Mountain Project Logo

Human shit at Thunder Ridge

Original Post
Todd Bruns · · Golden , Colorado · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

My wife stepped in fresh human shit at thunder ridge Sunday with TP right next to it. I really can't believe this still happens. Wtf is wrong with some people.

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665
Todd Bruns wrote:My wife stepped in fresh human shit at thunder ridge Sunday with TP right next to it. I really can't believe this still happens. Wtf is wrong with some people.
I wonder if the people who left their USED wag bag there ran out of wag bags?
Yeah... PACK IT OUT (or at least bury it 200'+ from human traffic).
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I share your disgust, but the people that do that don't care about these posts.

Yeah I agree. And it's so easy to bury there due to the burn making the top soil really loose. Aghhhh so infuriating. I would expect this somewhere like clear creek but not there. Oy

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

It's a cross between lack of education, stupidity and stupidity. Oh an a dose of not giving a fuck.

It's sad and common. What a day spoiler.

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,945

not potentially a hiker?

No definitely a climber. We passed a group of 2 on our approach. Should have yelled at them but didn't have the energy.

I'd just feel wrong crapping on a trail, and would be looking for a hole or a rock to cover it and or myself!

Ray Lovestead · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 108

I had the pleasure of standing next to a pile of crap at the third belay on the Bastille crack (on 3/17). You are 1 pitch from the top of (arguably) the single most popular route in all of Colorado. And you drop a deuce.

I was not impressed.

Scott McMahon wrote:It's a cross between lack of education, stupidity and stupidity. Oh an a dose of not giving a fuck. It's sad and common. What a day spoiler.
You forgot selfishness/inconsideration.
Matthew Windchime · · denver · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

I see posts like this so often I almost suspect there is a cabal of rogue scat fetishists climbing all over the front range leaving unwelcome gifts for the rest of us.

Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 15,153

It's sad. Having noticed an increase of shit like this in the past few years at local crags I'm generally curious how/if we can solve this issue? Are the climbers truly ignorant of how to handle their shit in the outdoors or do they know better and just being selfish/inconsiderate? Or a bit of both?

From a recent visit to a local crag, El Rito:

Nice try? Used WagBag left behind.

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926
Jason Halladay wrote: do they know better and just being selfish/inconsiderate? Or a bit of both?
This. The climber population, like the human population in general, is full of selfish, inconsiderate A-holes. Only way to solve this problem is to speak up when people are doing it. Uncomfortable? Yes. But public shame is probably the only solution. As a community, we are probably going to get to the point (or are already there) where wag bags are a mandatory part of your climbing kit. If this is the case, then you don't even need to be all spy vs. spy on people, you just need to notice that someone leaves to go crap and doesn't take a wag bag. Boom. Politely ask them, WTF?
ABB · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 0

How about launching crap off a belay ledge so it contaminates a bunch of grips on two immensely popular routes? Bad deed doing your duty with absolute disregard for others. A few weeks ago on Cynical Pinnacle :

"WARNING: somebody pooped on the first belay ledge Wench's and threw it down to the base of the route. There are little bits of poop scattered at the base and a pretty sizable amount on top of the start. Be warned, my climbing partner got poop-hands this weekend. It was super gross.

If you are the culprit and you find yourself reading this, please go back and clean it up thoroughly. Two of the most classic climbs in the state, and you literally soiled them." WARNING: somebody pooped on the first belay ledge Wench's and threw it down to the base of the route. There are little bits of poop scattered at the base and a pretty sizable amount on top of the start. Be warned, my climbing partner got poop-hands this weekend. It was super gross. If you are the culprit and you find yourself reading this, please go back and clean it up thoroughly. Two of the most classic climbs in the state, and you literally soiled them.

Steve Williams · · The state of confusion · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 235

Of course, none of the offenders would ever read this thread.
But they do need to read. . .

How to shit in the woods

Monty · · Golden, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 3,520

The last time we were at thunder a gal pooped 25 ft from is this for real... I only know this because we caught her in the act. Instead of burying it properly, she put a couple leaves on it. My dog, being the poop lover that she is, had her way with the delicacy (poop). I was pretty pissed until she came back around the corner to pet our dog who proceeded to lick her face. The moral of the story is dispose of your shit properly.

Monty wrote:The last time we were at thunder a gal pooped 25 ft from is this for real... I only know this because we caught her in the act. Instead of burying it properly, she put a couple leaves on it. My dog, being the poop lover that she is, had her way with the delicacy (poop). I was pretty pissed until she came back around the corner to pet our dog who proceeded to lick her face. The moral of the story is dispose of your shit properly.
Well leaves start the biodegrading process of course!

Anywhere that is a good transition from the gym, I suppose...
And when you get large numbers, the statistics eventually mean you get a few bad apples.

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Animals poop outside. It hasn't killed anyone yet.

Russ Keane wrote:Animals poop outside. It hasn't killed anyone yet.
Animal poop is considerably different than human poop. Stepping in human shit is also considerably different than stepping in animal poop.

And that still is no excuse for disgusting lazy behavior. Also go up to Rollins Pass and take a look at the sea of white from all the people shitting everywhere and just leaving their TP on top.
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Russ Keane wrote:Animals poop outside. It hasn't killed anyone yet.
Easily the dumbest post of the week.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Human shit at Thunder Ridge"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.