Mountain Project Logo

What do you think is the best climbing helmet for summer season? Specifically for beginners

Original Post
Chingyu Lei · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hi, im Tony, an international student from Taiwan studying design in Pasadena California, I have never climbed, although im interested in doing it someday after the education. Now i am doing a helmet project for beginners specifically for summer season climbing activities, I need some help.

I want my helmet be protective, reliable, affordable, however, many companies have done that already, and it is the basic elements that a helmet should have nowadays.
So, as a beginner, what do you expect your first helmet? Looks cool? price point? any key function or some functions that you want but it s hard to find? Bluetooth? speaker? Connection with smartphone? Sun louver? plz, I need some ideas and thoughts from you, feel free to email me : tony77065@yahoo.com.tw

Really really appreciate it! Have a good one :)

sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60

Protective but not bulky, doesn't make my head look weirdly shaped- doesn't make my head look too big or too small, maybe a ponytail cutout..... doesn't make me look like I'm trying too hard to be cool (no crazy graphics, subtle branding), but not completely lego helmet bland either. Foam bits don't fall apart into my hair, mid-priced. Not too hot feeling in the summer, lightweight. Somewhat adjustable for my head.

Unfortunately for you but fortunately for me, Petzl has already created my perfect helmet- the Elia. I don't know what I would do to improve it, maybe extend some protection at the back of my head and sides, for that potential side/back impact. I definitely do not listen to music while climbing - need to hear my partner. And I would not climb with someone who was connected to their phone via their helmet while belaying/climbing me - they would be distracted.

Ronald B · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Maybe a helmet that is double certified for bicycling and climbing?

Thank you so much Ana ! I will definitely take your suggestion into consideration :) How am I able to reply to someone ??? the website is still new to me

Greg Maschi · · Phoenix ,Az · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 0

A built in headlamp or attachment point for a headlamp that doesn't require a strap.

Got it Greg! this is easy, im already working on it :)

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

If you are really a beginner, you are going to care about the price point and durability. Climbing gear is expensive, and all the extra bells and whistles cost money. A basic helmet that fits, does not look dorky, and is reasonably priced will do great.

As an aside, when I was getting a helmet for my daughter, I specifically chose the one woman's model with a harness that was high in the back to accommodate a pony tail. So if you have customer friendly adds that are not expensive, that is great.

Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35
Ronald Beimel wrote:Maybe a helmet that is double certified for bicycling and climbing?
DO NOT DO THIS. The cycling helmets are are designed to have MANY MANY holes in the top to help with keeping you cool, see the photo below. The likely hood of it protecting you from something smaller is not very good.

Honestly you are probably better off with something similar to the Black Diamond Half Dome. Its a very affordable helmet.

What I look for in a helmet is low weight, adjust-ability, and the ability to hold a headlamp. All the extra stuff you mentioned are just going to distract you, especially if you are a newer climber.
Cassa Lou · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

The Petzl Elia is very comfortable and is available for a reasonable price. This helmet is marketed to the ladies (it is the "female version" of a "men's helmet"). It has the space for a ponytail which makes it more comfortable for girls or guys with long hair! It was my first helmet and it'll probably be the helmet I continue to purchase!

RockinOut · · NY, NY · Joined May 2010 · Points: 100
Daniel T wrote: DO NOT DO THIS. The cycling helmets are are designed to have MANY MANY holes in the top to help with keeping you cool, see the photo below. The likely hood of it protecting you from something smaller is not very good. Honestly you are probably better off with something similar to the Black Diamond Half Dome. Its a very affordable helmet. What I look for in a helmet is low weight, adjust-ability, and the ability to hold a headlamp. All the extra stuff you mentioned are just going to distract you, especially if you are a newer climber.
There are multi-sport helmets out on the market....just not the one you decided to share.

Did you read the OP? He's NOT looking to buy a helmet...he is designing a helmet for a project. So if he wants to design a helmet for cycling and climbing thats fine.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "What do you think is the best climbing helmet f…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started