Mountain Project Logo

RIP John Strand

Original Post
Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Fort Collins, CO / Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

Just read in the White Mountain Report for this weekend that John Strand passed away on Wednesday. He was a New England climber who'd moved on to greener (or at least drier) pastures in Colorado for many years, and a regular poster here. Let's hope he's on a celestial porta-ledge with Royal Robbins.

SuperTopo thread: http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2962436/John-Strand-RIP

Joseph Anderson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 85

Wow. I had the pleasure of knowing John and being in his company for several years. Put up some routes with him, listened to his incredible stories over beers, of historical climbers and routes he had done and people he knew. John was a great guy, very sad to hear this. RIP John.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

I've only met him here, but I would count him among my friends. My condolences to all. I'm sure he will be missed.

Helen

ErikaNW · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 410

Oh I am so sad to hear this. John was a character - we always talked about climbing some easy slab routes together, something his joints could manage, but we never got around to it. I'll really miss running into him and Rose. They contributed some amazing dinners for the rebolting events in Penitente - and John always had me laughing with his stories. Does anyone know if there will be a memorial service? I'd like to pay my respects if possible. 

Mark NH · · 03053 · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

I'd just spoken to John the other day. We were supposed to get together next week while I'm in Colorado. Drink beers, bullshit and talk climbing. I actually received a text from his wife this morning. I was stunned. Absolutely a great guy and one badass climber.

If I find anything out in regards to a memorial I will be sure to publicly post.

RIP John. 

Nick Grant · · Tamworth, NH · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 424

John was one of the greatest guys I've known.  He was incredibly funny, a terrific storyteller, a legit adventurer, as smart as anyone I've met, and the kind of guy who would do anything for a friend.  He was an exceptionally loyal and (despite the sometimes rough exterior) caring person.

A good deal of the fun that I had in the 80's was because of John.  His antics were legendary and were only exceeded by his friendship.   The Strand/Callaghan climbing partnership was as close to the Brown/Whillans phenomenon that the NorthEast has seen.  True hardmen—hard climbing, hard drinking, hard swearing, but always accompanied by madcap hilarity.

I'm really going to miss John.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

Very sorry to hear this. Another living legend has passed. Younger MP users should realize when us old AF dads try and teach you something it is because we want to share our experience before it is too late. 

Rest in Peace my friend. May you be pulling down on the routes you love forever more.

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616
King Tut wrote:

Younger MP users should realize when us old AF dads try and teach you something it is because we want to share our experience before it is too late. 

Many of us are listening, even if we're only nodding our heads quietly at a computer screen.  :)

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960

What a legend and a nice man, my condolences to his friends and family... I never met him personally but he was always willing to share beta on new areas / projects in New England.

Very shocking to think we were corresponding on here on Wed afternoon... really hits home.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

Thats too bad. He was one of the few people here that I agreed with about 100% of the time.

Dash rip rock · · Keene NH · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 10

John was awesome, the icon of bold climbing and hilarious adventure. When I entered the climbing community in the early 80's John was legendary. I met John while learning to climb @ the Quincy Quaries, John would solo routes that I was scared to top rope... I asked him what he did for work and his response was, "I don't work, I have a position"! John sold me my first climbing rope, it was well used... I was honored the day John invited me to climb the Thesher on Cathedral ledge with Steve Weeks. This route was his  expertise...marginally protected 5.9 slab...We had a great afternoon. A few years ago I was saddened to hear of his heart condition and his prognosis. His encyclopedic knowledge of New England routes has benefited MP, and we can all take a lesson from john's approach to life.  

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960

Was flipping through a CT book and came across two of his routes... the details of which speak volumes...

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Morgan Patterson wrote:

Was flipping through a CT book and came across two of his routes... the details of which speak volumes...

I'm surprised John was able to squeeze a line or two in between the piss marks here in CT.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Memorial
Post a Reply to "RIP John Strand"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started