Mountain Project Logo

Cliff Cabana Rain Fly question

Original Post
Eric Malone · · Durango, CO · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 0

Anyone out there have experience with the Cliff Cabana rainfly and pole.

I just got one and in test deployments I am finding that the pole is either too short or the pockets that hold the pole are too far away to allow the pole to actually hold the fly off of the leveling straps. The pole is actually interior to the leveling straps. Something seems amiss...or I am just gaping.

BD says the pole is the specified length - I think the pockets might be misplaced - they are approximately 4 inches from the corner. Anyone have any experience with theirs to comment?

Thanks!

Eric

Kip Kasper · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 200

Yeah that ledge is kinda shit all around. I've got a CC double. The pole in mine is too long, found I have to put the pole in with an s shape to get it to fit. QC must just really suck or something. Moving around is how it goes.

With less than a month worth of nights on the ledge the bed tensioner straps are fraying and the shitty plastic buckles flex enough to make me think twice about tightening them very much at all. Not to mention the ledge is huge and weighs 30 lbs.

The bungee has broken on both main bars, easy fix, but still. The spreader bar is total shit and pops off all the time. If I ever start aiding seriously again I'll probably pick up one of the new D4 ledges, no spreader bar and less crummy design pitfalls, oh, and less than half the weight in a reasonably sized package.. My suggestion would be to sell that outdated crummy design to another sucker before you trash it climbing one wall and get a D4. Look up the supertopo thread for more information. If you consider the longevity (or lack thereof) the more expensive setup will most likely save you money in the long run.

Sam England · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 410

I used a simple fly where the pole was way too long and we never really were able to make it work. We ended up upgrading to the Cliff Cabana and the pole worked just fine.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Cliff Cabana Rain Fly question"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started