Mountain Project Logo

Temps/weather? Kalymnos mid-april to mid-may

Original Post
Parker Kempf · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210

Hello all!
My wife and I are planing a kalymnos honeymoon for a month, mid april to mid may.

Anybody have personal experience with temps and weather this time of year? I've learned the hard way not to trust MP average temps and rainfall....Is it mega windy? What do you usually wear for layers for evenings/night? Morning?

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

Mid April-mid-May will be hot--probably too hot--in the sun, fine in the shade, especially in the latter half of that period. This isn't really a big problem--as long as you are willing to get up and going early in the morning. Many of the best crags are in the shade until early afternoon--some later and a few for the entire day. While some crags do get pretty much all day sun and are likely to be 'off limits' during this period (unless you get a rare cloudy day)you will still have more than enough to chose from. My visits have been in October, so pretty similar in terms of sunlight and temps. We'd get up at dawn, have a quick breakfast in the room, then head to the crag. By the time the sun came around we'd have a good tally of routes and be ready to wander back to town to rehydrate, relax, siesta, swim, etc. before gathering with the others in our lodging for drinks and watching the sunset before heading out (or in) for dinner--idyllic!!! It rarely rains at that time of year--and when it does not for long. Most evenings a pile jacket was sufficient, though a light down or polarguard jacket might be worth bringing along. While some days were windy I don't recall it ever presenting a problem. Have a great trip--I'm jealous!!!

Vero · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 5

Hi,
We've been in kalymnos beginning of may 2015 after we spent a week in Leonidio, a quite new Greek climbing spot on the Peleponnes.

It was warm, yes. But climbing in the shade was always possible. And it wasn't windy at all.

Dom Caron · · Welsford, New Brunswick Canada · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 1,370

I've been there in that specified time of year.
Climb in the shade until 3-4 and then go to the beach. What else could you ask for?

There's a bunch of crags that stay in the shade until later. Have fun. I'm jealous!

Lisa Haze · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 35

I agree with the first post. Also. Get the guide book by Ari's theodoropoulos. It lists all the shade times and best times of year to climb certain area. It's amazing

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Temps/weather? Kalymnos mid-april to mid-may"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started