Mountain Project Logo

Eldorado Canyon - West Ridge - Missing Trail Gear

Original Post
Mike McHugh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 420

I've been working with volunteers to rebuild parts of the West Ridge Trail. As part of that work, I left a block(pulley) like the one pictured and a sling girth hitched 25' up in a big Douglas Fir near the beginning of Vershneidung.

Sometime between last Thursday (3/23) and yesterday (3/30), that block and sling disappeared.

I can't afford much, but I can give you a cup a joe and a little swag for its return.

Thanks

Steve Sangdahl · · eldo sprngs, co · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 735

That's too bad Mike. I hope it finds its way home to ya! Cheers 

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

Mike, in case it does not return, what does it cost?  Maybe a handful of us could donate for a new one  

Steve Sangdahl · · eldo sprngs, co · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 735

Greg d, Excellent idea! I can contribute some $ for a replacement for Mike. Gotta keep him working ;) 

bearded sam · · Crested Butte, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 145

I'm with Greg! PM me and I'll square cash or google wallet

ErikaNW · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 410

I will also contribute to replacing the gear! We appreciate all of the hard work Mike (and his dedicated volunteers) put in to maintaining and improving the Eldo trails! Let me know how to send some $. 

Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 96

^^^ Ditto ^^^ Happy to kick in some $ 

D Snyder · · Golden, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 60

I'll help with replacement cost too, Mike. PM or post here how I can assist. If by some miracle the gear that was taken is returned I'd still kick into a fund for trail maintenance equipment. Cheers, and thanks for all you do for us!

Drew Spaulding · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 3,885

I'd be happy to pitch in also!! 

BUT, If it is returned,,, let's use it with a noose on the other end.....

Gregger Man · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Aug 2004 · Points: 1,769

ACE can coordinate a donation to Mike McHugh through the PayPal link if that makes it logistically easier. 

http://aceeldo.org/

The donate button is at the bottom right of the page. The PayPal page doesn't allow any additional notes, so you should also email ACE through the 'Contact Us' link after you donate so we will know your donation is for Mike's gear.

D Snyder · · Golden, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 60
Gregger Man wrote:

ACE can coordinate a donation to Mike McHugh through the PayPal link if that makes it logistically easier. 

http://aceeldo.org/

The donate button is at the bottom right of the page. The PayPal page doesn't allow any additional notes, so you should also email ACE through the 'Contact Us' link after you donate so we will know your donation is for Mike's gear.

Done. Thanks for coordinating this Gregger!

I'm hopeful that a community-minded climber or hiker was helping with some cleanup and snagged it or something like that. Let's give it some time for a positive outcome.

And thanks for saying nice things! Building with stone AND chatting with old and new climbing friends is about as rewarding as a trail day can get.

$25 just sent to get things started.  If the tool is returned, just using it for something else.

ErikaNW · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 410

Done! Thanks Greg! 

Mike - I included a note with my donation, if the gear happens to turn up and you don't need to replace it, please feel free to use my donation for a pint, burger, or whatever else you might wish to do with it!

Erika

Any luck Mike?

No luck with a return - but the Eldo climbing community rallied big time and pretty much covered the cost of a new block.

A couple of thoughts:

1) thank you thank you thank you

2) If somebody has time & effort to swipe a 20 pound steel snatch block & sling out of a tree, I'd be a little cautious about leaving stuff at the base of climbs.

A new 4" sheave snatch block has been ordered and will arrive posthaste. 

Thank you, generous climbers!

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Mike, you know it was a run of the mill idiot that stole that block, the same kind that steals unattended packs when left at the base of cliffs. Glad you got a new one! Now hide that stuff better if you want to leave it on the trails. 

Perhaps the tool order should include this:

Stich wrote:

Mike, you know it was a run of the mill idiot that stole that block, the same kind that steals unattended packs when left at the base of cliffs. Glad you got a new one! Now hide that stuff better if you want to leave it on the trails. 

Yeppers. I got spoiled working up at Rincon for the last few years; Apart from some ROMI breaking into a trail gear box and throwing gear down the talus field, there were no incidents.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Eldorado Canyon - West Ridge - Missing Trail Gear"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started