Mountain Project Logo

Yellow Master Cam on Sixish @ The Gunks

Original Post
Chris Duca · · Dixfield, ME · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 2,330

My partner got a yellow Master Cam of mine stuck about midway up Sixish on Wednesday, the 28th. Beer and good vibes to the person who retrieves and returns it to me! I'll pay for shipping, as well.

Pat A · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 20

Got your cam out but it's pretty seased and f'd up after 3 months of weather and people beating on it. I can send it to ya if you still want it.

Fan Zhang · · Colorado · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,704

If this was half way up pitch one, I saw it in mid Jan and it was already starting to show signs of rust back then.

lucander · · Stone Ridge, NY · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 260

Regardless of condition, @PatA put in the time to extract and then reached out to you. Low end standard for a returned cam is a 6 pack x 2 of craft beer - do the man a solid!

Fan Zhang · · Colorado · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,704

Word, lucander!

Pat A · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 20

Yeah it's pretty rusty. I really just removed it to help keep the gunks a trad area

Chris Duca · · Dixfield, ME · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 2,330

Thanks for removing it, Pat, but at this point, the piece isn't worth it to me. Thanks, though!

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40

I was just watching someone try to clean this a couple weeks ago!

lucander · · Stone Ridge, NY · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 260

Chris cleans Pat's trash and Pat doesn't give compensation? Somewhere in here is a dysfunctional society metaphor or an algebra word problem.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

One of my many tinkering activities is repairing "possibly dead" cams. If I might ask, let me work on this unit (leave it for me at R&S) and if it comes back to life, we split whatever remuneration ultimately comes of it. OK? Mike

Jordon · · Rochester, MN · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 233
Gunkiemike wrote: One of my many tinkering activities is repairing "possibly dead" cams. If I might ask, let me work on this unit (leave it for me at R&S) and if it comes back to life, we split whatever remuneration ultimately comes of it. OK? Mike

Have you been able to repair any cams? I'm asking because I just bought a used cam with some light rust on the axle. I'm wondering if there's a good way to remove the rust?

Justin Meyer · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2012 · Points: 47

One of my many tinkering activities is repairing "possibly dead" cams. If I might ask, let me work on this unit (leave it for me at R&S) and if it comes back to life, we split whatever remuneration ultimately comes of it. OK? Mike

Are you saying that you repair cams that have been stuck and abused for months and then sell them? Do you tell potential buyers where they come from?

Logan Schiff · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 60
Justin Meyer wrote:

Are you saying that you repair cams that have been stuck and abused for months and then sell them? Do you tell potential buyers where they come from?

He probably brings them to the Rock and Snow Annex where they are sold on consignment as used buyer beware gear for pretty low prices. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Jordon wrote:

Have you been able to repair any cams? I'm asking because I just bought a used cam with some light rust on the axle. I'm wondering if there's a good way to remove the rust?

Light surface rust on the axle ends is nothing to worry about. If the axle is rusty enough to impede free movement of the cam lobes, give it a shot of WD-40 and work the lobes vigorously. If it's still scratchy, it either needs to be disassembled and cleaned (not always possible; depends on the type of cam) or retired.

As to what I do with recovered cams, if they restore to 100% function, then yes I sell them, $10 and up. If they need a new sling, I get one put on. If they are junk, they get used for art projects.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Lost and Found
Post a Reply to "Yellow Master Cam on Sixish @ The Gunks"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started