Mountain Project Logo

Basecamp water storage system

Original Post
Nate K · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 240

anybody have experience keeping a water reserve from freezing? was thinking of brining some kind of huge thermos type thing up to KIA this spring. would be nice to be able to melt water in bulk and keep it from turning back to ice.

diepj · · PDX · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

No experience doing that but at KIA you should have relatively good luck keeping bottles unfrozen in bottle jackets and/or tucked in sleeping bags, etc. (Assuming you're there in the normal season.)At least long enough that you could do your main melting 1x per day if you bring enough bottles.
Maybe you could use an "insulated" Coleman water jug thing although I don't know that I would trust it in my bag.

In general I never really had a problem with doing more or less 2 melt sessions per day. Basically fire up and top off the bottles and melt what you need to cook or drink. Depending how much you drink overnight the morning burn is pretty quick and the evening is a bigger session. If you have a big group it can get to be a lot but if you're taking turns you don't have to do as much.

In the end you will spend the same number of hours staring at slush no matter how you do it!

wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

Nalgene bottles stored in the sleeping bag.  Bonus is that the bag is nice and warm at night too.  Probably wouldnt want to sleep with more than 2 though.  

If you wanted more than 2 liters per person, extra bottles could be kept in a puffy jacket in the corner of the tent.  

Kevin Do · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I have usually just used a storage bag like the drome bags from MSR. After I'm done filling them, I bury them under unpacked snow. Never had much issues with the water turning back to ice/snow!

Kevin Zagorda · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 600

I've just put the lid on the water pot and left it overnight in a small "shelf" dug into the side of a snowbank plenty of times in the Alaska Range in May and June at lower altitudes (<12K) without having it freeze.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Basecamp water storage system"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started