Mountain Project Logo

RRR conditions

Original Post
Fernando Cal · · SLC, UT · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 25

So travel plans forced me to schedule my RR trip at the same time as the RRR. Never been to the RRR. How crowded and what areas are affected by the attendees? Am i better off aiming for those obscure longer approach routes to get away from the madness?

Also, how's parking?

Fernando Cal · · SLC, UT · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 25
cvent.com/events/red-rock-r…

answered my own question
Bob M · · Alpharetta, GA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 50

Similar issue for me. Work has me in Las Vegas 3/19 - 3/22, and we were planning to climb Thursday - Saturday. Seem like RRR won't be an issue with our plans, but now the weather looks sketchy Wednesday. Do you local folks think this rain is enough to go to plan B?

enkoopa · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0

I realize this subforum has a sticky, which includes a thread on where to climb when it rains... since this one is active for the week, is there anything local for non-sandstone multi-pitch in the moderates 5.9 or below?

Kind of bummed about the weather forecast.. 3rd trip to RR and couldn't believe this morning when I checked the forecast. We fly in tomorrow and have until Monday night... RRR, loop construction, and now rain?! Damn!

Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415

Lime Kiln is a great choice for multi pitch climbing near RR. BUT I hear the road is closed to get there.

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 327
enkoopa wrote:I realize this subforum has a sticky, which includes a thread on where to climb when it rains... since this one is active for the week, is there anything local for non-sandstone multi-pitch in the moderates 5.9 or below? Kind of bummed about the weather forecast.. 3rd trip to RR and couldn't believe this morning when I checked the forecast. We fly in tomorrow and have until Monday night... RRR, loop construction, and now rain?! Damn!
Don't be too discouraged . As long as the rain isn't a torrential downpour the weekend climbing potential is still solid. The loop road is a nightmare up to sandstone quarry for sure. I've just had to bail on this or that recently just because literally the parking space was non existent , but if your aim is like the longer trade routes back in he canyons you shouldnt have any more trouble than normal as far as just having to get up early.

I will say it's one of the better times to climb in the first pullout because people just aren't into the extra effort it take to get there now either parking closer to he second pullout / sandstone and walking back or I met a couple at the other day that had parked at the visitor center and walked to the first pullout
phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,097

There are plenty of nice routes in First Creek Canyon and Black Velvet Canyon, as well as on Windy Peak, where you don't have to go on the loop road.

Bob M · · Alpharetta, GA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 50

Thanks for the info guys. Didn't know about the construction, but assuming we're up at the crack of dawn, I assume we could get through to the canyons. Still a bit conflicted if we should just bail to JTree, but we'll figure it out.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18,797

If you don't enjoy socializing and crowds avoid going to RR during the RRR. The Rendezvous staff does a great job of delineating the locations and crags used for the Rendezvous if you check out the site.

Andrew Boissonnault · · Lexington, KY · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 0

I'm heading to Lime Kiln this weekend, if anyone wants to join let me know.

Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415
Andrew Boissonnault wrote:I'm heading to Lime Kiln this weekend, if anyone wants to join let me know.
Can you please update the road /detour conditions for Lime Kiln after you go? I am planning a trip there in a few weekends and want to make sure we can actually get there! Thanks in advance.
Aaron Glasenapp · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 2,525

I'm also coming to RR this weekend (Thursday-Monday), and concerned about the rain, and also considering Lime Kiln. I second the request to keep this thread updated with A). How much it rains on Wednesday ( wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getob… might be helpful), and B). Access to Lime Kiln. It seems like the following (from a forum on Lime Kiln) is the most up to date info about Lime Kiln access:

misty murphy wrote:My original post was incorrect information via the City of Mesquite. The road is closed from Mesquite AND Scenic. So far they are allowing people to drive around the Road Closed signs on the weekends. Weekdays they will probably turn you around. Plan accordingly and please do not make a bad impression for our user group. Thanks, Misty
Camron · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

Does anyone have an update on how hard it rained today and whether you think it will dry up by Friday or Saturday? I was hoping to climb in the Willow Springs area.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Camron wrote:Does anyone have an update on how hard it rained today and whether you think it will dry up by Friday or Saturday? I was hoping to climb in the Willow Springs area.
hasn't rained yet...supposed to be tonight around 6pm
Aaron Glasenapp · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 2,525

Just arrived in Vegas and looking at various weather sites, it appears that RR did not get any rain today (Wednesday) and there's a 30% chance of rain tomorrow morning. Seeking advice from a local: Would it be unwise to climb at RR tomorrow?

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270

Out of curiosity, what do the RRR coordinators do in the event that it rains?

Andrew Boissonnault · · Lexington, KY · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 0

Sprained my ankle so won't be making it up to Lime Kiln this weekend. Sorry I can't report on the road conditions!

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270
John Wilder wrote: They contract with one of the local gyms and bring the event inside. It's only happened once in the history of the event...
sounds kind of hilarious, in a dark comedy kind of way
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "RRR conditions"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.