Mountain Project Logo

DUI Check Point going in to Indian Creek 3/24/17

Original Post
Sam Feuerborn · · Carbondale · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 810

There will be a DUI/Driver's license safety check point on 211 from 5-11pm on March 24th. Just a heads up for folks heading to the Creek this weekend this is the road you turn on to that leads to Canyonlands.

Ralph Swansen · · Boulder CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 761

Thank you.

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

That's the weirdest friggen place to put a DUI checkpoint. When I was at the creek I didn't see anyone drinking there except my group and it was at the end of the day.

Is this Utah getting back at outdoors folks over Bear's Ears?

The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460

Strange... is there an event or something going on? It isn't a "drinking holiday" or anything... maybe March Madness, but that's not typically an event that police dept's go out heavy to catch DUI's for unless you're in a college town where the team has gone to the sweet 16 or further...

Scott O · · Anchorage · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 70

Trying to manufacture a reason to search out of staters?

BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240
Sam Feuerborn wrote:There will be a DUI/Driver's license safety check point on 211 from 5-11pm on March 24th. Just a heads up for folks heading to the Creek this weekend this is the road you turn on to that leads to Canyonlands.
Thanks for the information do you know of any other planned check points within San Juan County?
Joe Cappiello · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 0

Seems like the perfect time and place to "ensure the safety" of folks headed to the Creek for the weekend and/or spring break. Hopefully it's not a signal of LEO's ramping up enforcement against out of staters and others headed to recreate. It's bad enough they already associate green CO plates with the other green stuff from Colorado.

Highlander · · Ouray, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 256

They have been doing these a few times every season, good excuse to search vehicles and harass those with CO plates. Know your rights. Also rangers are patrolling campgrounds to make sure folks are paying and don't have too many vehicles in a site. The ticket is something like $70.

Alex Drew · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

It's the start of spring break for many universities so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

A future head's up...if the Governor signs the bill that's passed the legislature, the DUI BAC will go to 0.05%.

fox13now.com/2017/03/16/pre…

303scott · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 195

Seems like they do go out of their way to find a reason to confront you. Was out there a while back when the LEO drove directly to the message board and searched it until he found a "for sale" note (as opposed to a message for someone). When he pulled it down I asked if he had found something good to buy, at which point he advised me it was improper (illegal?) to post anything other than a message. He then marched off to the campsite referenced in the note and spent 20 minutes there poking around. I have since noticed them regularly perusing the message boards.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

may you blow your blunt smoke into the alcoholic breathalyzer at traffic stop, and will it detect you? like your russian hacked smart tv watching you in your living room?

I find it best to consume the copious amount of CBD for the pain relief when climbing for crack

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121

Here's a novel idea.....DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!

If you follow that rule you won't have to worry about DUI checkpoints, and if you don't follow that rule, I hope you lose your license.

GLD · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 83
flexyourrights.org/faqs/my-…

also search for the youtube video of the guy who tlaks about preprinting signs so you don't even have to talk.
GLD · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 83
Eric Carlos wrote:Here's a novel idea.....DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE! If you follow that rule you won't have to worry about DUI checkpoints, and if you don't follow that rule, I hope you lose your license.
No need for rights if you have nothing to hide! Trust your government.
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Petsfed 00 · · Snohomish, WA · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 989
Eric Carlos wrote:Here's a novel idea.....DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE! If you follow that rule you won't have to worry about DUI checkpoints, and if you don't follow that rule, I hope you lose your license.
And if you've been sober for months, but are acting "erratically" (like you just drove for 5-9 hours) they'll graciously spend 2 hours searching your car to make sure you don't fall off the wagon.
Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121
GLD wrote: No need for rights if you have nothing to hide! Trust your government.
Illegal search and seizure is totally different, but I have seen a lot of inebriated climbers leaving areas like Indian Creek when they shouldn't have been driving.
BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240
You make a very valid point but it's more of not wanting to give a LEO the opportunity to "establish probable cause" to do a search of the vehicle. These stops are not just for DUI but to look for anything to give a cause for them to issue a citation or search and I'd rather avoid the situation all together. So simply not drinking doesn't mean that you don't have anything to worry about at a roadblock. I agree 110% with you on the don't drink and drive however, all they need to do is say they have reason to think that you're DUI and they can conduct their DUI investigation and in the end even if you blow 0.00 doesn't mean that they won't arrest you for suspicion of DUI (they could believe you're on prescription meds) and by the time you even get the test to prove either way they've already impounded your car and booked you into jail. Not saying this is what would happen but remember they're there to investigate crimes and that is what they are looking for they are not looking for people obeying they law which means if they're talking to you they are looking for something; better to avoid IMO.
Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391
jgfox wrote:Is this Utah getting back at outdoors folks over Bear's Ears?
Well hey, everyone wanted federal protection. So, here's your government sponsored protection.

It's a two-edged sword.
RKM · · Alpine, Utah and Almo, ID · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 2,233

Broken Chair: I really think they (LEO - as you call them) are out to investigate drunk or impaired driving. I really don't think they are going to search a car with someone obviously not impaired.

And, what could they possible find in your car if you have nothing illegal or nothing to hide. I guess they could cite you for not have a front license plate on your car - I've had that happen at a DUI check point. A simple $40, same as not wearing your seat belt. Big deal!

I hate drunk driving, I really, really hate drunk driving. And support any way to slow it down.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "DUI Check Point going in to Indian Creek 3/24/17"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started