Mountain Project Logo

New Forum Code

Original Post
Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

Hi folks, I've migrated the forum to an all-new codebase.  It has pretty much all the features of the old one, with some new additions (Likes, wysiwyg editing, mobile-responsive).  There will undoubtedly be some bugs, especially in how older posts are rendered in the new system.  Please let me know.

Also, the Forum Notifications (when you follow a given topic) are broken right now but coming back soon.

Andrew Poet · · Central AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 161

I can't get multi-page topics to go to the next page.

Deadfish · · Bay Area, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 10
apoet wrote:

I can't get multi-page topics to go to the next page.

It's not just you, I can't make it work either.

Fixed, thanks.

Daniele Nicolodi · · Boulder, Co · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 5

The new interface is nice, but the new post listing is harder to read, maybe it is just me: I cannot decide if it is the bold font or the choice of blue on gray colors offering lower contrast. Also the indiocator for posts updated since the last visit is much more subtle now, I preferred the one before.

DR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 922

It would be nice to have a search function within an existing forum. For example once you have already clicked into for sale / wanted being able to search that specific forum for a topic would be great.

Nkane 1 · · East Bay, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 140

Psyched about the like button. Hopefully it will help bring the best advice to the fore in the beginners' forum.

Tedk · · elliottsburg pa · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

i like the new lay out, but the reading is alittle hard. is there a "skin" option ? to change colors to a user default? a few of the vbulliton forums im on they have a few skin options so you can switch colors of the page and text

Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140
Daniele Nicolodi wrote:

The new interface is nice, but the new post listing is harder to read, maybe it is just me: I cannot decide if it is the bold font or the choice of blue on gray colors offering lower contrast. Also the indiocator for posts updated since the last visit is much more subtle now, I preferred the one before.

+1^  I think it might be the bold font (too wide) and the additional vertical space between posts...  I have a really hard time reading the titles.

Ronald B · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Looks like lots of good stuff with the upgrade, and I'm very stoked about the like button. However, I think the look can use some tweaking to improve readability. On mobile it's fine, but on desktop it seems off (strangely wide margins on the sides, etc.).

David B · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 205

I dig it. My only complaint is that there should be some delimiter between posts. Either alternating white/gray backgrounds or a line.

Nick Votto · · CO, CT, IT · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 320

Lost all the Forums I was following, what's up with that?!

Daryl Allan · · Sierra Vista, AZ · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 1,040

Like:
- Addition of reply form at bottom of thread view page
- "Latest posts in all forums" link
- Restored ability to go to "Latest Posts In All Forums" list directly from "What's New in Favorites" page by using "Posts" link (had to go back two pages before, otherwise blank list was returned).

Meh:
- Member "Joined" and "Points" stats in threads
- Rounded portraits

Dislike:
- Discussion lists and What's New thread list layout (specifically low contrast, non-compact format)
- Combination of Thread Title and Forum category columns in thread lists
- Removal of Forum Category hyperlink in thread lists
- Removal of links to go directly to individual pages in multi-page threads
- Removal of thumbnail photo layout (What's New -> Photos) and ability to sort by most likes/stars

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
D B wrote:

I dig it. My only complaint is that there should be some delimiter between posts. Either alternating white/gray backgrounds or a line.

Um, there is. The white/grey zebra striping.

David B · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 205
Marc801 Chrusch wrote:

Um, there is. The white/grey zebra striping.

not for me

D B wrote:

not for me

I think maybe some of you have your screens misadjusted...

The row background colors alternate between #FFFFFF and #F2F2F2

Bugs:

1. Notifications only goes to the first post on the first page, not to the last post. Ideally it would go to "first unread by me" post.

2. I posted a reply, it shows in the Latest Posts, but when I go to that thread it's not there.

EDIT: It eventually appeared on my 3rd time accessing the thread.

3. The 2000 character limit would eliminate some highly informative posts and stories. Please increase it - by a lot.

Marc801 wrote:

Bugs:

1. Notifications only goes to the first post on the first page, not to the last post. Ideally it would go to "first unread by me" post.

2. I posted a reply, it shows in the Latest Posts, but when I go to that thread it's not there.

EDIT: It eventually appeared on my 3rd time accessing the thread.

3. The 2000 character limit would eliminate some highly informative posts and stories. Please increase it - by a lot.

Fixed the first two and increased the limit 500%.  I'll keep an eye out if that's causing problems at that size.

Emmett Lyman · · Stoneham, MA (Boston burbs) · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480

Looks nice Nick. Must be a ton of work.

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422

I'm all for responsive, but you really need to dial back the font size - I'm having to scale the page back to 80% to make the main forum page usable.

Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391

Thanks for the update.  As far as formatting (Windows 10 using MS Edge), fonts and spacing look modern.

Quibbles:

1, On individual posts, there is too much wasted space in the poster's identification "box."  I'd rather see that space below rather than to the right of the avatar.

2, "What's new," I liked the new-since-your-last-visit indicator.

As far as functionality, haven't noticed any bugs.  Thanks for the hard work!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountain Project News
Post a Reply to "New Forum Code"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.