Mountain Project Logo

Epoxy expiration?

Original Post
C Williams · · Sketchy, Blackvanistan · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,556

I have a tube(package?) of Hilti HY-200A with a date on the nozzle of 05/2014. Is this an expiration or manufacture date? If it's an expiration date how severely does this affect the strength of the epoxy assuming the storage conditions have been cool, dark, and dry. It's an unopened package and I'd like to use it for glue-ins but if the possible expiration is a problem it would be good to know.

Date?

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

My guess would be the expiration. It's likely fine, I haven't used that particular type of epoxy before, it would be worth a call to your local hilti rep for a second opinion.

diepj · · PDX · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

That is definitely the expiration. Expiration is usually about 2 years after manufacture, so your product is over double the shelf life.

On a job site it would be rejected. It may still work or it may not harden properly. My suggestion would be to get a new tube to be safe. Don't forget to properly clean your holes!

Erik Keever · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 414
psc-mongolia.com/files/prod…

Indicates shelf life of 12 months, so either would place it well past use-by. Sometimes these things will stay good a very long time if they're sealed/unopened, or if the degradation mechanism is thermal and they're kept cold, or both.

Either way you need to know. Can you install a test bolt & measure pullout strength?

More about the goop than anyone wants to know here:
us.hilti.com/medias/sys_mas…
Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

HY-200A isn´t epoxy.

Ryan7crew · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 485
Jim Titt wrote:HY-200A isn´t epoxy.
Although it isn't called "epoxy" it is epoxy. Structural engineers spec it all the time on Construction sites to drill and dowel rebar into concrete on construction site. My typical rule of thumb is, if it's good enough for the foundation of a 4 story building, it's good enough for me.
Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Ryan7crew wrote: Although it isn't called "epoxy" it is epoxy. Structural engineers spec it all the time on Construction sites to drill and dowel rebar into concrete on construction site. My typical rule of thumb is, if it's good enough for the foundation of a 4 story building, it's good enough for me.
It isn´t called epoxy because it isn´t one, it´s a urethane methlacrylate.
While it is a resin that I prefer installers to use over epoxy I would have little confidence in a customer who neither knows the difference nor bothers to find out exactly what resin they use. If nothing else it implies they never read the safety data sheet. (I own Germany´s largest bolt manufacturer).
Greg Barnes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,065

Toss it.

Now.

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114
Greg Barnes wrote:Toss it. Now.
+1000

Using the expired resin is being purposefully neglectful.
Michael Schneiter · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined Apr 2002 · Points: 10,406

For sure, I wouldn't use it for bolts. But, I have used expired glue/epoxy for reinforcing holds or other non-bolt purposes. Most of the time it sets up fine but I've had some not set up, illustrating that the expiration date on it can matter. Particularly for stuff 3 years old I would not use it.

C Williams · · Sketchy, Blackvanistan · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,556

Thanks for the thoughts and wisdom, I'm new to Hilti adhesive. I decided to toss the resin as there are too many variables and I would never use a resin/epoxy that may not properly set. Even using it to reinforce holds seems like a bad idea, if it doesn't set I've just littered the clif with goop.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Epoxy expiration?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started