Mountain Project Logo

Moab in the BUSY season

Original Post
Sean Peter · · IL · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 105

We're heading out there for our first time- just to help make it busier we're bringing two kids along - and turns out we're going during the Jeep Safari week whatever that may entail.

I've read through many of the recent posts on camping- but wondering a few things still:

- How competitive is it to find a 2wd accessible BLM site during what I read is the busiest week out there? We're getting there on a Thur afternoon- but planned on staying at the hostel Thur night, then finding a spot fri am (4/7). Should we suck it up and make a reservation at one of the private RV oriented places just to be safe? Or can you always find something if you're willing to drive around for a good while? We'd probably be best at a place with pit toilets- not sure if the kids are up for a week of Restops...

- Where are the best campgrounds to bring lots of good beer and just give it away to people that climb?

Pop J · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 30

Had good luck with the up the creek campground in Moab the last time we were there during Jeep week. I was able to get reservations there for the 9th of April, just about a week ago.

Edit: beer gladly accepted!

moabupthecreek.com/camptour…

Matt Pierce · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 312

Oh geez is the Jeep safari the weekend of 4/7? Grrrr - good thing we are heading straight through to the creek...

I'll be honest with you here and I'm not exaggerating - you're screwed

I've been going to Moab regularly for 15+ years and every year it's worse - used to be you could grab a crappy camp spot along 128 or up in Sand Flats rec area but not any more. Especially during the Jeep safari. All hotels should be completely sold out - Sand Flats and 128 spots will be GONE. Especially with the surrounding desert landscape and cryptobiotic soil concerns etc - you can't just pick a spot and call it good. With kids and a large footprint - not a lot of good areas to just plop down. Kane Creek and other creative areas will be gone as well. You won't find a spot in Arches either.

You MIGHT get something up at Warner Lake?

There are some places quite a ways outside of Moab proper but no ones going to tell you about them - sorry :(

I DO hope you guys have fun but do not just show up expecting to find something - it's a fucking shit show during Jeep Safari...

other · · San Diego, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 15

Try camping miles out of town or call lazy lizard hostel moab which may have beds open

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Sean Peter wrote:...and turns out we're going during the Jeep Safari week whatever that may entail.
About 2000 register for the event, and up to an additional 10K show up to watch. Expect bumper to bumper traffic in Moab, including from I-70 to Moab, hour plus waits for tables in totally jammed restaruants, no hotel rooms or local campsites available, etc.
Basically it's a real shit show.
Can you reschedule your trip? I would.
john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

Go to the San Rafael Swell

Ryan Arnold · · SLC · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 751

I'd also reschedule or go somewhere else. We accidently went on Jeep Safari week not knowing it was going on .... absolute madhouse. Four star climbs get demoted to 2 stars if you have to wait in long lines and deal with a thousand other people.

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3
john strand wrote:Go to the San Rafael Swell
This. Or reschedule if you can. As others have said, it's absolute madness in Moab that week. Also, from about 9:00 into early afternoon, the line to get into Arches often backs up onto the highway. Put another way: it can be a mile long or more.

Thanks everyone!
Unfortunately we're locked in to the kids spring break timeframe. We did get a spot at Up The Creek at least. Kinda more interested in Canyonlands than Arches- so don't know if that will help (or hurt). That's wild that so many people wanna watch other people drive a Jeep! Perhaps it will wind up being a "cultural fascination" vacation rather than a "wonder at nature" one... If I can at least get on one boulder and just SEE some cracks at Indian Creek I'll be happy :)

Sean Peter wrote:That's wild that so many people wanna watch other people drive a Jeep!
It's not that - it's watching specific challenges/obstacles. And the crashes, just like the main draw at NASCAR. A lot of the jeeps are heavily modified, some to the point of not being street legal and have to be flatbedded to Moab.

Potato Salad Hill was once very popular as was Lion's Back (the latter now off limits)

youtube.com/watch?v=E_JutPo…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzPSp9T7ObE

(some mtn bike crashes as well)
youtube.com/watch?v=sJ51DET…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf-qADIhe_k
NRobl · · Hyrum, UT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 1

How crowded is Indian Creek during the jeep safari week (that sounds ridiculous with all the rhymes)? I'm heading down there April 14-16 and just wondering if the jeep safari spills over into the creek at all.

WOW- thanks for posting that Marc! I had no idea that's what it was all about. I guess I just pictured a bunch of Jeeps driving around on "safari" :) Yeah, if someone were driving down something like the Lions Back I'd definitely have to stop and watch too!

Are the Jeeps pretty much everywhere- or are there probably plenty of good hikes in Canyonlands that will be a bit removed from all that....
Or would now be a better time to start thinking of Zion and Bryce ;) ??

(Side note- is Zion and Bryce far colder this time of year than Moab??)

Sean Peter wrote:WOW- thanks for posting that Marc! I had no idea that's what it was all about. I guess I just pictured a bunch of Jeeps driving around on "safari" :) Yeah, if someone were driving down something like the Lions Back I'd definitely have to stop and watch too! Are the Jeeps pretty much everywhere- or are there probably plenty of good hikes in Canyonlands that will be a bit removed from all that.... Or would now be a better time to start thinking of Zion and Bryce ;) ?? (Side note- is Zion and Bryce far colder this time of year than Moab??)
Canyonlands is a national park - so more highly regulated. Those videos are from areas around Moab like Sand Flats etc. If you are looking for a nice drive I will help you out - just about 2 miles north of Moab - toward Arches - turn left onto Potash Road. This will take you by Wall Street (climbing) - if you follow this you can actually drive all the way into Canyonlands and up the uber cool Shafer Canyon Road. You pass under Dead Horse Point state park and the spot where the famous scene in Thelma and Louis was shot. You can also drive it the other way - from Canyonlands back to Moab...

Also - if you want to visit the creek AND Canyonlands go to the south end of Canyonlands - which goes through the creek. Really nice trails in that part of the park although parking is usually really bad due to the small parking lots (never understood why they don't change this) - you can drive past Newspaper Rock, and right through the creek etc. Very remote out there and NO supplies so have gas and plenty of food/water...

Sean Peter wrote:Are the Jeeps pretty much everywhere- or are there probably plenty of good hikes in Canyonlands that will be a bit removed from all that.... Or would now be a better time to start thinking of Zion and Bryce ;) ?? (Side note- is Zion and Bryce far colder this time of year than Moab??)
Overall the entire area is crowded, but hikes in Canyonlands or Arches will be fine. The organized jeep trail rides are mostly on BLM and NFS lands, with only one - Elephant Hill - in the National Parks - Needles District of Canyonlands specifically. (PS: you pass through Indian Creek on the way to the Needles).

Here's a list of the trails used (each with a link to a detailed description):
rr4w.com/trails.cfm
BTW, regarding those difficulty ratings, stock Jeeps can handle up to a 4 or 5 - beyond that, mods are generally required - lifted, larger tires, locking differentials, swaybar disconnects, winches, etc.

At this time of year, Zion will be as warm or warmer than Moab, but still more than reasonable. It's about a 5 hr drive from Moab to Zion NP. Bryce will still be cool since the rim is at ~9300'.
Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

Glad I stumbled on this thread. I was thinking about heading to Moab that same weekend. Think I'll stay home and go another time...

I have had reasonably good success finding camping sites in Canyonlands, even when it's busy, but maybe not THAT busy.

Remember that the EJS is a 9 day event that goes until April 16.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Moab in the BUSY season"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started