning label

Original Post
Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

The need to cover your ass as a gear company is getting out of hand. I purchased a CAMP single locking biner and it came with a freaking booklet. Even bigger than the BD wrap around. Look at this thing, almost as thick as a supertopo book. For one biner!

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

Hmmm ... the one I got with my chalk bag is three times as big,

:-)

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Bill Lawry wrote:

Hmmm ... the one I got with my chalk bag is three times as big,

:-)

That's because chalk is a chemical Bill, ;)

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35
John Barritt wrote:

That's because chalk is a chemical Bill, ;)

So is aluminum.

Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

Ha! I just order 6 of the Nano carabiners. The books weigh more than they carabiners.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Yeah, but those biners are dead sexy.

Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85

It makes you wonder how much of your money is going to the product, and how how much is going to the lawyers and paper mills.  I wish we could just sign a waiver and reach into a bucket of biners.

Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 96

Book contents:

yada yada yada you're gonna die

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

They need to make sure you know climbing is dangerous in 75 different languages, obviously.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Yeah, this is really excessive of Camp. They seem to be the only ones that do this. Even the prior design booklet that came with my Nano 23's from a few years back was a bit much. This is now way overboard. I recently ordered a bunch of nano 22's and was really confused to receive a very heavy box only to find out each carabiner had one of these large manuals attached to it. There has to be a better way. This approach is not very environmentally responsible. It also increases shipping costs for a very light product. Since I don't see other climbing gear companies doing this, it can't be their lawyers saying this is necessary. Wouldn't it make more sense to ship one manual with mulitiple carabiners?

Use it for the campfire when you go on climbing trips.

Tedk · · elliottsburg pa · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

camp should do packages of biners like 5-10-15 with just 1 book, i also purchased like 20 biners last year and all had a book. what a waste

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Holy shit!  Can you post another angle of the warning book?  I can't see the other dimensions of size.

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

Im at work, so i cant get another picture (plus i recycled all the booklets). id say they are probably 3in x 3in

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

From the link above: 

EU regulations --> 22pages X 20 languages. Not allowed to be in a digital format. 

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
mpech wrote:

From the link above: 

EU regulations --> 22pages X 20 languages. Not allowed to be in a digital format. 

So why are they the only EU-based company doing this if it's the law? There are more than 50 gear manufacturers in the EU. I dont know of a single one beyond CAMP that supplies their customers with such massive manuals for their carabiners. Further, CAMP purchases in the USA typically run through their wholesaler, Liberty Mountain, which means few are buying directly from CAMP thus the EU laws dont matter as they dont apply here.

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
20 kN wrote:

So why are they the only EU-based company doing this if it's the law? There are more than 50 gear manufacturers in the EU. I dont know of a single one beyond CAMP that supplies their customers with such massive manuals for their carabiners. Further, CAMP purchases in the USA typically run through their wholesaler, Liberty Mountain, which means few are buying directly from CAMP thus the EU laws dont matter as they dont apply here.

Potentially they are the only EU climbing company that is actually following the letter of the law? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Excessive warning label"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started