Mountain Project Logo

Backpack vs. Car

Original Post
TJ Aguilera · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 110

Anybody else run over their pack by accident after a taxing day in the mountains? Yesterday, after an exhausting day I backed up over my pack as it was leaned up against the back of the car and I forgot to put it inside the vehicle. I think the combination of dehydration and my thirst for a cold Tecate contributed to my backpack blunder. I guess I'm looking for someone to chime in here and tell me that I am not alone. Bonus points if you include a picture!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
TJ Aguilera wrote:Anybody else run over their pack by accident after a taxing day in the mountains? Yesterday, after an exhausting day I backed up over my pack as it was leaned up against the back of the car and I forgot to put it inside the vehicle. I think the combination of dehydration and my thirst for a cold Tecate contributed to my backpack blunder. I guess I'm looking for someone to chime in here and tell me that I am not alone. Bonus points if you include a picture!
No, never.
When I've been that wiped out and spacey I've never considered driving to be a good idea.
Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

I have driven over a forgotten bicycle wheel if that helps you feel a bit better. Wasn't even really very tired.

RandyLee · · On the road · Joined May 2016 · Points: 246

Mistakes have been made pre-coffee. Luckily nothing was broken. But really, anything before coffee is a mistake...

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

I backed up over my partner once. I dug a shallow grave in the parking lot, said a few words, and let him rest in peace.

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

Well considering how many folks here have driven off without their packs full of trad gear, ice tools and hiking poles I'd say you are in fine company.

frank minunni · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2011 · Points: 95
Nick Sweeney wrote:I backed up over my partner once. I dug a shallow grave in the parking lot, said a few words, and let him rest in peace.
At least you didn't drop him.
ScottJM · · Montana · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

Flyrod once. I try not to put things on the ground around my vehicle anymore. I avoid putting things on top of my vehicle also. If I must, I put them in the truck bed or on the windshield in front of the driver's seat.

Ryan Hill · · Denver, CO · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 30
Scott McMahon wrote:Well considering how many folks here have driven off without their packs full of trad gear, ice tools and hiking poles I'd say you are in fine company.
I left my pack next to a rock and drove off after climbing North 6-Shooter. Got back to camp, set up a hammock and was almost asleep when I realized what I had done. Drove back up the dirt road and wash to get the pack...slashed a tire on a hidden rock during the drive back. Felt moderately stupid, but very happy that I'd bought a real spare tire earlier that year. My climbing partner was kind enough not to laugh until I gave him permission to do so.
John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

Early onset oldclimbers. ;)

JD · · Southern AZ · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

digbot here, don't beat yourself up too much. it happens.

if you trashed a bit a gear and have homeowners they may cover the replacements.

(drive into garage, bike on top)

B Jolley · · Utah · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 172
Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

Left a cannister stove behind a rear tire to cool off after making breakfast. 10 hours later - throw the packs in, back up, crunch. Luckily no ka-boom.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

saw the shattered headstock of a martin D45 ($9,000.00 guitar) at my luthiers. Packing up after the gig @ 4am it was leaning up against the back of the band van when it backed out to leave.. stoners and drunks for the most part ;)

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

I used to drive over my chalk bag when we all used block chalk. It was a strawberry mountain, super tough.

Nick Goldsmith wrote:saw the shattered headstock of a martin D45 ($9,000.00 guitar) at my luthiers. Packing up after the gig @ 4am it was leaning up against the back of the band van when it backed out to leave.. stoners and drunks for the most part ;)
Ugh...as a guitar player hearing that HURTS!!!

BTW did you see the movie "the Hateful Eight"? Apparently in the scence where they smashed the guitar they forgot to swap out the circa 1845 Martin. It was insured, but destroyed beyond repair. Some prop guy was fired that day for sure.
john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

Where's Pete Townsend ?

Lou Cerutti · · Carlsbad, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 209

I heard Tarantino intended for that to happen so that he could get the reaction out of Daisy. she knew it hadn't been switched and knew how priceless it was but no one else did. Or something like that. He has a history of stunts like this and it's the guitar museums fault for lending it to him.

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

I ran over my son once but he's no worse for wear!

Lou Cerutti wrote:I heard Tarantino intended for that to happen so that he could get the reaction out of Daisy. she knew it hadn't been switched and knew how priceless it was but no one else did. Or something like that. He has a history of stunts like this and it's the guitar museums fault for lending it to him.
UGH...well that would be the stupidest thing I ever heard of. Let's hope it's just a rumor. That's what they call priceless.
Greg Miller · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 30

Left a nice pair of ski gloves on top of my car once, then proceeded to drive the 40 miles home (with 20ish of that on I-70). Amazingly enough, one of them was still up there when I got home.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Backpack vs. Car"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started