Mountain Project Logo

Haul bag possibilities?

Original Post
Mark Ashcroft · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 10

Are any of these proposed hauling systems good/ or dangerous?

-Mark
Moof · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 25

What are you hauling? How are you holding the load when you reset each stroke?

Go to the bigwalls section and look at Mark Hudon's 2:1 ratchet. It should be all you ever need. 3:1 can be done for rescus purposes, but I have yet to need one in almost 20 years of climbing, and a dozen or so walls.

Hudon Hauler

Future planning for bigwalls, currently building solo belay system and would like to have dual purpose& strength to haul.

My idea here is that the Petzl Rescucender/Rollclip will be the progression capture device, and the Handled Ascender will be where I pull & add a foot ladder.

This photo is on the Rescucender manual.

The additional pulley I added to their system would be to increase efficiency as pulling down is easiest & can incorporate the whole body.

I'm trying to go with this Rescucender because it is designed without sharp teeth :-D

I think my proposed system(1) would bring the Rescucender up into the pulley's and get all kinds of jammed. Compared to Hudon's 2:1, I wouldn't have the means to reset the system like the second short rope he's using.

Sdm1568 · · Ca · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 80
Mark Ashcroft wrote:Future planning for bigwalls, currently building solo belay system and would like to have dual purpose& strength to haul. My idea here is that the Petzl Rescucender/Rollclip will be the progression capture device, and the Handled Ascender will be where I pull & add a foot ladder. This photo is on the Rescucender manual. The additional pulley I added to their system would be to increase efficiency as pulling down is easiest & can incorporate the whole body. I'm trying to go with this Rescucender because it is designed without sharp teeth :-D I think my proposed system(1) would bring the Rescucender up into the pulley's and get all kinds of jammed. Compared to Hudon's 2:1, I wouldn't have the means to reset the system like the second short rope he's using.
For Hauling if you just release tension on the rope, the weight of the rescucender or say a non spring loaded Gibbs ascender (with the roller carabiner) may just slide down the rope to effectively grab a new bight then you can resume hauling.
Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

As was mentioned above, this subject has been discussed ad nauseam in the Big Wall/Aid section of the forum. The general conclusion is that Mark Hudon's 2:1 system is the best. Though he didn't invent it, he's a big advocate of it and has worked the kinks out so that it's easy to setup and use. I used it on The Nose last year and it was perfect.

Thank you for getting me onto his forum, I learned a lot about different systems, and will be planning a test haul for my alternative system and see what the Rescucender does! But in the end I will also be picking up the micro Traxion plus the two lightweight pulleys, and build a 2:1 like Mark Hudon's with my one heavy piece being the Rescucender. :-) I'll follow up in the future with my findings!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Haul bag possibilities?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started