Mountain Project Logo

Expert customer service from Backcountry.com

Original Post
Wade · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 10

Just wanted to give a big thanks to Dan at Backcountry.com for his amazing customer service after a simple online order.

I just ordered a rope from backcountry.com and within a few minutes I received a very pleasant call from Dan who reached out. I never have received this kind follow up from a simple online order. So thank you, Dan, for being a wonderful human and recognizing me as another human sharing this earth together.

Great job Backcountry.com. Keep up the great work!!

BigNobody · · all over, mostly Utah · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 10

Buy local. Down with E-commerce.

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214

what about if you live in Utah? Backcountry would be local then...

I do live in Utah, I refuse to shop there. IME gets my money first. Followed by BD. I like brick and mortar. I like trying things on before committing to the carbon foot print of shipping back and forth. Yeah, your cheap gear online comes at a price. Hurting local business and creating a bigger foot print. That jet fuel ain't cheap. Don't worry I levitate to IME.

jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10
mstolorena wrote:what about if you live in Utah? Backcountry would be local then...
You arent supposed to buy local in Utah because then you are supporting Chaffetz and his goonies.
jason.cre wrote: You arent supposed to buy local in Utah because then you are supporting Chaffetz and his goonies.
Can I slap you now? Or later? Your call.
Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
BigNobody wrote:Buy local. Down with E-commerce.
The 15% discount for AAC members is pretty nice though.
Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
BigNobody wrote:Followed by BD..
Forgive me if I don't know the latest, but HUH? That's like saying you ski Vail because it's a local's mountain. It's a publically owned and traded Wall Street Company. Both are controlled by big players, but I think BC.com is still private. What makes BD better?
Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Parker Wrozek wrote: The 15% discount for AAC members is pretty nice though.
Wait, say that again? 15% off everything?
Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
John Wilder wrote: I agree that Backcountry is great, but supporting your local shop should be a high priority because they depend on you for their livelihood and they are, more often than not, a local community hub. If you don't shop there, they may not always be there.
Very true. I think we forget that a lot of people live in places that don't have a local shop other than what is sold at the climbing gym and REI. I do shop a lot at wilderness Exchange here in Denver.
Sdm1568 · · Ca · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 80

Post starts out..... Dan and Backcountry are awesome!
Post ends...... Online sucks, carbon footprints, yer gonna die!!

Did I miss anything?

Climb Germany · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,505

To continue in the spiriting of all the whining, I hope that rope was vegan, organic and locally grown not to mention fair trade.

Sam Thompson · · Missoula, Montana · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 95
business.edf.org/blog/2013/…

alumni.stanford.edu/get/pag…

In response to the carbon footprint argument ...
Dan CO · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 60

From wikipedia...

"Backcountry.com was founded in 1996 with a $2,000 out-of-pocket investment by lifetime friends Jim Holland and John Bresee. The two started the online business with a sparse collection of avalanche gear and began selling gear from their garage in Park City, Utah under the domain names BCstore.com and BackcountryStore.com.[1] The store's first sale, a Pieps 457 Opti-finder avalanche beacon, happened in February 1997.[2] The company purchased the domain name backcountry.com for $75,000 in 2004"

So.. at what point does a local business become so successful that you stop supporting them? Support retailers who treat you well, and the best of them will rise to the top, don't hate on them when that happens.

Sandbagger Vance · · Cincinnati, Ohio · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0
BigNobody wrote:I do live in Utah, I refuse to shop there. IME gets my money first. Followed by BD. I like brick and mortar. I like trying things on before committing to the carbon foot print of shipping back and forth. Yeah, your cheap gear online comes at a price. Hurting local business and creating a bigger foot print. That jet fuel ain't cheap. Don't worry I levitate to IME.
Honestly the carbon footprint of one package in a USPS truck is going to be negligible compared to the carbon footprint of you driving to a brick and mortar store and trying something on in an air conditioned room.

This is the same type of neo-luddite attitude that people use to buy hemp over recyclable plastics. It's ignorant. The supply chains society has in place are only going to get leaner. Just don't throw your electronics in the trash.

I do not live in an area that has a climbing store. It is either REI, which is 50 minutes away, or Backcountry/Amazon/EMS. REI's selection is generally not great and overpriced. I also travel during the week, so when I get home, I want my gear to be there vs wasting time driving to store, finding what I want, checking out, driving back home. More time climbing or cycling, less time shopping.

A few factors dependent, retail is hugely less efficient than e-commerce.

Want to help the environment? Either walk/ride bike to the store or make purposeful consolidated orders online.

Sam Thompson wrote:http://business.edf.org/blog/2013/12/21/is-online-shopping-better-for-the-environment/ alumni.stanford.edu/get/pag… In response to the carbon footprint argument ...
Darn, Sam beat me to it and I did not refresh page...
diepj · · PDX · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

Another vote for Backcountry... Great customer service.

Been shopping there since the early days of Steep & Cheap and the great emails from Rocky to kick start your morning.

Jeremy K · · Evergreen, CO · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0

+1 for Backcountry. Great selection, fast shipping, great service.

La MoMoface · · Arvada, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 60
diepj wrote:Another vote for Backcountry... Great customer service. Been shopping there since the early days of Steep & Cheap and the great emails from Rocky to kick start your morning.
I remember staying up until 2 am just to see what the new deal of the day was.
Boissal . · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,541
BigNobody wrote:I do live in Utah, I refuse to shop there. IME gets my money first. Followed by BD. I like brick and mortar. I like trying things on before committing to the carbon foot print of shipping back and forth. Yeah, your cheap gear online comes at a price. Hurting local business and creating a bigger foot print. That jet fuel ain't cheap. Don't worry I levitate to IME.
You can drive to the bc.com brick and mortar store in West Valley, try 50 different items on, and buy your stuff there. I get your IME point but BD? Don't they have an online store and ship stuff out? Try not to drown in your hypocrisy...
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Expert customer service from Backcountry.com"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started